Alcohol Policy Enforcement

foxylady47

It doesn't matter what is "right" or what "should be" nor does it matter what the local laws are. Princess makes the rules. Period. They have the few ships that sail out of a specific region where they say the limit is 18 years of age. On most of their ships they say the limit is 21 years of age.

Violate the rules at your own risk. If one violates the rules and is booted off of the ship at the next port of call there will be nobody to blame but themselves. It's really very simple.

So, why not 21 on all ships ?

Come to think about it the drinking age was 18 on my Ruby cruise 2 years ago from Venice to Rome.

There is nowhere in Europe that I have come across that has a drinking age of 21. I wish I had taken a picture of the sticker on the advisory now as I remember a couple of Americans questioning the sticker when sat at the Tradewinds bar.

It shouldn't be an issue. Just got off a Caribbean cruise on the Royal, and spoke with a family with a similar issue - 18 year old son who wanted a drink. they bought for him and didn't have any issues in any bars or restaurants.

Obviously if it was taken to far it would be become an issue. Gone are the days when i was a kid, when technology wasn't that good on board and your cruise card would have a yellow highlighter drawn onto it to indicate you were underage - with a little bit of water and then scraping the yellow marking off the card looked no different and the alcohol could flow.

We are trying to plan a cruise with out European friends who has an 18 year old son. Legal drinking age in his country is 18. Princess policy does not allow 18 year old to drink regardless of Embarkation Port or being in international waters. We were wondering how strictly they enforce the rule. Would there be a problem if his parents purchased and gave it to

him?

Princess has many rules (eg, saving pool chairs) that they do

Not enforce. Assume they would not allow the young man to purchase with his card but wondered if an adult purchased how closely they would monitor.

If your ship sails from Southampton or another UK port 18+ are allowed to drink, other than that I think as long as don't order in the MDR and are decreet ;) you'll be ok, well that the plan with our 20 year old..

Come to think about it the drinking age was 18 on my Ruby cruise 2 years ago from Venice to Rome.

There is nowhere in Europe that I have come across that has a drinking age of 21. I wish I had taken a picture of the sticker on the advisory now as I remember a couple of Americans questioning the sticker when sat at the Tradewinds bar.

Has nothing to do with Princess. The age restriction is their policy.

When we sailed the Ruby/Regal from Rome and Venice it was 21.

Southampton is a different story.

We recently travelled with friends on the Sapphire Princess from Singapore to Beijing. Our friends Son who had turned Eighteen only three weeks prior to the cruise had no problem being served an alchohlic drink and in fact had the all inclusive drinks package for the Seventeen nights of the cruise. He was never overly intoxicated and acted like the responsible adullt he is for the duration.:cool: