Getaway April 18-25 Review with Photos

Dinner that evening was at Moderno the Brazilian Steakhouse. The salad bar was wonderful and the amount of meat that comes around is unbelievable. I tried the traditional strawberry caipirinha which I would recommend avoiding. The drink was so strong that I had a hard time finishing it.

Totally agree with you. After 2 sips I had them mix it with other non alcoholic liquids to be able to drink it. :)

A quick note on the dining package as a perk. You will receive a check at the end of dinner showing upcharge; so in this case $40.00 and then it shows the discount of $40.00. They do this for the gratuity since it is not included in the perk as it would be if you were purchasing the dining package. In addition, if you order cocktails with the meal it will come on a separate check so make sure that you double-check what they have presented to you.

Nice review!

That is good to know, I have 2 rooms in August and 1 room got the UDP as a promo and the other room was paid for. Something tells me they will try to double charge me the 18% on the pre purchased room which means I will have to keep a copy of my receipt with me whenever we go to eat or join all the other people standing on line at guest services at the end of the cruise.

Oh joy!

Edited by iimmie

Dis you se a lot of dancing on this Cruise?

We have been on the ship twice. There wasnt a lot of danicing. The deck parties ( glow, 80's ,etc) are a HUGE crowd of people, no room for dancing dancing. Bliss nightclub had a deejay and we have never seen more than 20 people in there, more drinking than dancing it seems. Maybe you and your gang can take over and make some music requests? BLiss could use some dancing folks!

Dis you se a lot of dancing on this Cruise?

The Bliss nightclub was always busy when we went past it and all the guests were dancing away. I had heard other reviewers say that they did not play dance music but it did not seem to be the case.

They also had a 70's disco groove party, 80's deck party, and a 90's deck party which were all held outside in Spice. And then of course the GLOW dance party.

You should have a great time:)

Thanks for the review and thanks for the memories.

I agree with you about La Cucina. We had good/great food everywhere but La Cucina was the only bad meal the entire cruise. Its MDR quality. No need for an additional cover charge. We had the gnocchi at La Cucina and Taste and the gnocchi was definitely better at Taste.

That is interesting that the gnocchi was better at Taste. I agree that if you do not have the UDP to skip La Cucina and spend your dollars somewhere else.

Totally agree with you. After 2 sips I had them mix it with other non alcoholic liquids to be able to drink it. :)

LOL..I am glad to hear that it was not just me. It made my eyes cross each time I took a sip:D.

Nice review!

That is good to know, I have 2 rooms in August and 1 room got the UDP as a promo and the other room was paid for. Something tells me they will try to double charge me the 18% on the pre purchased room which means I will have to keep a copy of my receipt with me whenever we go to eat or join all the other people standing on line at guest services at the end of the cruise.

Oh joy!

Yes, I would definitely keep track as you go just for peace of mind. It also helps if you have the iconcierge app which is free to download since you can check your bill whenever you want. I loved that it was updated in real time. It definitely was great seeing exactly where we were each day in terms of dollars.

Overall, this was a relaxing vacation on a beautiful new ship. I would definitely recommend the getaway and would not hesitate to book it again if the ports were something that we were interested in seeing.

I think the only thing we would do different would be waiting until we are onboard to decide when to eat dinner just so that we have more flexibility.

FREESTYLE DAILIES

If anyone is in need of the current freestyle dailies send me your email address. I plan on putting them all in a pdf tomorrow so they will be ready to be sent.

QUESTIONS

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. I will do my best to answer them.

Yes, Please ! I would love to plan ahead ! jwbognar@yahoo.com . Thanks in advance

Thank You!!

Yes, I did :). They were so addictive.

I also became obsessed with the key lime cinnamon roll. It was so big (bigger than my DH's hand) that we would share one each morning.

Greetings

Thanks for the review. Was the cinnamon roll at the Flamingo?

Good Sailing

Tom

Haven't read through the entire thread but just wondering if you knew? When we signed up for our cruise we were offered the dine around package as a perk. How do we reserve the restaurants? while on the ship or before we cruise? How are the reservations handled on the Breakaway for the specialty restaurants?

Is it done on their webpage before we leave or is there a number to call while onboard? Please let me know if you can...

Greetings

Thanks for the review. Was the cinnamon roll at the Flamingo?

Good Sailing

Tom

Yes, the cinnamon roll was at the Flamingo Buffet which is tucked away near the Spice H20 pool.

Michelle

Michelle ok I read everything.

Please tell me were you happy you reserved your dinners in advance or could you have just popped in at the specialty restaurants without a reservation and gone to eat each evening. Did you feel pressured to reserve all your dining restaurants beforehand?

Haven't read through the entire thread but just wondering if you knew? When we signed up for our cruise we were offered the dine around package as a perk. How do we reserve the restaurants? while on the ship or before we cruise? How are the reservations handled on the Breakaway for the specialty restaurants?

Is it done on their webpage before we leave or is there a number to call while onboard? Please let me know if you can...

Those are all great questions. I ended up reading as much Getaway reviews and information as I could before I left. CC information helps a great deal in what to expect and do before your cruise.

Yes, you can go ahead and make your reservations online. It will automatically give you a zero dollar balance. Once you have all your reservations made then they will show up on your cruise documents along with your ship excursions.

If you have more than 2 guests with the dining package you are able to make the reservations for the number of guests in your party (we had 4). The server will ask for a card from each cabin before bringing the check.

We only had an issue once of where our paperwork said 6 pm but when I confirmed the time that day it was set for 5:30 pm. No biggie but I am glad that I double-checked.

You can also make your entertainment reservations online the same way. Just note that there are some that have a fee.

The only other thing that I did not mention in my review which was different from the smaller NCL ships is the placing of your room key into the electrical slot when you walk in the room. This will provide power to your cabin. This means that when you take out your card and you are charging devices they are not charging. Also, if you forget to take your card out you are locked out of your cabin unless another person has the card on them.

I had read that you can use an old room key from a hotel to bypass the sea card in the slot but we did not do that. Our steward said that it confuses them since the outside white light above your door stays lit (means that the guests are inside the cabin) and that they would avoid bothering you:D.

Michelle

Edited by sunnyvegas