Early Saver

Has anyone else noticed the new loop holes in the early saver price protection? In the past we've loved booking early with the knowledge, if the price drops we're covered. No problem submitting the form.

We're not able to get the new prices because the wording on each, and every sale they have. To be eligible for this sale or that one we might have to change our cabin etc....

Lesson learned!! No more booking early for us. So much for price protection.

Pennie

I never wanted to book early saver, so when I found my cruise I booked something called "Lowest Price Guarantee".

Didn't think to research since it did not say early saver anywhere. Guess what, it is another term for early saver. DUH!

Won't make that mistake again. :(

early saver rules haven't changed. Not sure what the OP means.

Never had a problem getting a price change due to a drop before. Hitting a brick wall each time the price drops this time. We're sailing in August. Friends are sailing May. They're experiencing the same problem.

Something has changed!

early saver rules haven't changed. Not sure what the OP means.

I have no idea either. Especially the part about having to change rooms. I'm booked as Early Saver for my Nov 2016 cruise and have already submitted one price drop form. The room I'm booked in never changed, nor did I ever expect it to.

Never had a problem getting a price change due to a drop before. Hitting a brick wall each time the price drops this time. We're sailing in August. Friends are sailing May. They're experiencing the same problem.

Something has changed!

You do have to be price matching the same cruise, date, ship, exact same cabin category and same number of PAX.

If the "Govt Fees and Taxes" have increased, if you take a price match you are charged the new "Govt Fees and Taxes" which are basically deducted from your price drop - sometimes negating it.

You have to account for OBC in that if original booking offered OBC and the new one doesn't, you lose the OBC, negating the overall price drop. OBC from booking onboard, shareholder, etc. is not included but is often confused by the reps.

Booked ES, you are allowed ONCE to "switch" to a Guarantee Rate, in which case you lose some ES privileges and have to give up your assigned cabin and join the Guarantee Pool.

If your price match is legit the reps often initially reject it and you have to call and plead your case, but the above rules will apply.

Ken

I dont know if there have been changes or not to ES, but I admit, it is a very confusing fare. My upcoming cruise is ES, and I have gotten a couple of small breaks with it, but I highly doubt that I will ever book ES again, due to all the restrictions.

Has anyone else noticed the new loop holes in the early saver price protection? In the past we've loved booking early with the knowledge, if the price drops we're covered. No problem submitting the form.

We're not able to get the new prices because the wording on each, and every sale they have. To be eligible for this sale or that one we might have to change our cabin etc....

Lesson learned!! No more booking early for us. So much for price protection.

Pennie

Booked ES, you are allowed ONCE to "switch" to a Guarantee Rate, in which case you lose some ES privileges and have to give up your assigned cabin and join the Guarantee Pool. This is the only case I know of where you lose your assigned cabin - if you match to any rate with "Guarantee" Cabins.

Booked ES you're eligible to match to any promo rate (resident, senior, military.....) that you're eligible for; the caveats "Applies to new bookings only" doesn't normally apply to ES price-matching.

ken

I have no idea either. Especially the part about having to change rooms. I'm booked as Early Saver for my Nov 2016 cruise and have already submitted one price drop form. The room I'm booked in never changed, nor did I ever expect it to.

I suspect the OP is referencing Carnival's desire to only offer guaranteed fares closer to sail date. So you can't price match any more as the fare is only for a guaranteed cabin in that category.

I saw that as well with my cruise. At a certain point, the lower fares were all guarantees.

I've always had lots of luck with the early saver program... Cruise last September I wound up with an $900 OBC and never changed rooms.

Even had to change my cruise date one time under earlier saver and they waived the fee.

I suspect the OP is referencing Carnival's desire to only offer guaranteed fares closer to sail date. So you can't price match any more as the fare is only for a guaranteed cabin in that category.

I saw that as well with my cruise. At a certain point, the lower fares were all guarantees.

Actually Carnival has become less restrictive on this; booked ES, you are now allowed ONCE to "switch" to a Guarantee Rate, giving up your assigned cabin for a Guarantee cabin. Ken

Actually Carnival has become less restrictive on this; booked ES, you are now allowed ONCE to "switch" to a Guarantee Rate, giving up your assigned cabin for a Guarantee cabin. Ken

I always assumed that was an option? But again, you are giving up your cabin for a Guarantee. It doesn't do much good for the person looking for lower fares who wants to keep their selected cabin.

Something has changed!

The rules for the fare haven't changed. But you don't always get price drops. It just depends. It can be frustrating.

My current Sunshine sailing for August, I've gotten at least 5 drops. Might have been 6. Latest was last week. Now the price for my cabin type is up $300! My specific category is sold out, but even if it wasn't, prices would have to drop as dramatically as they went up in order for me to see anymore price drops.

You should be able to price match to a guarantee rate once, but you give up your specific room choice. If you are finding legitimate drops - meaning the exact category and occupancy amount match and you keep getting denied, then you should ask for a supervisor. I have never had a problem getting legitimate price drops, and I use a TA which some think makes things more cumbersome.

What is the difference between the ES and the Fun Select (FS) (besides the 2-level upgrade offer)? Does the FS give you more protection than the ES?

No. Less. Because with ES, you can price match to lower rates up to two days before sailing. With Fun select as well as any other rate (other than guarantees) you can price match only up to your final payment due date.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

As stated, in the past I've been blessed to book the early saver. Watch for sales like a hawk. Every time the price drops for this sailing, I'm told that we're not eligible unless we wan't to give up our assigned cabin.

This has never been a factor before. This isn't something I'm new at. Going on three cruises this year.

Just noting what I'm experiencing on this sailing. Never doubted the price protection before.

Pennie

I have used Early Saver for last four cruises, two already sailed and two booked.

I have never yet been denied a drop in price that I believed I was entitled to take, though a couple of times have had a little trouble with customer service reps acknowledging that some kinds of OBC stay with you (eg booking on-board).

By the same token it helps if a person understands that promotional OBC and reduced deposit promotions will be forfeited if you price match to a rate that does not include these perks.

Early Saver works fine if you understand the rules.

As stated, in the past I've been blessed to book the early saver. Watch for sales like a hawk. Every time the price drops for this sailing, I'm told that we're not eligible unless we wan't to give up our assigned cabin.

This has never been a factor before. This isn't something I'm new at. Going on three cruises this year.

Just noting what I'm experiencing on this sailing. Never doubted the price protection before.

Pennie

I guess this is the part I don't understand. If you aren't asking to price match to a guaranteed rate, why would customer service tell you this? It doesn't make sense. Please help me understand. :confused:

When I went on the fareviewer, this is what it says by the ES rate:

Choose your stateroom plus you get price protection; deposit is non-refundable; changes allowed for $50.

A few questions:

The $500 deposit is non-refundable so if we had to cancel due to illness, we wouldn't get that back? Wouldn't trip insurance cover that though?

Is a price drop considered a change? Or are they meaning changing the amount of passengers, changing the date, the ship, etc?

When I went on the fareviewer, this is what it says by the ES rate:

Choose your stateroom plus you get price protection; deposit is non-refundable; changes allowed for $50.

A few questions:

The $500 deposit is non-refundable so if we had to cancel due to illness, we wouldn't get that back? Wouldn't trip insurance cover that though? Prior to final payment, if you cancel, whatever you have paid (less a $50 administrative fee per person) is held in the passenger's name towards a future cruise credit that has to be used within 24 months. After final payment, normal penalties apply based on a sliding scale. The closer to your cruise date, the more money you loose. Trip insurance would cover it depending on your policy.

Is a price drop considered a change? No. Not when it comes to charging you the $50 fee for changes. Or are they meaning changing the amount of passengers, changing the date, the ship, etc?

This. Yes.

• 1 month later...
Someone tell me this.....After submitting the price reduction form on ES, how many days did you half to wait before you heard anything? I submitted the form last Thursday, (6-4), and havent heard a thing.

I submitted a form today and had a we approved you price reduction in an hour.

In the last month, I have gotten $160 in OBC from price drops. Never have I had to change my room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I submitted the form for OBC for our two rooms, for April (B2B), then one room had a price drop, so I submitted three forms total. I received confirmation within an hour of each. Thursday is too long, and I'd follow up.

I would NOT submit a price protection form on a guaranteed rate, as I want the room i have picked out. I think carnivals rules on guaranteed vs. early saver are pretty clear. You have to give up ES and you lose your assigned room.