The Benefits of Seabourn Cruising

Apropos of Markham's Regent 'lady' - she could of course have asked room service to deliver free caviar as well as any drinks - one benefit most of us are not too bothered about, but I think SB is probably the only line still to offer caviar ad lib whenever and wherever you want?

Wripro,

That's true but some apparently wish it were otherwise...

On a recent Seabourn cruise I happened to sit near a matron who was clearly in charge of her MDR table of 4 and she was holding forth. It was their first Seabourn cruise.

The conversation went something like this:

" We are Regent people but here we are. Then 7:00 pm rolled up and there was no butler to mix my husband's drink in our suite. What were we to do-

go somewhere else or call someone? (hurrumph/snort) No, I guess you could say we are still (sigh) searching, searching for a home..."

And so it dragged on and yet I thoroughly enjoyed the "bragging" rights of the lese majeste "Regent people" victims of Seabourn's style of service. I mean, how DO THEY MANAGE?

I have been acting out this scene to the delight of others ever since! And for their sake- and mine- I hope they are now back on Regent.

Happy sailing!

I hope they are back on Regent too. Sounds like a Brit sitcom from the late 70's. Did she have pink hair ?

Edited by conchyjoe

I wish she was a patch on our Miss Slocum from "Are You Being Served"

since that department store staff delivered their lines knowing that they were in on the joke and were making fun of themselves.

No, the lady was probably late 60s, blonde-assisted, attractive, slim, accessorized and (I am sorry to say) American, accent non-descript for a particular region. But best of all, she apparently had the ears and respect of the others in their MDR 2 couple foursome, while confidently and loudly pontificating. No hint of irony or self-awareness, much less awareness of our adjacent table. And I had all I could do to avoid bursting out loud laughing.

I have been dining off this matron for awhile now. May she live a long life and delight many others, too!

Happy sailing!

I wish she was a patch on our Miss Slocum from "Are You Being Served"

since that department store staff delivered their lines knowing that they were in on the joke and were making fun of themselves.

No, the lady was probably late 60s, blonde-assisted, attractive, slim, accessorized and (I am sorry to say) American, accent non-descript for a particular region. But best of all, she apparently had the ears and respect of the others in their MDR 2 couple foursome, while confidently and loudly pontificating. No hint of irony or self-awareness, much less awareness of our adjacent table. And I had all I could do to avoid bursting out loud laughing.

I have been dining off this matron for awhile now. May she live a long life and delight many others, too!

Happy sailing!

"Blonde Assisted" - love it!

Wripro,

On a recent Seabourn cruise I happened to sit near a matron who was clearly in charge of her MDR table of 4 and she was holding forth. It was their first Seabourn cruise.

" We are Regent people but here we are. Then 7:00 pm rolled up and there was no butler to mix my husband's drink in our suite. What were we to do-

go somewhere else or call someone? (hurrumph/snort) No, I guess you could say we are still (sigh) searching, searching for a home..."

And so it dragged on and yet I thoroughly enjoyed the "bragging" rights of the lese majeste "Regent people" victims of Seabourn's style of service. I mean, how DO THEY MANAGE?

I have been acting out this scene to the delight of others ever since! And for their sake- and mine- I hope they are now back on Regent.

Happy sailing!

That is so sad (but in a way, it is truly fantastic.) They had to pour their own drink in their suite? How horrific.

On the other hand, we just returned from a cruise on Celebrity, in a suite with a butler, and I had no idea what to do with him, other than one day ask for some ice and extra glasses for sail away... I guess I wouldn't it in too well on Regent, either! LOL.

Wripro,

Happy sailing!

OMG! If this were not totally hysterical, I would say this story is a cruise ship nightmare. But actually stories like this make cruising great fun.