Rome to Cruise Port

Cruiser8_8

Please point me to the right direction (options) on getting from a Central Rome Hotel to the Civitavecchia cruise port with two suitcases. I didn't realized that the port was so far away from Rome (1.5HR) . A private carriage service is charging $160 for two people. Is that the norm?How difficult to take train?

Please point me to the right direction (options) on getting from a Central Rome Hotel to the Civitavecchia cruise port with two suitcases. I didn't realized that the port was so far away from Rome (1.5HR) . A private carriage service is charging $160 for two people. Is that the norm?How difficult to take train?

100-125€ is the norm

The train is pretty straightforward, but you might need to lug your bags up and down a flight of stairs at the station. From there it's an inexpensive taxi ride to the port, or there's a bus (haven't taken it myself) to the new port entrance.

We also used Rome Cabs for our transfer. We joined with 2 other couples from our roll call in a 6 passenger van. We were not all at the same hotel, as a matter of fact, we were at 3 different hotels. Cost was 180 EUR but that broke down to 30 EUR pp which at that time was around $50 pp (same as I would pay at home for transfer to the airport).

Very courteous and dependable. We were at breakfast when the clerk at the hotel came over and said I had a phone call. I was very surprised and nervous immediately thinking something had happened at home. It was the driver confirming our pickup at 11:15. He actually arrived at the hotel at 11:00 in the pouring rain transferred us first, then the luggage to the van by himself, refusing assistance from us.

He spoke decent English, we had no problems communicating with him. He didn't keep up a commentary, as he concentrated on the road in the pouring rain. Then as we approached the port, he stated the rain was stopping, and we would have sunshine for our departure, and he was correct.

You will find Europe expensive, although the dollar is doing better against the EURO than when we went a few years ago. Take half the clothes you think you need and twice the money. Have a great trip.

I found this cab company (civitavecchiacabservice.com) for 69 Euros. Seems to get good reviews on the other boards. It's not prepaid so I feel a better knowing that I've not paid anything yet.

I found this cab company (civitavecchiacabservice.com) for 69 Euros. Seems to get good reviews on the other boards. It's not prepaid so I feel a better knowing that I've not paid anything yet.

69 euros per person? That puts it in the same range as everyone else. Cause most are saying around 120 euros for a vehicle that will carry 2 or perhaps 3.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It's 69 Euros for 2 people in a shared shuttle service, so you may be joined by other people. We used them in January both ways and were very pleased. On the way to the port there were another 2 people with us in a minibus and for the return we were alone in a Mercedes!:)

OP - well, at least now you know why some of us travel light! Using the train, while inexpensive and comfortable, requires you to be able to handle all your luggage yourself. And, if you have bags that cannot be lifted into the overheads, you will need to try to stow them in the little luggage area at the rear of the carriage and stay within eye range of the luggage. I can't imagine trying the train if I was lugging 2 large suitcases behind me :eek:

Those taxis/private car, while expensive, are probably your best solution. Absolutely check on your roll call to see if anyone wants to share.