lol Carnival

keith75

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

Well, I'm very sorry you feel that way but it's not us Platinum member fault so please stop bitting our heads off!! :mad: Personally, I would rather take several 7-8 day cruises (which is what I do) in a balcony once or twice (sometimes 3 times) a year than take 1 long cruise every 1-2 years in a suite but that's me. And like I said, not all of us became Platinum by taking a whole bunch of 3-4 day cruises in an Interior or Oceanview.

You could get points for every dollar spent aboard as well. That would make it very fair, IMHO.

I think this is a great idea!! :D HAL does something similar, you get an extra cruise point for every $300 you spend onboard. Works pretty well I think!! :D

A 3 day cruise in an interior cabin in the 90's was, many times, more expensive than some 7 day cruises in a balcony today.

You want fair? Give points based on the cruise fare. $700? 700 points, regardless of length of cruise or cabin category. But even with that system someone will complain that it isn't fair

And they will raise the number of points you need for the higher level to a level that would be much higher than you actually paid for 75 or 200 days of cruising that got you to the Platinum or Diamond.

Some of us that book inside cabins do so because we choose to spend our vacation money on other things. Who is to say just because you're booking a balcony or suite that we aren't spending more money on other things?

I find this whole issue ridiculous. There isn't a loyalty program out there that will sway my decision on which cruise to book. Perks are nice but a $9 drink or a party or a pin make any significant difference to me.

If you're spending 4X times more than the passengers on the cabin across the hall from you, maybe you should consider sailing on a more upscale cruise line where you will be pampered for that kind of money, regardless of past guest status.

DW and I always stay in a suite, we like it and we can afford it. The last time I booked a cruise the TA wanted to move us up to " Cloud Spa " suite. I told her we were fine on deck 7 and if we wanted to upgrade to rub noses with the hoytie toytie people we would change cruise lines.

:D

No offense, but as I've said before, a big reason to cruise on Carnival is for its affordable prices. If you're spending 4X times more than the passengers on the cabin across the hall from you, maybe you should consider sailing on a more upscale cruise line where you will be pampered for that kind of money, regardless of past guest status.

Exactly! At the very least you should try Princess. Being serious, not snarky!:)

Hmmmm platinum cruisers seem to be getting a bad rap! Not all platinum have earned their status by taking 3 day cruises. I did earn mine by all 7 day cruises. Plus the rules were different then so stop bad mouthing us. Everyone followed the guidelines at the time. Carnival isn't the only company that revamps their policies. It happens in every business! Just my 2 cents :)

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

I am one of those awful people who was "grandfathered in". You may not like me but my husband,dog,cat & kids do......;)

You could get points for every dollar spent aboard as well. That would make it very fair, IMHO. [emoji2]

This way the $1,500 suite passenger with the $500 S&S gets 2,000 points, the $750 balcony passenger with the $1,250 S&S gets 2,000 points, and the $250 porthole passenger with the $50 S&S (me [emoji6]) gets 300 points.

IMHO, it would also drive onboard spending up, thus creating more revenue for Carnival. Under this system, someone who is only a couple points away from the next level would most likely order extra drinks, or buy that logo item they were not planning on getting, or indulge that spa treatment, all in an effort to get to that coveted free bag of laundry or those $12 chocolate covered strawberries.

If they would count gambling losses I would be diamond after two cruises :>)

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

Actually whenever apparently, not just in the past.

If you live in/near a port city and skim the $99 3-4 night cruises, Carnival props you up as their crème de la crème.

It is rather astonishing.

Hmmmm platinum cruisers seem to be getting a bad rap! Not all platinum have earned their status by taking 3 day cruises. I did earn mine by all 7 day cruises. Plus the rules were different then so stop bad mouthing us. Everyone followed the guidelines at the time. Carnival isn't the only company that revamps their policies. It happens in every business! Just my 2 cents :)

Oh, yes we 'all' know that. Not all have/did, and no one that I am aware of has said that except your implication above.

We also know. Rules are rules. In today's world, rules apparently are (a) made to be broken by the masses, if not also encouraged to be broken by the brand ambassador and the non compliance attitude of the crews aboard the vessels and (b) are of course subject to change at anytime.

Every business does not dance around changing their programs, confusing their customer bases or invoking/provoking frustration with the customers. Brands get harmed with merry go round policy playmaking.

Edited by eponym

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I will be forever amazed that passengers will actually sell their souls for a few drinks, a "special" line, some free laundry, and obscure status that nobody outside their "realm" cares two hoots about. Carnival has been one smart corporation...knowing that some people really "care" about status and standing and for the price of a few dollars they have filled their ships with these easily swayed individuals. And now that cruising is appealing to another demographic from those who sailed because they could be elite for a few days a year they no longer have to cater to the whims of a few.

Mass cruising is now families, first timers, or those who are smart enough to actually shop competing lines and choosing the "best" match for themselves as far as price and service. Since the cruise lines are inundated with platinum and diamond passengers (someone said their last cruise had over a 1000 per these boards) what is the need to add anymore to the overly swollen list.

I am sure that Carnival can fill its ships with a whole new bunch of travelers, and they will continue to provide ports with lots of loyalists the oldest and least activity oriented ships...why bother to give them something new and fresh when those passengers will only complain about missing chocolates, a free drink, and the "elite" past guest party.

Actually whenever apparently, not just in the past.

If you live in/near a port city and skim the $99 3-4 night cruises, Carnival props you up as their crème de la crème.

It is rather astonishing.

You're right.

I will be forever amazed that passengers will ... Carnival has been one smart corporation...knowing that some people really "care" about status and standing and for the price of a few dollars they have filled their ships with these easily swayed individuals.

It's THE travel, retail and financial services industries, and global rewards/perks ecosystem.

Carnival didn't create it. As corporate participants, the cruise industry (Carnival at the forefront) has shown to be a bit miscalculated in their program definitions/policy enforcements.

Edited by eponym

I seriously am getting weary of the Platinum and Diamond bashers here. Seriously - who cares! I am Gold and will be for a while. I didn't cruise for the Gold/Platinum/Diamond party so losing it isn't a biggy - it WAS getting too crowded so problem solved! We are getting the cheers program so the drink coupon won't really matter, but it's a nice touch. I might just buy some young broke looking couple a drink with it and make their day. The water is a nice touch also and I am thankful for it, and certainly not demanding that I deserve more just because I have taken some cruises.

People are focusing on the "perks" they think they deserve instead of the cruise. Did you have a good cruise? Were you treated nicely? Was your belly full? Did you get to relax and have a good time? Did you see some places you haven't seen before? Come on people - focus on that and get over all the perks bull**** and stop expending all your energy on negativity. If losing the Party is a deal breaker for you - cruise with another company.

Tip: You are going to have a happier life overall if you stop with the negative energy and start thinking of all the positives in your cruise! Stop sweating the little stuff and focus on the big picture - Hey! It's a cruise! ;)

Great post, I agree with you completely. Let's get back to the reason we cruise, for the fun and relaxation. If you are cruising for the perks only, you all may be disappointed in the near future....

Great post, I agree with you completely. Let's get back to the reason we cruise, for the fun and relaxation. If you are cruising for the perks only, you all may be disappointed in the near future....

Exactly.....I couldn't care less about any of these things. I don't care what fancy color anyone else on the boat is either. We go, we have a good time and we go home. LOL, geez folks!

Are people bitter that some of us prefer an inside room, or porthole? Again, geez folks....I don't know if I've ever spent more than a few minutes in the room when I wasn't either asleep or showering. The fact that there is a bed is really all I need, other than that I'm off having fun elsewhere. I'd rather take that extra 3 or 4 hundred bucks and dump it on the roulette table or whatever. To me that gives me far more enjoyment than a bigger room or a balcony would, but to each their own. Go, have fun, and do what you like because it's a vacation!

Isn't that the very definition of "Loyalty"? To still be cruising with the same company after 15-25 years? They also sold balconies and suites on those 3 day cruises too. I think they may just know what they are doing.

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

There lays the problem. Just cause you don't get to go get a free drink. And yes drink cause as large as they have gotten that all you get served. You not Caranival look at you as an outcast.

The new drink coupons for Gold are only on the LAST day, and AFTER 5pm. Can someone shed some light behind this logic, besides a lot of people being in their cabins packing and doing last minute things before debarkation, and with their minds somewhere else besides redeeming a free drink coupon?

This could be like the party they had the last day around 5 PM that they canceled because they didn't have a good turnout. Think it was called the Farewell Party (?) It was only mentioned in the Funtimes once at the beginning of the week. No mention about it on the day it occured. They canceled it due to lack of participation. Yeah, right!

Oh puh-lease! If you want to pay megabucks and look down your nose at others just because you, in my opinion, overpaid for a room on a ship, then you should cruise on another line. There are plenty of other lines that cater to that kind style.

Re. Keith75's post. Good response, VeggieGirl83!

really am sick of you entitled people who like to put others down....you know, those of us who cruise when we can get the time and the airfare because we don't live within thousands of miles of a cruise port...karma will getcha...meanwhile...back to planning my next 4 night cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could be like the party they had the last day around 5 PM that they canceled because they didn't have a good turnout. Think it was called the Farewell Party (?) It was only mentioned in the Funtimes once at the beginning of the week. No mention about it on the day it occured. They canceled it due to lack of participation. Yeah, right!

My sense is, after reading posts like this, that there is a large cross section of pretty savvy internet users/cruisers with history that we should always encourage them to share. Thanks for the information Sparky.

Edited by eponym