Best type of bag to carry on excursions

Seagull507

What is best to carry around on stops and excursions?

Backpack really needed? Tote, cross body or day pack.

Need to carry rain gear and few other small items.

What's your experience? Thanks :confused:

I have a little backpack, if you can call it that, that packs in its own pouch. It is very lightweight but holds a lot. I would recommend something lightweight that you carry on your back so that your hands are free. For one of our first AK cruises we bought a real backpack and it was just too heavy and bulky and we never used it again.

I've got a small daypack/backpack that I bought at the Tongass Trading store in Ketchikan years ago for $10, but you can find something similar I'm sure in Walmart anywhere. It's like a larger kids book bag.

I use it to carry an extra sweatshirt or rain jacket, my extra camera gear/lens, binoculars, snacks for the day and some bottled water. I usually also include some gloves and a ski cap, a small towel is also very handy. There are lots of pockets for books, maps etc.

Being able to have it on my back with hands free is great for taking pictures, and its nice to have someplace to stash the camera if it starts to rain.

common sense approach .... take whichever is comfortable for YOU.

Personally, I like to have both hands free while I travel so I've used a small daypack for many years. It's not much bigger than a kids book bag ... maybe $15 at Costco. I like having a few compartments to store things.

They aren't cheap... But I really like my Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger. It has plenty of room and I like that I can swing it around in front of me to get stuff in or out without having to take it off my back.

I have a Walmart bag. :) I don't haul much, if anything around. I'm not heading off in the Congo. I don't need a drink every 5 minutes. Have a few things in my purse, and if anything extra, the Walmart bag. :)

Yep- what is ever, your preference. All of the above are great ideas.

Very personal IMHO, some like should bags, some like to strap their jacket around their waist and stuff hat/gloves in their pocket, totally YMMV.

I personally think a small backup is the most ergonomical and flexible for both clothes, and stuff you might buy during a day in port.