Lava vent also from our helicopter tour on the Big Island

DSCN0116_zps6rbrrcla.jpg

Captain's Table in the MDR

DSCN0172_zpslutrjunp.jpg

The Centrum from either deck 9 or 10

DSCN0163_zps6vsjoa1d.jpg

VCL from the Pool Deck

DSCN0160_zpsrfx3boxu.jpg

Pool (note the absence of bodies - it was really cold this day)

DSCN0159_zps5ijwqkyl.jpg

More photos:

Solarium

DSCN0158_zpsrbzrjvf1.jpg

More Solarium

DSCN0156_zpsmznqzcq6.jpg

Izumi menu (apologize for the quality)

DSCN0155_zpsvfftxufx.jpg

Rita's Crab Shack (aka Rita's Cantina when serving Mexican)

DSCN0154_zps5borr9zj.jpg

I have a few more that I haven't uploaded yet but will if folks are interested (a couple of the CL and the Drums of the Pacific luau).

The concierge lounge

IMG_0036_zpskjy09lsn.jpg

Another of the CL (I have to say that the CL on Radiance was very nice - open, spacious, never crowded)

IMG_0035_zpsdrnehhna.jpg

And for those booking cabin 1036 on Radiance (who may have heard it's partially obstructed), here's a photo of the maintenance scaffolding outside the balcony. It's parked between 1036 and 1038 and really does not pose any obstructed viewing.

100_1669_zpsmbfitvrc.jpg

Thank you for the honesty regarding the ship's condition. We are booked on Radiance in May 2016 for Alaska, and we are concerned about the reviews regarding the need for a refurb.

You're welcome but I do want stress that the interior of the ship and the exterior guest areas (pool, Solarium, outer deck walkways) are in pretty good shape and in most cases very well maintained (although there were several toilet problems during the cruise). We were just disappointed to have such an unsightly view outside our balcony and it appeared to extend the length of the balconies from the hump forward on the port side of deck 10. It has been four years since the last significant refurb and I do think a lot of this will be corrected at the dry dock next year (February from what I understand). If so, I think you will have no worries. :)

Edited by joepeka

Here are the photos I mention above showing the deterioration and flaking of the underside of the deck above our cabin (1036). As I noted, it's superficial but certainly not pretty. The last one is from the overhang one or two cabins forward of ours.

100_1667_zps9exu4t60.jpg

100_1666_zpsawozpod1.jpg

100_1668_zpsqwiiqogy.jpg

100_1670_zpsdrqlydpi.jpg

:eek:

You're welcome but I do want stress that the interior of the ship and the exterior guest areas (pool, Solarium, outer deck walkways) are in pretty good shape and in most cases very well maintained (although there were several toilet problems during the cruise). We were just disappointed to have such an unsightly view outside our balcony and it appeared to extend the length of the balconies from the hump forward on the port side of deck 10. It has been four years since the last significant refurb and I do think a lot of this will be corrected at the dry dock next year (February from what I understand). If so, I think you will have no worries. :)

I wonder how the other balconies on lower decks look or was it just deck 10 since it has a much larger overhang.

I wonder how the other balconies on lower decks look or was it just deck 10 since it has a much larger overhang.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that what we saw was the worst of it and the lower decks don't have that issue. That overhang on deck 10 is from the deck 11 pool and Solarium area and it sticks out much farther than the overhang on the lower decks. I wouldn't dwell too much on it - you'll probably find everything to your liking once on board.

Thanks for the report! I can't wait to get home and see the pictures (the school system is funny about what sites it shows pictures from). I'm sailing on the Radiance with a running group at the end of July and am excited to experience Royal Caribbean (Disney Cruise Line x 3 :) and Holland America x 1 :/ - hoping Royal Caribbean will fall more on the :) side of the scale.)

CL looks just like Serenade. Does it have a bar?

Yes it does. If you look at the first photo I posted of the CL, the bar is just behind that glass partition you see running along behind the espresso machine. We usually sat at the bar every evening - there were 8-9 stools and there was always room for DW and I. The bartender Pierre was outstanding and worked hard to make even some obscure drinks that people requested (things you might not expect given the CL bar's limited stock).

• 8 months later...

We're just a little over 2 months before sailing on the ROS for the Honolulu to Vancouver trip. I hope you don't mind providing input on your overall experience from last year. Were there plenty of activities and evening entertainment scheduled during sea days? Did you experience any of the specialty dining venues and how were they? How were the cabins and bedding comfort (though we will have an ocean view on deck 3 midship). Was the ocean crossing smooth or choppy? If you still have your cruise compass from that trip, have you posted it anywhere online to share? Would love to see what the days were like. Any good tips and advise on this trip would be greatly appreciated! Pen

• 1 month later...