Help deciding how to book for best bargain

Pretty sure we want to depart Port Canaveral, and we have a couple weeks flexibility end of July 2015 thru mid August 2015 (prefer end of July). Want to do 7 or 8 days, with Spouse and two kids (13 and 11). Really looking for best value / Least expense as we seem to have fun wherever we go and whatever we do. Do not want to do the Disney cruise line. Carnival seems a great match for us, but open to any suggestions. Any advice on how I should go about booking this? Reason I ask is that it seems a bit confusing with all the different sites purporting to offer the "Best Deals", etc...Also, the myriad "on board credits" and other things that are offered make comparisons difficult. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Pick a price that you can live with

look at the perks offered that you will use

No point in getting an offer for free spa pass if you will never go to the spa

OBC's are good for almost anything you purchase onboard

Do not forget to take into account the daily gratuities in your budget

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Thanks. Is it best to go direct to the cruise line to book, especially when they guarantee the "best price", or is it better to try one of the many other avenues for selecting and booking the cruise?

If you book through a travel agent, whether online or brick and mortar, you will often receive perks/amenities above and beyond what the cruise line is offering. However, if you want to change cabins, or get a price drop, or anything else, the TA has to call and arrange it. The cruise line will not deal with you. If you book directly with the cruise line, you manage your own booking and call to make any changes you want. The downside is you won't get any additional perks that TAs offer. Only you can decide if the perks are worth giving up control of your booking. I have done both with no problems and have gotten some incredible perks with my TA, but many have had terrible experiences with a TA, especially if it's a TA they haven't used before.

Edited by Loving My Life

If you book through a travel agent, whether online or brick and mortar, you will often receive perks/amenities above and beyond what the cruise line is offering. However, if you want to change cabins, or get a price drop, or anything else, the TA has to call and arrange it. The cruise line will not deal with you. If you book directly with the cruise line, you manage your own booking and call to make any changes you want. The downside is you won't get any additional perks that TAs offer. Only you can decide if the perks are worth giving up control of your booking. I have done both with no problems and have gotten some incredible perks with my TA, but many have had terrible experiences with a TA, especially if it's a TA they haven't used before.

THANK YOU, so very much. That perfectly answers my question. I am always amazed at how kind and generous people are on these quality forums. We appreciate your generosity, sharing your experience and advice!

And don't forget that once you do book keep checking prices. If you see a sale you just call whoever you booked with and ask for the new price. We booked a TA almost a year ago to lock in the exact cabin we wanted, so far we have taken advantage of two price drops and saved over $900.00 since we booked. On the cruise critic home page there is a price drop search feature you can sign up for..happy cruising

THANK YOU, so very much. That perfectly answers my question. I am always amazed at how kind and generous people are on these quality forums. We appreciate your generosity, sharing your experience and advice!

Happy to help. :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Keep an eye on prices even after final payment. On our upcoming Med cruise, we originally booked an inside cabin. Before final payment, we were able to cancel our booking and rebook in an ocean view for no additional fees. Just a few weeks ago, well after final payment, I noticed balconies on our sailing dropped to the same price as our ocean view. I contacted NCL and they happily gave us a complementary upgrade to a balcony cabin. So, my advice is to check prices regularly from the time you book until the time you sail.

Edited by Loving My Life

Thank you all, again. These are great responses Without this help, I would have never checked again after I booked, figuring what was done, was done. Now I know that just by checking back we can save money/improve the experience, etc...

You should do a little research on the ship options. Two of the cruise lines that go out of this port are Carnival and Royal Caribbean. You are looking at Freedom of the Seas on Royal Caribbean or Carnival Sunshine or Valor. The Freedom of the Seas is a newer more modern ship that has bigger and better pools, flow riders, and rock climbing walls. The Carnival ships have little pools but have water slides. It all depends on what you and your kids like to do, but you should look into the ships. We'd pick the Freedom of the Seas, but that's more about what we are looking for. Good luck.

Edited by hubofhockey

Pretty sure we want to depart Port Canaveral, and we have a couple weeks flexibility end of July 2015 thru mid August 2015 (prefer end of July). Want to do 7 or 8 days, with Spouse and two kids (13 and 11). Really looking for best value / Least expense as we seem to have fun wherever we go and whatever we do. Do not want to do the Disney cruise line. Carnival seems a great match for us, but open to any suggestions. Any advice on how I should go about booking this? Reason I ask is that it seems a bit confusing with all the different sites purporting to offer the "Best Deals", etc...Also, the myriad "on board credits" and other things that are offered make comparisons difficult. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

there are no real 'bargains' during peak travel season.

pick a price you can be happy with and be done with it. be share to compare apples to apples with regards to cabin type, size, location and amenities.

Carnival imposes limits on its drink package: both in number allowed per day and how long you mist wait between getting one. Royal has a several different kinds at varying price points and limits on per drink cost.