is it safe to brush our teeth with bathroom water in cabin?

earl06

There are some on TO who are adamant that it is the sodium in the water that is the cause. No amount of explanation has been successful in educating them that it is the elevated levels of sodium in the many prepared meals they are eating on board compared to what they prepare for themselves at home. All restaurants enhance their food items to make them as tasteful as possible. Increasing sodium is one of the ways they make that food tastier.

It is not the water. Just ask any nutritionist. But, for some, facts are irrelevant. :D

i hope there is not too much added sodium in the Cocktails made in Molecular / World Class .

if they put say 2 mg of salt in a cocktail and I have 66 on our 11 night cruise just think how bad this will be for me [emoji32]

It is unlikely that you got sick from the "free lemonade", or there would have been half a ship full of sick passengers.

Good point. This is the first time I have seen a question about the safety of the ship's water...never had a problem.

Good point. This is the first time I have seen a question about the safety of the ship's water...never had a problem.

i have never been sick on free drinks [emoji41]

sorry. - correction -

couldn't possibly be sick on free lemonade

Correct.

In addition to distillation ships will take on water from ports and purify it.

It's all about economy and safety. Economically supplying safe drinking water to crew and passengers.

k3m54h.jpg

This is very true. When they do take on shore water it, they "bunker" it for 2-3 days before using it, testing it for bacteria before using it as some bacteria is harder to filter out than minerals.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

dont forget - if on the premium package use Ketel or tanquerary 10. best for fighting plaque

My learned friend in Canadia has instructed me to advise the best Solution for Brushing ones Teeth on the Boat.

OK start initial cleaning and first rinse with a Bloody Ceasar. That way you wont worry about the red bits and think you have gum disorders. He said Bloody Mary wont be as good as the Clam Juice assists with the cleaning agents in the toothpaste.

(Now the Clever Bit.) Second Rinse with Tanqueraray 10 - swallow or spit - doesnt matter. Thirdly have a large Tanq. 10 & Tonic. This wont add to any benefits from a dentistry perspective HOWEVER the Quinine in the Tonic will help prevent Malaria.

:eek:

I think I found a possible source of the problem for contaminated water in some situations.

For politically correct reasons I cannot divulge the ethnic/regional origin of the following story but feel free to enter the group you might recognize.

A man travelling with his wife wanted to impress another cruiser (a train was the conveyance in the original story) with how well he was treated by his wife. He asked his wife to get a drink of water for him and his new friend. As time passed the hubbie started to make excuses for his tardy wife when she appeared with two glasses of water.

She said: "Sorry for the delay but a lady just would not get off the well."

;)

Edited by Arno.

I wish that was true, however it was from the lemonade- as soon as I stopped drinking it I felt better, then went back to drink it felt sick... I was sick when I got home for a long time ...:(

I put a pink hat in the sink and ran water over it on the Summit because it got dirty at port. The hat cam out of the sink with white spots, telling me bleach was in that water. I would not dream of drinking that water. I rinse with toothpaste and have never tasted a heavy chlorine taste, but I have smelled it on and off on that ship.

The hat is all the evidence that I needed that the water, at least on that ship, in that room, on that day was not safe.

I put a pink hat in the sink and ran water over it on the Summit because it got dirty at port. The hat cam out of the sink with white spots, telling me bleach was in that water. I would not dream of drinking that water. I rinse with toothpaste and have never tasted a heavy chlorine taste, but I have smelled it on and off on that ship.

The hat is all the evidence that I needed that the water, at least on that ship, in that room, on that day was not safe.

"That water", as was stated several times, is the SAME water used ALL OVER THE SHIP.

If you wouldn't dream of drinking that water, then don't put ice in your drinks, don't eat any of the pastas, or anything else cooked in water. Don't have coffee or tea.

Come to think of it, you may want to bring plastic utensils, paper cups and paper plates since all of the utensils, glasses and dishes are washed in that same water.

(Perhaps your hat got dripped on by someone washing windows or scrubbing the deck above, or any number of other things that may have caused it.)

"That water", as was stated several times, is the SAME water used ALL OVER THE SHIP.

If you wouldn't dream of drinking that water, don't eat ..........

anything else cooked in water. it.)

Surely if i am on a premium package my food is cooked in pellegrino ??[emoji33]

Chlorination is a common longstanding approach to water purification and moderate amounts of chlorine will not hurt you. I am not surprised that ships would use this a one approach to ensure that we are drinking safe water. But if you are disturbed by it, then you can take an open container (e.g., water glass or pitcher), fill it with the chlorinated water, and let it sit for 24 hours. The chlorine will evaporate away. Problem solved.

Chlorination is a common longstanding approach to water purification and moderate amounts of chlorine will not hurt you. I am not surprised that ships would use this a one approach to ensure that we are drinking safe water. But if you are disturbed by it, then you can take an open container (e.g., water glass or pitcher), fill it with the chlorinated water, and let it sit for 24 hours. The chlorine will evaporate away. Problem solved.

then I will eat my hat [emoji12]

Edited by gcgold

Two things:

1. There is bleach in much, perhaps nearly all, the water you drink. Unless you have your own well at home and drink exclusively out of it and never drink water elsewhere, or you live in NYC where the water is captured rainwater, then the water you drink has usually had chlorine (bleach) added to kill pathogens.

2. Chlorine (bleach), when added to water, is dissolved in the water and disbursed uniformly through it. Consequently, it could not under any circumstances cause "spots". If your hat was spotted then something else is at the root of it.

Here is some information about the source of your water, including the addition of chlorine: http://www.roslynwater.org/faq.html

You can choose not to drink the water on the ship if you wish, but it's perfectly safe.

Edited by jan-n-john

Two things:

1. There is bleach in much, perhaps nearly all, the water you drink. Unless you have your own well at home and drink exclusively out of it and never drink water elsewhere, or you live in NYC where the water is captured rainwater, then the water you drink has usually had chlorine (bleach) added to kill pathogens.

2. Chlorine (bleach), when added to water, is dissolved in the water and disbursed uniformly through it. Consequently, it could not under any circumstances cause "spots". If your hat was spotted then something else is at the root of it.

Here is some information about the source of your water, including the addition of chlorine: http://www.roslynwater.org/faq.html

You can choose not to drink the water on the ship if you wish, but it's perfectly safe.

i am told that the water in London gets recycled and will have probably have travelled through a human body - 6 times [emoji32]

think i will stick to gin & tonic - not likely to contract malaria [emoji12]

Two things:

Chloroamines are being increasingly used instead of Chlorine. This doesn't evaporate off from water as Chlorine does..

i am told that the water in London gets recycled and will have probably have travelled through a human body - 6 times [emoji32]

think i will stick to gin & tonic - not likely to contract malaria [emoji12]

Just don't put ice in your drink :eek:

So if my ankles are swollen and I put Ice on them will that make it worse? ;)

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji41][emoji636][emoji636][emoji636][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485]

If you wouldn't dream of drinking that water, then don't put ice in your drinks, don't eat any of the pastas, or anything else cooked in water. Don't have coffee or tea.

Come to think of it, you may want to bring plastic utensils, paper cups and paper plates since all of the utensils, glasses and dishes are washed in that same water.

(Perhaps your hat got dripped on by someone washing windows or scrubbing the deck above, or any number of other things that may have caused it.)

Perhaps you didn't read the post, DinaS, I put the hat in the sink and watched the white spots appear as I ran the water over it. No one was washing windows inside my bathroom.

Go ahead and explain that..... I saw the white spots appear as I ran the water over the hat.

You think these systems are perfect? There can be higher ratios in the water from time to time, not enough to kill someone maybe, but there was definitely something off on that sailing and I smelled it as well as my travelling partners. I have sailed Summit at least 14 times, you don't have to believe me....but you should watch your tone with me......

you don't have to believe me....but you should watch your tone with me......

Ladies , Ladies[emoji15]. Chill out .

Perhaps the pink / white polka dot hat could be sold on eBay and the proceeds used against a premium package [emoji485][emoji12]

Edited by gcgold

Perhaps you didn't read the post, DinaS, I put the hat in the sink and watched the white spots appear as I ran the water over it. No one was washing windows inside my bathroom.

Go ahead and explain that..... I saw the white spots appear as I ran the water over the hat.

You think these systems are perfect? There can be higher ratios in the water from time to time, not enough to kill someone maybe, but there was definitely something off on that sailing and I smelled it as well as my travelling partners. I have sailed Summit at least 14 times, you don't have to believe me....but you should watch your tone with me......

Cheap hat?

LOL

You said your hat was dirty - how on earth would you have seen white spots if they were under the dirt? Of course they appeared when you ran the water over the hat - you were washing the dirt off.

As for watching anyone's tone, are you serious? There was nothing wrong with my tone. I was simply stating what would have been a reasonable explanation for white spots on your hat.

I was also simply explaining that if you thought the water was unsafe to drink, there were ways to avoid ingesting it.

No tone there - just facts :D