Icy Strait Point...Things to do

Jasjas

My friend and I, 2 ladies in our mid-sixties, will be cruising Alaska for the first time on Norwegian Sun, early in September this year... PLEASE talk to us about spending our day in Icy Strait Point without going on an excursion ?? Our budget is busted due to the drastic weakening of our currency (SA Rand).

I would also like to know the most cost effective way to encounter Sled Dogs...

Our itinerary : Seward, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Vancouver...

We are SO excited and counting the days...

Sincere thanks.

Jasjas.

I've never been to ISP, but the actual town is Hoonah. There is visitor information on the town web site:

http://www.visithoonah.com/index.html

As for sled dogs, too bad you aren't visiting Denali. The free sled dog exhibit there is quite nice and FREE.

In Seward, Seavey's kennel has a tour and cart ride ( will pick you up in town also)

http://www.ididaride.com/tours-packages/tours-packages

Look at a whale watch! They weren't too pricey considering how amazing it was. We went with Misty Bay and they were great. Nice comfy boat and only max 6people. There isn't a lot to do there. We walked to Hoonah from the tender dock, it was a nice walk maybe a mile or so, but all level. There is also a bit of a museum at the top of the ramp from the tender dock.

There aren't any sled dog tours in Hoonah. Are you doing any tours?

As for Hoonah- the Icy Strait compound has a nice loop trail, and a free small Cannery Museum. Assuming, you have no mobility limits, I would suggest going outside the "compound" and walk along the marina, taking your time, scanning the ocean for marine wildlife. Walk as far as you wish, then turn back.

Probably your cheapest sled dog option is going to be Seavey's in Seward, which is excellent and well worth the costs for their comprehensive tour. That depends when you are getting to Seward? If you have time. This would be independent.

Thanks for the feedback !

We will be in Seward from 11h00 on Saturday until Monday afternoon when our ship departs.. I have thought about Seavey's for the dogs and it looks like a good option for Saturday afternoon... On Sunday we plan to do the trip to Exit Glacier @ only US$ 10 return trip with the local Shuttle and visit the SeaLife Center in the afternoon...

We are both completely mobile and will seriously consider the walk along the Marina in Icy Strait Point and then return for a good Fish&Chips meal for lunch and then walk to Hoonah and visit the cannery...as we have the full day in ISP.

Thanx again.

Jasjas.

We will be in Seward from 11h00 on Saturday until Monday afternoon when our ship departs.. I have thought about Seavey's for the dogs and it looks like a good option for Saturday afternoon... On Sunday we plan to do the trip to Exit Glacier @ only US$ 10 return trip with the local Shuttle and visit the SeaLife Center in the afternoon...

We are both completely mobile and will seriously consider the walk along the Marina in Icy Strait Point and then return for a good Fish&Chips meal for lunch and then walk to Hoonah and visit the cannery...as we have the full day in ISP.

Thanx again.

Jasjas.

The Cannery Museum, is right at the dock "compound", not in town area of Hoonah.

Thanx again.

Jasjas.

As mentioned scan for wildlife while walking. There were many eagles very close by and one just past town with a big nest that was really easy to stand and watch. We were lucky enough to spot a few whales from shore also and quite a few from the ship while anchored. If you can be out on deck as you sail in or out from ISP and you will most likely see whales.

Thanx for the good news about seeing whales from the deck of our ship...I sincerely hope we do....The whale watching excursions are way beyond our means...

Jasjas.

• 4 weeks later...
My friend and I, 2 ladies in our mid-sixties, will be cruising Alaska for the first time on Norwegian Sun, early in September this year... PLEASE talk to us about spending our day in Icy Strait Point without going on an excursion ?? Our budget is busted due to the drastic weakening of our currency (SA Rand).

Our itinerary : Seward, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Vancouver...

Sincere thanks.

Jasjas.

Hi JasJas

We are also on the NCL Sun 14 days up & back leaving 31st August 15. In ISP we are going on the shoreline walk to Hoonah where some people say they have seen whales, eagles & seals etc.

On the way back my wife is having a salmon meal & I am going to have the dungeness crab.

Can hardly wait..

Dusty & Ratchanee

Thanx for the good news about seeing whales from the deck of our ship...I sincerely hope we do....The whale watching excursions are way beyond our means...

Jasjas.

Invested time is your best friend for spotting wildlife without tours. :) I took the Sun last year, not sure if the same itinerary, but the ship did transit Snow Pass very early on the day going to Ketchikan. This is an area of good chances of viewing humpbacks through a narrow dog leg passage. (a plus/ ship moving slower)

Jasjas.

Hi Jasjas, both you and me both, can't afford the whale watching tours.:(

Hi JasJas

We are also on the NCL Sun 14 days up & back leaving 31st August 15. In ISP we are going on the shoreline walk to Hoonah where some people say they have seen whales, eagles & seals etc.

On the way back my wife is having a salmon meal & I am going to have the dungeness crab.

Can hardly wait..

Dusty & Ratchanee

Where are you eating? Do you know yet?

Hallo Dusty...Thanks for your reply.

We will definitely do the shore walk and find some place to eat seafood...Enjoy your cruise...

Jasjas and Isabella

South Africa.

Hallo Dusty...Thanks for your reply.

We will definitely do the shore walk and find some place to eat seafood...Enjoy your cruise...

Jasjas and Isabella

South Africa.

IF I'm recalling correctly- there is a food "truck" (trailer) in Hoonah on the Main road, also Grandma Nina's- that may offer some more affordable options and the ability to purchase separate items.

The Cookhouse in the "Icy Strait" "compound also has some very good food.

Edited by Budget Queen

We did the whale watch in ISP, but then spent time walking the town and the neighborhoods. We typically try to walk neighborhoods when we travel. We enjoy seeing how people live in other parts of our country. The museum at the doc is interesting.

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/

According to the icystraightpoint website there are plenty of eateries so we will just choose one.

Dusty & Ratchanee

This is only referenced to the "compound". I've eaten at the Cookhouse which is very good. BUT this is not "local" eateries. The only patrons you are going to see here are other cruise ship passengers. There are some excellent places in Hoonah.

Hey guys, was thinkin, you could eat breakfast at the crab shack on the dock, then eat lunch at the "Office!!"

If you go to the office allow plenty of time. We stopped in for a beer and a quick lunch but after waiting 25 minutes and watching them fix food we took off and headed back to ISP for lunch at the Landing restaurant . It was very good and the wait staff was friendly and attentive.

Sincere thanks.

Jasjas.

We just returned from Alaska with a stop in Hoonah. We took a whale watching tour with Glacial Wind tours. Just 6 max on boat. This is owned by a local couple. They were friendly and we had a great trip. I would recommend this tour.

In Juneau we did a summer dog sled adventure. They took us on land rather than flying to the glacier.

In Ketchikan we took a sea plane flightseeing trip along with a crab lunch. Very enjoyable.

Enjoy.