Luggage wheel got busted off!

justme_85

our luggage gets damaged pretty much every cruise. Or squashed. Our hanging stuff, twice, was completely crumbled.

I REALLY wish we could carry ALL our luggage ON the ship. It pissed me off we tip the porters BEFORE we even get our luggage. WHY tip before service is complete?

The porters are not the Carnival employees that deliver to your door,

At least your bag made it. 2 years ago, ours didn't and was NEVER found!

That is odd. Very odd. You turned it over to the porters directly, and it never made it to you even after a claim?

For our cruise last year I had just bought a new suitcase. Never noticed there was a problem till we were packing the last night and the handle wouldn't pull out. After feeling around inside the bag, you could feel that the rails were bent and wouldn't let the handle slide in or out. Luckily we had luggage straps with us and were able to strap it onto another rolling bag. I think it got bent when they threw it into the bins. :eek:

Same thing happened to both suitcase handles on our luggage but the damage occurred delivering the luggage to the staging area prior to going thru Customs after the cruise was over. We got the suitcases home, we stood on the metal guides that the handle goes up & down into and then worked ok.

Hope you are able to get your suitcase taken care of.

Just back from the same cruise, same issue, but JetBlue was the inflictor ;) It's American Airlines luggage ... supposedly built to survive air travel ... not. Guess I'm buying new luggage!

I believe the Carnival people do that. As far as I know all the porters do is put it into a small cart and walk it over to the Carnival bin.

This video shows the process. You can see them pulling the bags off the xray machine

This shows how they load them on the ship after xray

https://youtu.be/uWn4-hqX950

Edited by DaytonCruiser

I have one set of nice luggage that I use whenever I'm NOT traveling by air or sea. The luggage I take on a cruise vacation is inexpensive and doesn't have those rolling wheels. Been there done that. Found out the hard way they are a pain if one wheel breaks. Carnival may offer you something as a courtesy but they aren't obligated. I don't blame the porters either. They've got a ton of luggage to get onboard after they've taken a bunch off in a short amount of time. Of course it's manhandled.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Everyone!

I just got on board the Carnival Liberty and found my luggage in front of the door. Except the wheel has been busted off somewhere between me handing it over to a porter and being delivered to my room. I went down to guest services and they told me to empty my luggage and take it to them so they can inspect it. Has this ever happened to anyone? In 10 cruises this has never happened to me! Just want to see what they do in this type of situation as it is no longer rollable.

[ATTACH]348972[/ATTACH]

Buy a new one , you're lucky it didn't happen sooner.

I buy an inexpensive luggage set - that all fit inside the biggest one - at Walmart or Target. Just bought a set with wheels at Walmart for $99. The last set I bought lasted about 6 years before they started falling apart. Several cruises and land trips and flights so I figure I got my money's worth! My upcoming cruise will be my first trip with this set... ;)

Edited by Lurkyloo

We had this happen to us on a Carnival cruise, many years ago. Ours was delivered with a slit in one corner, the rubber edging torn and hanging loose, and a missing wheel.Obviously, a fork lift went through the case. They told us to take it to Service desk, so they could inspect, and maybe fix it. They determined after inspecting it, no they couldn't fix it. Told us to take it to a place once home, to be fixed, and send them bill. They gave us a form to also send. The repair shop at home, also said they couldn't fix it. Carnival made us get the repair shop to sign a statement saying it couldn't be fixed, and mail it to them. They finally sent us $25. This was a really big, nice suitcase. Back in the days before airlines limited the size, and charged to fly them.

It was a $300 suitcase, but we got it on sale for around $150. I told Carnival this, and yep, got $25. We had cruise insurance, so I filed with them. Also told them we paid $150 and had gotten $25 from Carnival.

Insurance wanted a copy of our receipt for suitcase. We had had it for almost a year, but this was only 2nd time using it. Who keeps receipts for everything you purchase, once you get it home, and it's all ok?

Long story short,lol, insurance finally sent us additional $50. So we got $75 out of our $150, and had to purchase another suitcase, which had gone up to $180.

Huge hassle and lots of time spent, to get the $75. Good Luck, hope you get something.

This is pretty standard, and is why you should either buy the sturdiest cheap luggage you can buy or the really expensive stuff that comes with repair guarantees. My personal faves are the cheapish hard-sided suitcases at TJ Maxx. I work for CBP at a major airport, and when I'm driving around the aircraft ramp, it's really amazing how many pieces of luggage are just sitting in the middle of the roadway because they fell off of a tug's cart. The roadway around an airport is not usually well-lit at night, so it's not hard to see why some people's luggage comes up on the carousel crushed and with tire marks on them. And this is also why I recommend that people never put "fragile" warnings on their luggage. Baggage handlers are not paid to be careful with luggage, they're paid to move the maximum number of bags in the least amount of time. If it's truly fragile, try to carry it on board. If you can't carry it on board, pad it as well as you can and hope your luggage doesn't get run over. For example, if you're bringing back alcohol, put the bottle in a wine diaper and either wrap it in bubble wrap or in a lot of clothing.

Another hint: the built-in locks on suitcases are generally worthless, with the exception of the Samsonite hard clamshell cases with clasp locks on three sides and no zippers. Those are pretty darn difficult to pop, but the rest can be broken into in a matter of seconds (I know, since I've done it when inspecting locked luggage without the owner present, since CBP doesn't have TSA keys). Basically, anything with a zipper is easy to open, especially if the person doesn't care about getting it closed again. So again, if the contents are valuable, carry it on board if at all possible. And for Pete's sake, don't pack your car keys or your medication in your checked suitcase when you're flying, especially if you're going international. You never know when your luggage is going to take a trip around the world without you (or, on the other hand, it might take a longer layover than you did, and you wind up having to get a hotel for a night or two while it catches up with you).

That is the main reason I won't get the spinner luggage, the wheels are exposed and are easy to break.

Exactly, those little wheels just can't hold up on the larger bags. I've had them fall apart going from the car to the airport. It's always the one that are being used when you are pulling it on 2 wheels. I went back the the larger heavier single pair that are recessed.

Hi Everyone!

I just got on board the Carnival Liberty and found my luggage in front of the door. Except the wheel has been busted off somewhere between me handing it over to a porter and being delivered to my room. I went down to guest services and they told me to empty my luggage and take it to them so they can inspect it. Has this ever happened to anyone? In 10 cruises this has never happened to me! Just want to see what they do in this type of situation as it is no longer rollable.

[ATTACH]348972[/ATTACH]

On a Celebrity cruise some years ago we noticed that when our suitcase was delivered to the room the handle was broken. DH rang guest services who collected the now emptied case and returned it some time later completely repaired (or so we thought). On disembarking and whilst still in the hall we noticed it had broken again so we called over one of the staff members who made a note of it and told us that she would contact HO and so should we. We then said we were flying home and didn't think the case would be manageable and so having made a further inspection she gave us the authority to buy a new case and send the receipt to the HO who would reimburse us.

We did this and Head Office coughed up the cost with no problems whatsoever.

I have wheels busted off two new suitcases on carnival cruises, never once cared who did it and getting money out of it....just did some research afterwards and ended up buying some Samsonite luggage WITHOUT spinner wheels that stick out from the bottom...those are good for carry-on luggage but not for luggage handlers as they break off way too easy. New luggage has 2 deep set regular wheels and haven't had problems since.

Not much love is given to luggage when there's a minimum of 6 to 8,000 pieces being loaded by forklifts in a minimal amount of time.

I've had mine torn, and wheels ripped off and it wasn't on Carnival. From then on, no more new luggage for me, I find mine at thrift stores or yard sales. Not a pretty matching set, but they work.

Very very smart....I bought my last one before a 50th Hawaii anniv. trip now 6 or so years ago. I got mine at Ross...ugly as heck..but lightest yet strongest that day...I think I could go down in weight now this purchase way..... but with op's dilemna and wanting to get more and more fine tuned with packing and travel this is the answer...I have usually 3 airline changes out of nowhere's ville and am so very lucky on my average with luggage lasting and breaks over a lifetime but still....GREAT IDEA and 50 to 90 saved.

How do you clean them on inside??

OP....maybe the airlines can help?? But no this happened after that and then Carnival...

Someone will help you with luggage..just get help and tip. You decide when home but your luggage could have a year warranty..or fix for nominal...your travel insurance could do....a luggage repair shop which I don't think I even have where I am now...get that quite versus buying new at a Ross/Marshall type place or Ruthless's idea. Sometimes Costco has luggage. My one before this last Ross deal which was 49 bucks six years ago and has made about 6 trips with real distance and beating.

I used aged mixed things i had over 27 years or so for all other trips until this Ross one because the big purchase before that was unfortunately one that would be too big and 100's to fly with....used only once right after loosing my grandma...a grand double pack back home..the last of affordable big suitcase travel..it happened from people like me that needed to bring so much when gas got high and everything else went high with airlines...I apologize to all....LOL.

Don't worry about it OP...I know hard when new...but if some fix does not pan out just get home and compare other purchase methods with repair.....and remember..no nail polish or booze or WINE OR ANY OTHER MISHAP. I even use some partial zipper pull loss luggage from a TA friend that goes through good stuff like flies and each move goodwill has a truckload from her in suitcases no doubt...Just don't worry and have a blast...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

At least your bag made it. 2 years ago, ours didn't and was NEVER found!

WOW ...Tapi..rare and awful feeling...it is just so personal...of a loss..that is why never go with out your best and most important things on you..but it is hard for sentimental folks like me...then come the RIP piles of needed to organize memoranda..soaps and shampoos I use throughout the duration....LOL...sarah

My grandpa used to joke about the broken arm and shoulder ligaments carreying all the hotel stationery, sew kits, etc from their few beloved trips back..they really had a great retirement of travel for a teacher and PO man.