Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer (Juneau Roundtrip)

cl.klink

Wow, that is the first I've seen a cruise line offer a Round trip Tracy arm trip. I've done the trip numerous times with Adventure Bound and do it again in about two weeks. This can be a spectacular trip and is my favorite excursion in Alaska. To sail with Adventure Bound you need to have a port time of at least 8am to 7pm, an earlier arrival would be even better. Cost is probably quite a bit lower than thru the cruise line but if the times don't work out I would go with the cruise line trip. Sounds like their boat is faster so the overall tour time is a bit shorter.

Here are some photos of one of my trips, you will see why I go back every chance I get. IMHO this is the bluest glacier and one of the most active for calving.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00a1-df12-1a76

If it is available on you ship, try to prebook (because it frequently sells out) the ship tour to Tracy Arm. It's shorter because you sail one way from Juneau to Tracy Arm. There is so much to do in Juneau that, IMHO, a whole day excursion rather than a half day excursion is not effective use of time. Enjoy!

If it is available on you ship, try to prebook (because it frequently sells out) the ship tour to Tracy Arm. It's shorter because you sail one way from Juneau to Tracy Arm. There is so much to do in Juneau that, IMHO, a whole day excursion rather than a half day excursion is not effective use of time. Enjoy!

So how do passengers get back on the ship?

I agree, I can see the value of the one where they pick you up in the Fjord and sail back to the ship in Juneau and get the same time in port, or the reverse. If a ship has full day in port i would suspect you have other glacier sailing so one should consider if Mendenhall Glacier, Whale watching or other things might be worth considering. I loved the small boat tour, but wouldn't give it up for missing Juneau and the other attractions completely.

So how do passengers get back on the ship?

Similar to tending the smaller ship just sails up along side and you board thru the lowest level, I think deck 5 off the same platform where you tender. Then when you get back you do the same in reverse order.

p1171387053-5.jpg

Edited by chipmaster

The Tracy Arm small-boat tour is incredible, and remains the highlight of the four Alaska cruises we've done. It essentially comes in two forms:

1) If your cruise ship goes to TA, the small-boat tour (only available through your cruise line; you CANNOT book independently) picks you up from the tender platform as shown above. For us, we gathered in the ship's theater and were led to the tendering platform off deck 3.

2) If your cruise ship doesn't go to TA, the small-boat tours pick you up at the docks in Juneau and return you there when done.

If you're on a #1 itinerary, there's likely not enough time during your stop in Juneau to do a round-trip run to TA.

Similar to tending the smaller ship just sails up along side and you board thru the lowest level, I think deck 5 off the same platform where you tender. Then when you get back you do the same in reverse order.

p1171387053-5.jpg

That mid-ocean transfer is a huge time saver in Juneau. You don't need to retrace 50 miles and save quite a few hours in Juneau. Very popular and always a sellout on that small boat. If interested.... book the first chance you get.

If its your first trip to Juneau I agree the 1/2 day tour has a big time advantage that allows you to see some of Juneau also. There are many things to see and do here and choices need to be made. If you have visited before to me the all day tour is a great option as I love to watch the scenery as we sail by, I'd much prefer this to being in town with thousands of other people downtown shopping.

I've been to all of the glaciers many times and I think that if you can get up close in a small boat the Sawyer Glaciers are superior to any seen from your cruise ship.

Has anyone done this excursion on Holland America? What did you think of it?

- Joel

You can be getting wrong information above, based on assumptions. What are the DETAILS of your itinerary? Post the times.

It may be, the only option for you is this ship add on?

We don't dock in Juneau this July on Crown Princess until 11:00, leaving 10:00 PM. We booked the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer tour with Allen Marine. It's a 7 hour tour and leaves at 1:30, returning at 8:30. It's going to be a long day but we're really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the good comments. It's our first trip to Alaska but won't be last. We are on HAL Oosterdam and arrive Juneau 9:00 am and leave 10:00 pm. The ship does not go through Tracy Arm otherwise. It does visit Glacier Bay. This particular tour offers leaves 9:15 and lasts 7 hours so could still see Juneau.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the good comments. It's our first trip to Alaska but won't be last. We are on HAL Oosterdam and arrive Juneau 9:00 am and leave 10:00 pm. The ship does not go through Tracy Arm otherwise. It does visit Glacier Bay. This particular tour offers leaves 9:15 and lasts 7 hours so could still see Juneau.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some details :)

This and the above Crown visitor, are getting the round trip Juneau, "fast" tour. Mentioned above is Above and Beyond- with the difference being- their tours being about 10 hours on the water. TIME is everything with these tours, less time, the less you see. Allen Marine does do a very good job, and I have gone with them several times with ship contracted tours- including twice last year. But there is a significant benefit, if you happen to have the port time.