Earliest flight out of Miami

Susan2u

Hi,

I have never booked a flight earlier than 11:45 after a cruise. It looks like there are 4 cruise ships in Miami the same day has anyone personally made an 11:05 flight? The pricing difference on a later flight is almost $100 more per person. It will be on a Sat. November 14, 2015.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions or advise.

Susan

I made a 9:40 and 10:05 flight before. The 9:40 one was a little stressful as the ship didn't even dock until 8. I wouldn't do that again! You will be fine with an 11am flight-do self assist and be the first ones off the ship so you don't t get hung up in customs.

I always book the 11:30 flight out of MIA, but with self-assist debarkation, could easily made the 9:30 or 10:00 flights... The only thing is that you need to be able to carry all of your luggage off by yourself...

People think I am crazy but I always take the 10:15 flight back to Atlanta from Miami (I have done this at least 5 times and will again in a couple weeks). If you self assist you can make it with time to spare easily. I know it sounds stressful, but it doesn't bother me.

With self-assist we have made if off the ship and at FLL in time for a 1030 flight. You should be good for MIA but there is always a risk that something could happen to delay you. You are the only one that can decide if you are comfortable assuming that risk.

On May 7th we took the 11:30am out of Miami, we were at the airport by 8:45am. The boat returned to the dock at 7:30am, so slightly early. We headed down to the debark staging at 7:45am and were on the road to the airport by 8:30am. Make sure you chose the self assist for debark. Carnival will know your flight schedule so they will give you the earliest time based on your early flight schedule.

Leaving Miami in the Past from a cruise we have always done self assist. We just think it's easier since we each travel with only one roller suitcase. But we debarked from a ship in Miami and were some of the first ones off the ship. But because of that our shuttle had to wait for more people so we circled the port for a while to pick more people up. We still got to FLL really early, like by 9 am? we had to wait for a 12:50 flight. We were way too early. So, considering you flying out of Miami which is a closer airport I really think you will be fine!

• 2 years later...

I just got off the NCL Getaway in Miami. I thought it would be close for my 10:30 flight but I was sitting at the gate over two hours early. NCL had me off the boat and standing at the curb at 7:25 am. If you are in this same sinario you can do a 9:00 am flight or later. It was a 15 taxi ride because of road construction but still easily through through security by 8:30. Flew Frontier so we stood in line to check our bags for 20 min; so don't forget to plan for that. Also it helpful to be near the front of the line to get off the ship. I was inline at 6:50am.

I know on American, if you miss your early flight you can get a confirmed same day change or standby for $75, and the fee is waived for some of the Frequent Flyer levels.

Booking an early flight out of a busy hub like MIA (hub for AA anyways) you should have no trouble being accommodated later the same day should you miss the flight.

I usually book an 11 AM flight back to NY. Many cruisers don't realize that the earlier you can get to the MIA airport, the less crowded it is - I have arrived once just before 8AM, got switched to an 8:30AM flight, breezed right through TSA security check point with my one piece of luggage and got to the last flight door in that long gateway at the very end with time to spare. Didn't even bother with the TSA Pre Check line, both security lines were empty.

I get walk off priority disembarkation, taxi to the airport, and can have a leisurely breakfast there if I can't get my 11AM flight switched to an earlier one. JMO and YMMV.

By the time of my next MIA cruise in April, I'll be able to just drive to the cruise terminal and park right there instead of flying.