Where to stay.......

ucmino

We are going out of POM but flying into FLL the day before. Should I stay in FLL then find a shuttle to POM the day of the cruise or should I find transportation to Miami and stay at a hotel for the night...What are the best options, without blowing the budget?

We are going out of POM but flying into FLL the day before. Should I stay in FLL then find a shuttle to POM the day of the cruise or should I find transportation to Miami and stay at a hotel for the night...What are the best options, without blowing the budget?

When does your flight arrive in FLL?

Hotels in the FLL area are generally cheaper than comparable properties in Miami or Miami Beach. I would start my search at www.sunny.org which has a wealth of FLL area tourist and lodging info.

Transport options from FLL to Miami get fewer and more expensive the later in the day you arrive --how many in your party? :confused: A cab for $75-80+ is a good option if there are 3-4 travelling together.

Depends on time you are arriving. And the date. If you have a good part of the day/evening you don't want to be stuck in a hotel with nothing nearby to spend the day/evening. Too the rates run the gamut depending on the season and day of week. So without knowing what "breaking the bank" means to you, it's tough for me to recommend where to stay. Too, some people just feel more comfortable being in the port city the night before. But it's a drive under an hour between the cities, so that wouldn't be a biggie for me in this case. My biggest issue would be the time of my arrival and how I want to spend it.

For FL do recommend The Pillars or Hilton Diplomat in Holywood

But what is your budget?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Usually, the best idea if budget is your primary concern is to stay near FLL and shuttle to the port. There are a lot of decent hotels that are in safe neighborhoods and budget priced. A lot of people use SAS. Their website will give you the hotels they pick up from. The chain hotels on Stirling Rd near I-95 are mostly good and you can walk to chain restaurants for dinner.

If you are satisfied with just using a pool at one of the chains nearer the airport in Fort Lauderdale, there are nice ones in the Dania area. And if you wanted to check out the beach and city, a $15 cab will get you into town. you are only about 15 min or so from the city. So, look at hotels and rates as royal suggested. Add $30 if thinking of heading to town and back for the day.

Compare to the hotels in downtown Miami. Which is where I'd stay for one night where things are walkable very near the port.

As expected you will find Jan. is pretty high $ especially on weekends. Definitely don't try to save money when researching and booking hotels in Miami. Know the area and come back here for reviews. Miami is not the place to take the cheapest anything.;)