Formal night question

Perez1992

I would like to dress up in a cocktail dress

ImageUploadedByForums1431354015.676548.jpg.f113dab43e72c9ffa3e7a490b164c09e.jpg

And I want my boyfriend to dress up in a suit are we going to look out of place or do other people actually dress up for formal night ?

What do think of the dress?

Considering I wear a tux with a white dinner jacket and my wife wears an elegant black dinner dress, I'd say you'll fit right in with no problem! You'll see a wide array of clothing options worn for formal night. They run the gamut from the tux/elegant dress all the way to slacks and a collared shirt/blouse.

we alway dress up. how formal depends on what we pack, dh has a tux or a nice suit he wears, I've been wearing my little black dress lately, I used to wear a formal ball gown, I just opt not to pack it lately.

You'll see everything from causal to formal. Wear what you want!

I think you guys will look great!

Carnival got rid of formal nights years ago. They now call them "elegant" nights. The distinction is important as what is permitted now on those nights is very wide. You will see everything from guys in khakis with a polo all the way up to tuxes and everything in between. The range for the ladies is just as wide.

I think you guys will look great!

You will see everything from guys in khakis with a polo all the way up to tuxes and everything in between. The range for the ladies is just as wide.

I don't want to start a debate or a fight by any means (and I plan to dress up because I am an utter slob 99% of the time) but do they not allow jeans on elegant nights? I know my last cruise on RCCL they enforced none of the 'rules'.

Im mostly asking because im curious.....

I don't want to start a debate or a fight by any means (and I plan to dress up because I am an utter slob 99% of the time) but do they not allow jeans on elegant nights? I know my last cruise on RCCL they enforced none of the 'rules'.

How well it is enforced is subject to debate, but per Carnival's web site:

"Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire"

How well it is enforced is subject to debate, but per Carnival's web site:

"Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire"

Yeah, that was basically what I was asking... Is it enforced?

Yeah, that was basically what I was asking... Is it enforced?

Based on what I read on CC, sometimes, sometimes not. I should think it depends on who is there to do the enforcing and if it is a priority for them. I cannot specifically recall in my own experience seeing a passenger turned away for not meeting the minimum dress requirements on Carnival. I have seen it done on Celebrity, but am quite confident that they are not 100% consistent in enforcing the policy either. One possible reason may be they do not want to get bad feedback from the guest who may interpret being turned away as being treated rudely, or being given poor customer service.

Thanks guys I though the dress was really pretty too!!

I just didn't want to dress up and then go upstairs and everyone be not dressed up and my boyfriend start complaing because he hates dressing up unless he has to!!

I feel it really depends upon the ship/time of year/passenger feelings on what you see on elegant nights.

I have had times where I felt underdressed and other times extremely overdressed in the dining room. There is really no way to estimate. I figured that people would dress up for a New Year's cruise and not many people did.

Lately, i have found not as many people were dressed up, so I am not bothering bringing a suit when we leave in a few weeks. More than likely most men will be wearing them since I won't be bringing one along!

You just have to go with what you would like to wear and don't worry about other people just like if you felt like dressing up some random night for a dinner at home. You can always dress more comforably for the second elegant night if not many people dress up on the 1st night.

Thanks guys I though the dress was really pretty too!!

I just didn't want to dress up and then go upstairs and everyone be not dressed up and my boyfriend start complaing because he hates dressing up unless he has to!!

On our two Fantasy cruises lots of folks dressed up. Many use it to take formal photos. So while there are exceptions, I think those that dress up, make up for it. You know, all those pretty, glittery heels and dresses catch the eye - so the atmosphere feels more festive. Enjoy dressing up!

What I don't get is why some people don't like dressing up

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but this is one of the reasons the "elegant night" thread get contentious.

While I like dressing up,it never bothered me that others don't want to do so. Some have to dress up for their jobs on a daily basis or just don't feel like being formal or semi formal when they travel.

I'm sure you and your bf will have a great cruise.

Edited by DaytonCruiser

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but this is one of the reasons the "elegant night" thread get contentious.

While I like dressing up,it never bothered me that others don't want to do so.

I'm sure you and your bf will have a great cruise.

Thanks for understanding

I have photos of multiple fun times where the dresscode for elegant nights states that shorts are okay. All have been Caribbean cruises but it is Carnival's dresscode not anybody on this forum.

I have photos of multiple fun times where the dresscode for elegant nights states that shorts are okay. All have been Caribbean cruises but it is Carnival's dresscode not anybody on this forum.

Never seen that, can you post the pictures.

What I don't get is why some people don't like dressing up

I have to dress up for work everyday. I hate it and find it super uncomfortable. I go on cruises because everything's relaxed and activities are somewhat planned so little effort is required. I'm one of the people that go on cruises and take naps all day and sleep most of the time lol. For me, dressing up is uncomfortable and too much effort. I just want nice food served to me so I wear the minimum I can get away with ( black pants and a plain blouse) and then change back into my jeans, T shirt, and flip flops the second I'm done eating.

To be honest, I'd love if they have a separate dining room where people could chose to dress up or not. Like on elegant nights make the top level casual dining for people who don't want to participate.