Jörg Becker - Nautica Chef - Inside the Kitchen

need2cruisesoon

Absolutely fascinating. I immediately felt myself in his shoes...as a home chef, I get it, and I get how focused every passenger is on the food. Obviously, cruising is synonymous with eating. But now, for me, it is about the quality of a singular meal, or a highlight on a tour. Not the all you can eat for free binging that it is for some.

Personally, I am not as interested in food as I used to be - age, health, other reasons to travel - but I am always surprised by how much Americans, especially, are focused on the food.

My DH and I were talking about the cruise coming up and we were in agreement. First thing, tell the butler no canapés! This is a sure way to spoil dinner! Also, no afternoon tea, well maybe once, for the experience. And, forget about in between meal cookies, ice cream, and other temptations! We are set to experience specialty restaurants every night, and La Reserve, and culinary classes and independent tours in the Riviera countryside. Right there, you can add 5-7 lbs. to our weight. I don't mind, though, because these are quality choices.

My rules for success, when you are hungry, eat. Eat what you want. Eat consciously - no distractions like reading, watching TV, etc- enjoying every bite. And, when you are full. STOP!

You don't have to tell the butler NOT to bring the canapes. You need to tell him WHAT to bring if you want them.

We don't do tea either ... too tempting.

Mura

You don't have to tell the butler NOT to bring the canapes. You need to tell him WHAT to bring if you want them.

We don't do tea either ... too tempting.

Mura

However, we don't want anything at 4 - 5 pm before dinner. We are not used to having this course before dinner and when we have tried to do it in the past, it has ruined our dinner! ;)

I don't see the problem! No one is forcing you to order the canapes, and even if they did the portions are small. We don't order them either, just as we don't go to tea! I understand your reasoning, really I do!

Mura

We are not in a suite so no canapes for us

We do go to tea it is the highlight of DH's day

We do not snorkel everything in sight either

We do not order a lot for dinner & we do know portion control even if we are in the lower end cabins

YMMV