If don't get off the ship port charges refunded

Jay Sam

Cruising is evolving. NCL and RCI are attempting to take it in a whole different direction. From no MDR, to the need to book your entertainment months in advance to get into a show, to off broadway musicals and more, you could say disney-izing the industry. Some may think this is the future of cruising. We will see, I hope not so much.

RCCL and NCL got with of the Main Dining Rooms? NCL Getaway had 3 complimentary MDRs. Booking shows onboard was no problem either but I can see the benefit of doing it early, as well as the downside.

But like you mentioned in your post about not having to pay for bumper cars, ice shows and stuff you don't use, I just wondered if folks would be interested in cruising where you only pay for what you want. I wonder if it would come back into favor. Your post seemed to hint at it being prefered in a way. I would be willing to try such a ship.

Would you guys prefer an a la carte style of cruise?

If you want to see a comedian or show, you pay extra. Want to go to the chocolate buffet? Extra charge. Movies? Extra charge. Room service? Extra charge.

I don't like Carnivals shows (2.0 ones at least), don't care for the chocolate buffet, movies or room service. If they got rid of them and it saved me a few bucks that would be fine but others enjoy them. Personally never really thought about it until now.

Not being snarky or anything, curiously interested in if folks might like that style of cruising.

LOL- there is a cruise line that does this. They advertise themselves as "Feestyle" - errr - "Freestyle."

I hate to tell everyone this, but every cruise I have taken I have not gotten off at every stop and I have always seen a credit for port charges on my bill the last night. I cannot say for certain what it was for, but We have cruised a lot with my parents and my kids and have always seen a credit. There are always a port or two we skip.

That's because the cruise line collected too much for port fees. Every recent cruise I'm on I get it too, but still get off the ship for a little bit.

Ports charge per ship and the cruise line basis the price on a capacity that isn't full. When the ship starts filling up the port/taxes can then go down for late bookers and people who paid more for them get an OBC while on board.

It doesn't always happen, but my last 5 cruises I've gotten back anywhere from $3-$23.

You pay port charges because you docked at that port and Carnival brought you there. Whether you get on or off has nothing to do with whether they paid the port charges for stopping there. That's your decision and Carnival has zero to do with it nor should they "refund" you because you decided to stay on the ship that is docked in port.

I'm actually thinking you're being funny? Right?

Thanks to all the kind posters. I regret starting this thread when at times I have gotten sarcasm. Just asking a question on how things work.

Thanks to all who supported the question and were not snarky.

LOL- there is a cruise line that does this. They advertise themselves as "Feestyle" - errr - "Freestyle."

It wasn't my experience on NCL at all. The nly thing that cost extra was specialty restaurants. Sort of like how on Carnival Breeze had the Bonzai sushi, Cicina Italian place and Steakhouse? but NCL had a few more choices? I don't recall paying for shows or any other entertainment either.

When you sailed on NCL you have to pay for shows, entertainment and food outside of a specialty restaurant? What ship was than and when? Things must have changed since you sailed them. I will assume you sailed them and are not repeating misinformation like how some folks do about Carnival.

I am not saying it didn't happen on your NCL cruise, I just wonder what ship it was and how long ago?

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I've never taken public transportation, maybe I should pay less in taxes.

I've never been on welfare nor requested assistance, maybe I should get a refund.

Then again, I live in a democratic society and am willing

I hate to tell everyone this, but every cruise I have taken I have not gotten off at every stop and I have always seen a credit for port charges on my bill the last night. I cannot say for certain what it was for, but We have cruised a lot with my parents and my kids and have always seen a credit. There are always a port or two we skip.

Apparently you missed my earlier post.

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46537578&postcount=39

Sorry I asked this question. I was just wondering. Some of you are just plain vicious while assuming things about me that are not true. Not all but some.

I have never requested the gratuities to be refunded, and never plan to even if there is something wrong. And I take a dim view of those who do. The folks on the ships work plenty hard and I always make sure I thank them not only with words but with cash as well.

As a matter of fact, I always give my room stewards a nice tip as well as the staff in the MDR. When I see a staff member doing a great job in the buffet area I will often approach them and give them $5.00 or $10.00 and say thanks for your good work and making things so nice for us.

I also tip the folks that are sweeping the floors, cleaning the railings and those who I see on the decks cleaning the pool areas. I always take along a lot of extra 10s and 5s to thank those who most would not tip.

Frankly I wish all would pass along a little more thanks and money to those who are not in direct contact with us like those doing the sweeping, cleaning, mopping and those making sure the pool area is nice for the next day at 2AM. Tip those people as I do.

Hmmm....either you are a ship employee or just argumentative

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Theriac is the one with the correct answer. I live in Cozumel and have friends who work for the cruise lines. Port fees are based on the ship and not on the actual census of the ship.

I agree, but e real reason for my reply is a big like for living in Cozumel!!!!!

Good question OP and some people on here love to stir the pot.

That being said, we were on the Glory in March and our Miami port fees were refunded to us. We went ti GS to find out why and they had no answer - we just do is what they said. It was baffling, and don't get me wrong - yay money back to me, but we left from Jax and NOLA and those were not refunded. Weird.

On all of our cruises the last few years, we've each received a small credit on our S & S card. We "assume" it's because they adjusted the fees portion of our cruise.

Your charged port fee because the ship docks at the port. Carnival is charged for how many passengers it has on board. Don't mater what you do.

I do not think that Carnival is charged for how many passengers are on board. It is charged for the pilot, the dock workers that tie and untie the ship, for the longshoremen who do loading of supplies and unloading of trash, waste, etc. Carnival divides his cost is divided by by the number of passengers on board the ship and that number is what each passenger is charged. You only get those charges back if the ship misses the port.

I had the opportunity to hear a little about how the port charges work in Grand Turk from a tour guide. He said in GT Carnival pays $20k to dock plus a per head fee that includes the crew and indicated that it was a "lower" fee than others because of Carnival's ownership of the port area.

I'm not stating that as fact because how could I know for sure? But it sounds reasonable to me

On all of our cruises the last few years, we've each received a small credit on our S & S card. We "assume" it's because they adjusted the fees portion of our cruise.

We have seen the same thing happen to us on both Carnival and Princess. Adjusting the fees seems to be what is happening. Rather get a little money back than having to pay more.

I would think that if the cruise companies negotiated well, the ports would pay them to bring 2000 or 5000 people and all that money to their little island to support their economy.

As far as the dock workers that help tie up the ship, does the weight of each passenger make it harder for them?

I would think that if the cruise companies negotiated well, the ports would pay them to bring 2000 or 5000 people and all that money to their little island to support their economy.

As far as the dock workers that help tie up the ship, does the weight of each passenger make it harder for them?

LMAO... The cruise ships do not support our economy here as much as you may think. First the cruise companies take HUGE kick backs, commissions, whatever you want to call them. Example: A tour vendor who accepts tours from the cruise company may not put another outside paying customer on his tour, no matter how many openings he may have. The cruise companies especially Carnival keep increasing what they demand for their share. Many of the vendors agree with them because in slow season "some" income is better than none.

The passengers, especially off Carnival do very little shopping or buying here, other than booze and beer. I can not tell you how many times I have spoken up when a tourist is trying to bargain with a vendor and expects to get the item for next to nothing. These vendors have to pay for their stock and then support their families, yet tourists want it for nearly free.

When I am walking downtown, if I see passengers carrying shopping bags, I always stop them and thank them for shopping on the Island. If you pay close attention you will see that the percentage of cruisers who actually carry shopping bags is low.

As far as Port Fees, just who do you think should pay all the labor and upkeep costs for your ship to visit our Island? Who needs to pay the extra workload of Immigration, Aduana (customs), security people, police, pilot boats,port laborers, and many more?? Maybe the locals should be charged an extra tax for the honor of having you here??

I am on Social Security and I save hard for my cruises (NOT ALL LISTED) and I do not complain about paying port charges when I cruise, not even when Cozumel is one of the ports and I just go run errands and check on my home that day. If you can pay for the cruise, then do not gripe about the port charges.

One other gripe I have. When a street vendor tries to sell you, a simple "no gracias" goes a long way, instead of rudely turning your head and ignoring them. They are all trying to support their families!!!

Then who is going to pay the salaries of all the people at the docking point who service the ship while it is in port?

Thanks for the LIKE..it is a great place to live, but believe me all is not perfect in Paradise!! I still cruise to relax. :rolleyes:

I have no delusions about perfect.;) I do love the other side of the island, which I did not discover till our 10th time there.

RCCL and NCL got with of the Main Dining Rooms? NCL Getaway had 3 complimentary MDRs. Booking shows onboard was no problem either but I can see the benefit of doing it early, as well as the downside.

But like you mentioned in your post about not having to pay for bumper cars, ice shows and stuff you don't use, I just wondered if folks would be interested in cruising where you only pay for what you want. I wonder if it would come back into favor. Your post seemed to hint at it being prefered in a way. I would be willing to try such a ship.

What is the point of "Freestyle Cruising" if you have to book everything months in advance?

That's just stupid.

Andy