So I Booked It - Transatlantic 11/25

Winchester Ranger

After asking all the questions and figuring out options I finally took some brave pills and made the reservation today - 11/25 New York to Southampton. It will be my first solo cruise - ever.

Thought I'd share some details.

I went with a starboard balcony stateroom as recommended, and used Cunard's free upgrade deal to snag one at the oceanview rate - pre-selection added a few dollars but the total including all fees was $2,587.71 including the 75% solo supplement and Cunard travel insurance. Their current promotional offer also includes the daily gratuity fee which saves me another what, maybe $90 ?

Then came the question of the return airfare to get me from my UK home (Manchester) back to my American home (Phoenix) - and they quoted me $446.81 for economy which is mind-bendingly cheap. Just for fun I asked them to quote me for business class and the very helpful customer service associate announced that she could get me into British Airways Club World for $1,700 all in - I couldn't say "book it" fast enough. For reference British Airways quoted me $11,332 for the same one-way fare.

I booked an early sitting for dinner at a table for 8 with other solos so hopefully there's some good company.

So that's it - here I come !!

PS - lots of questions likely to follow, so apologies in advance.

Edited by Winchester Ranger

So pleased it all worked out for you - always great to hear back a good result when an OP has asked questions up front & received useful feedback.

Really hope you have a lovely time not only on the crossing but with your family whilst back here in Blighty. Enjoy & safe travels.

I can feel your great excitement. Good for you getting your return flight for a nice price. You will love your TA and it will definitely make you want many more!

Wonderful that Cruise Critic was able to help enough so that you are feeling very comfortable about the whole trip. Enjoy!

Congratulations! Some of us suffer acute cases of QM2-itis.

And acute cases almost always end in a chronic condition for which there is no remedy except further indulgence.

Congratulations, Winchester Ranger, on your forthcoming crossing. May it be the first of many.

Sounds like you have snagged a good deal and made some smart moves with the air arrangements, starboard balcony and a big table. Sharing a fixed seating big table solo transatlantic makes a lot of sense as you always have some familiar faces of an evening. I have always found friendly nice people on Cunard Transatlantic cruises.

Bon Voyage

John

Booking one way airfare to/from Europe through the cruise line is definitely the way to go. I had a similar situation this year where booking air through Cunard was less than 20% of what I would have to pay if I booked it.

Enjoy your crossing and please come back when you return home and let us know what you think of Cunard.

Well done, you might want to reconsider your early dinner though, you will be dressing and getting ready to eatvat about 4.30.

I am not so sure sir, as a solo traveller the OP will have an extended night life with lots of entertainment options and be able to get up early and have a relaxing breakfast in the MDR and share a big table to meet more new cruisers. I have found this format excellent and by day three everybody on the ship seems to say hello as they seem to know you.

Kind Regards

John

I am not so sure sir, as a solo traveller the OP will have an extended night life with lots of entertainment options and be able to get up early and have a relaxing breakfast in the MDR and share a big table to meet more new cruisers. I have found this format excellent and by day three everybody on the ship seems to say hello as they seem to know you.

Kind Regards

John

A chacun son gout. Dining at 8.30 has never precluded me from enjoying the night life on any ship nor has it prevented my enjoying a breakfast.

Congratulations - booking air via the line's arrangements makes huge sense - we did same for our Oct. flight to London. Just curious: have you a "hole-in-the-hull" lower deck balcony, or an upper deck one? Either way, the sunny side does make a huge difference. As a former solo cruiser I can confirm the desirability of a large table: having a regular nucleus to meet with each evening is one of the lesser-appreciated pleasures of cruising.

Have you decided whether to take a red-eye and arrive NY morning of embarkation?

Finally, on a ship - especially while the times are being set forward most days - dining earlier than is your habit is no problem: you may just want a lighter lunch than usual because the cumulative effect of a series of 23 hour days does need some addressing.

Well done, you might want to reconsider your early dinner though, you will be dressing and getting ready to eatvat about 4.30.

Noooo. More like 5.30pm. We got back from an excursion in Dublin last week at 6pm and still managed to get our glad-rags on and in Britannia for 6.30pm (which is the latest time allowed).

Noooo. More like 5.30pm. We got back from an excursion in Dublin last week at 6pm and still managed to get our glad-rags on and in Britannia for 6.30pm (which is the latest time allowed).

You are absolutely correct, It's so nice to rush.

You are absolutely correct, It's so nice to rush.

The OP won't have late return from an excursion to deal with at least.

We prefer late sitting but fortunately not everyone likes the same things.

I can understand on a winter TA when it gets dark so early that it probably makes more sense than a trip round the Med in June.

Edited by Host Hattie

Congratulations - booking air via the line's arrangements makes huge sense - we did same for our Oct. flight to London. Just curious: have you a "hole-in-the-hull" lower deck balcony, or an upper deck one? Either way, the sunny side does make a huge difference. As a former solo cruiser I can confirm the desirability of a large table: having a regular nucleus to meet with each evening is one of the lesser-appreciated pleasures of cruising.

Have you decided whether to take a red-eye and arrive NY morning of embarkation?

Finally, on a ship - especially while the times are being set forward most days - dining earlier than is your habit is no problem: you may just want a lighter lunch than usual because the cumulative effect of a series of 23 hour days does need some addressing.

So I didn't go crazy with the balcony and booked an obstructed view on Deck 8 - still second guessing that one but an unobstructed view seemed unreasonably more expensive. I took the advice of the service agent and booked a room where the much smaller crew lifeboat is located so the view isn't quite so obstructed. I can still change it, but I was at least sure to book starboard.

As for the red eye versus overnight stay I'm still debating that one - the decent hotels in NYC are prohibitively expensive and I'm choosing to put that money elsewhere at least for now. My current plan (VERY changeable) is to catch a direct flight that will put me in New York at around 4am on sail day, with a back-up flight after it that puts me there for about 6am. If all goes according to plan I'll have a lazy breakfast at the airport and kill a couple of hours before heading to the cruise terminal to see if they will let me in early. In the event that a snow storm blows in (this being November) and flights become chaotic I figure I will have several days notice and I will change plans accordingly (less than a week before the sailing date).

On the dining question the one thing that is making me think about changing to a late dinner is the afternoon tea which I hope to indulge myself on - and having tea at 4.30 and then dinner at 6.30 doesn't make sense. So I may well switch.

As for the flights, that is one area where I don't mind spending a few extra shekels. So I'm already booked BA club world which they gave me for an incredible price (through Cunard) and with a flight time to Phoenix of almost 11 hours on the way back I'll need my creature comforts, so.....I discovered on BA's website that they re-configure the aircraft for a 4 class configuration in November, adding First class - true First class on BA is a bucket list item for me and when I noticed that the difference on BA's website between Club and First was only about $500 I got back on the phone with Cunard to ask them for their price - so my Club World ticket cost me $1,700 and I was therefore hoping that First would be about $2,200 - turns out it was actually $4,688 - so I'll pass on that one. Moral of the story - Business class is great value, First class is terrible value.

Feel free to re-direct me, I welcome any input as all of this can be changed if needs be :D

Edited by Winchester Ranger

You've gotten a GREAT and jealousy making deal on my favorite ship. BUT I'd re-think arriving on the day you sail. It will be winter and holiday season; it's just before Thanksgiving, if I'm not mistaken, and YOU NEVER KNOW. Spend the money and check out one-day bargains through one of the reliable travel or hotel web-sites-you won't regret being safe. Bon Voyage!;)

Hmm interesting - I think you guys are going to bankrupt me :D

Comfort Inn - Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - a couple of blocks from the terminal - would run you about $140. That "lazy breakfast" at the airport would cost you at least $15 - making this suggestion a $125 net item. Hanging out at the inn - using the free wifi (as opposed to having to pay for it at JFK) to kill a few pre-boarding hours should be worth something. But think about the value of boarding well rested rather than sitting up overnight, deplaning at 4:00 AM, killing hours at JFK - and spending sailaway and your first afternoon and evening on QM2 feeling almost as though you just got off a red-eye --- oh, yeah -- you would have just gotten off a red-eye . Are you nuts?