Britannia G728/731 Noise/Soot Problems

Hi I wonder if someone who has stayed in one of the aft facing cabins on G Deck G728, G729, G730, G731 could advise whether you were bothered by the noise of the Live Lounge or by the 'soot problem' that has been reported in other threads? Would you stay in one of these cabins again?

Hi I wonder if someone who has stayed in one of the aft facing cabins on G Deck G728, G729, G730, G731 could advise whether you were bothered by the noise of the Live Lounge or by the 'soot problem' that has been reported in other threads? Would you stay in one of these cabins again?

Hi, I asked a similar question a few weeks ago - have a look through as there is a thread called Britannia aft. We are in F729 and are very excited. Ironically, just discovered that our TA was in F729 (a coincidence) on a cruise and said it was fine. I imagine there will be little bits of soot and I think I remember someone saying that they could hear music from the Live Lounge on the deck below us.

Not sure if this helps

Hi we were on E deck, aft cabin. Yes there was noise from the live lounge until about 10.30-11pm I think.It did bother us to some extent.The soot was intermittent. I took to using our pool towels on the balcony chairs as I got caught out and my navy top was covered.Enjoy.We loved the cabin!

What are we when I am originally a Stokie, wife is from Stafford and we now live in Stone :D. We went on Britannia Maiden and really enjoyed the ship but would not book an aft cabin (C732) again.

Edited by majortom10

We stayed in E742, over two weeks there were two mornings when we woke up to find the balcony covered in soot. It happened on days when the weather was not good enough to be outside so did not cause an issue. I would describe the balcony as unuseable until it was cleaned (which was done about 3.00 pm).

We were booked in an aft cabin on Britannia only to be told a few days before sailing that the deck plans were wrong so they moved us!! I was so disappointed at the time as I was really looking forward to seeing the wake of the ship but I can see how soot on the chairs would be really annoying, especially if you were wearing white shorts and didn't notice. :eek:

Our cabin steward on deck F Britannia was the best steward we have ever had, he was so efficient. I'm sure if you asked the steward to clean the balcony in the morning while you are at breakfast he / she would oblige. Our steward always had the cabin sorted as soon as we left. :)

If that's the case re 3pm could you ask for it to be done when needed. On Celebrity they did them first thing every morning.

Our cabin steward did his best during the morning clean. It was much cleaner, but there was still soot around (there was an awful lot of it). We didn't say anything, but at around 3.00pm a cleaning team arrived and did a much better job.

I think my comment when I first saw it was that there appeared to have been an explosion on the balcony.....

We were booked in an aft cabin on Britannia only to be told a few days before sailing that the deck plans were wrong so they moved us!! I was so disappointed at the time as I was really looking forward to seeing the wake of the ship but I can see how soot on the chairs would be really annoying, especially if you were wearing white shorts and didn't notice. :eek:

Our cabin steward on deck F Britannia was the best steward we have ever had, he was so efficient. I'm sure if you asked the steward to clean the balcony in the morning while you are at breakfast he / she would oblige. Our steward always had the cabin sorted as soon as we left. :)

Thanks for the info - like we've said, we have had aft cabins 3 times before so sort of know what to expect up to a point. On Celebrity they hosed the balconies down first thing in the morning as soon as they could even if there was only a tiny bit of soot. Only then would I wear white !!!! :D

Hi majortom. Not sure what we class you as but there seem to be a lot of folk from Staffs on here! Why wouldn't you have an aft again?

Wouldnt have an aft cabin again for 2 main reasons one being the soot problem even though on the Maiden in C732 it was not a major issue because the cabin steward cleaned the balcony and furniture every morning but on occasions we decided to sit on balcony some afternoons and had to wife off minor soot problems of the chairs ,tables and hand rails. The other being when a ship docks first thing in a morning if you are an early riser it is not a problem but if not when the bow thrusters operate the rear of the ship and cabins vibrate enough to wake you if you are asleep.

The other being when a ship docks first thing in a morning if you are an early riser it is not a problem but if not when the bow thrusters operate the rear of the ship and cabins vibrate enough to wake you if you are asleep.

Hi, we've found that in the past so know what to expect --- must admit on our last cruise it was nice to be in a cabin right at the front as we were able to enjoy a lie in. Some days we'd docked and didn't even know it !!!

I'm not good in the morning so probably being shaken up like that will make sure I get out of bed. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

First you have to realise that Britannia is the third member of the Royal Princess Class. Both Royal and Regal have suffered from the soot problem especially soot falling on the rearward cabins.

Britannia differs slightly from Royal and Regal in that she has two funnels (Ok 2 sets of pipes) as opposed to one. I have wondered if the design change was to help eradicate the soot situation. No 4 and No5 of the class is going to Princess - so it will be interesting if the double funnel is added to those. No 6 will be the sister ship of Britannia sometime around 2018.

If you read the Posts on Princess - Royal and Regal you will see that our Colonial Cousin's have been quite voiceiferous about the soot problem for some months.

Without doubt this is a technical challenge that Fincantineri and Carnival need to sort out.

Joe

First you have to realise that Britannia is the third member of the Royal Princess Class. Both Royal and Regal have suffered from the soot problem especially soot falling on the rearward cabins.

Britannia differs slightly from Royal and Regal in that she has two funnels (Ok 2 sets of pipes) as opposed to one. I have wondered if the design change was to help eradicate the soot situation. No 4 and No5 of the class is going to Princess - so it will be interesting if the double funnel is added to those. No 6 will be the sister ship of Britannia sometime around 2018.

If you read the Posts on Princess - Royal and Regal you will see that our Colonial Cousin's have been quite voiceiferous about the soot problem for some months.

Without doubt this is a technical challenge that Fincantineri and Carnival need to sort out.

Joe

No it has not solved the soot problem on Britannia and I think I am right as were told on maiden that one of the funnels is actual for effect only.

• 1 month later...

Hi Straffordshirecruiser. I was wondering if you have been on your cruise on the Britannia yet? We are on G deck aft cabin in mid-August, and were wondering what your experience had been of an aft cabin, if you have already been. If not, and you're on the same voyage, see you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if we're too late to reply. Just got back. Loved aft cabin f729 and only alittle soot one sea day for a short time. Cabin stewards hoovered and mopped it down straight away. A couple we met on an aft cabin on g deck got a lot of noise from the Live Lounge sadly and compained. We could hear the bass beat sometimes but it only annoyed us on the balcony, particularly mid afternoon when they rehearsed with the volume up was too high.

• 4 months later...

Just had friends return from Britannia and they were in G731. They were subjected to the noise from the Live Lounge, basically they didn't hear the music. just the bass booming into the suite until 1.30am also during the day when the band was practicing. Unfortunately they couldn't be moved but rec'd extra on board credit to compensate. The soot was also a problem on their second week.

Hope this helps when deciding choosing your suite.

PS You would think P&O would know about this problem and should be trying to resolve it.