Alaska vs. Antarctica

cl.klink

Not including excursions, just concerning the physical beauty and impressions of nature, how would you compare these? We are making our first visit to Alaska in 2 weeks,and first visit to Antarctica in 2017, so I can answer then. But, for those that have been to both already, what say you?

- Joel

Not including excursions, just concerning the physical beauty and impressions of nature, how would you compare these? We are making our first visit to Alaska in 2 weeks,and first visit to Antarctica in 2017, so I can answer then. But, for those that have been to both already, what say you?

- Joel

We live in Alaska (42 years) and my wife went to Antarctica on a Lindblad cruise three years ago. Rest assured they are very different, both worth a visit, and both marvelous areas to explore.

We live in Alaska (42 years) and my wife went to Antarctica on a Lindblad cruise three years ago. Rest assured they are very different, both worth a visit, and both marvelous areas to explore.

Interesting. What are the main differences?

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sail Alaska pretty much every year and love the mountains and Glaciers. I sailed on the Star Princess to Antarctica in 2009 and it is like Alaska on steroids. The 4-5 days went spent sailing the area around Antarctica was fantastic, ice and snow as far as you can see. Huge icebergs floating by and more wildlife than I had expected. We just did a "sail by" with no landings and it was still fantastic. I would repeat in a second but regulations have changed and the big ships no longer do this route.

Alaska is great but Antarctica was 5X better as far as scenery. This was on the top of my bucket list and am thrilled I did it when I had the chance. The Falkland Islands with the penguins and the Chilean Fjords were a nice bonus.

We did a "drive by" aboard a HAL ship in 2006/07 and it was AWESOME. I have been to Alaska 3 times, the 4th next week and it is beautiful but Antarctica is breathtaking. Our ship had 1300 passengers and that was a good size. We did not feel cheated that we only did the drive by, land was very very close. And did I mention the ICEBERGS? EVERYWHERE!!!! Both places are magical...IMO. Enjoy.

This spring we did a 42 night B2B2B series of cruises to Antarctica and then around South America. There is no comparison between the scenery in Antarctica and Alaska. While I realize that many people just think "ice" when they envision Antarctica, it absolutely stunning. The marine wildlife is abundant, and of course -- the penguins! We have photos of me standing literally inches from Magellanic and Gentoo penguins. And my birdwatcher husband was in heaven with the bird species only seen in Antarctica. There is also a very peaceful nature to Antarctica, with a serene quietness uninterrupted by sounds of civilization (such as aircraft overhead) which is hard to describe. But it certainly isn't a cruise for everyone, and folks should be prepared for wind and snow (one day we had about 4" on the upper deck), and the possibility of rough seas.

Thanks, everyone. Looking forward to being able to make the comparison myself. I am sure I will like both places.

I still get the sense that the two places are different qualitatively, not just quantitatively. Right? That is, Antarctica is not more or less of something, but different than Alaska. How? What is different between them?

- Joel

You did not say if you are doing a driveby Antarctica cruise or one with landings. Just my opinion but I feel that doing a driveby cruise through Antarctica is a total waste of money. It makes as much sense as doing a riverboat cruise in Europe on a boat that cruises up the river but doesn't stop anywhere or visiting London on a boat at goes up the Thames without stopping anywhere to let you see the sights.

I have been to AK many times (cruise, small boat with only 50 passengers, on the Alaska Marine Highway and on a 2 1/2 month driving trip. I have been to Antarctica only once so far. I feel that there is no comparison - Antarctica is infinitely better in all respects.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

This is really an apples and oranges questions. We could nitpick and say Antarctica ice is better while Alaska has more diversity in its landscape. Alaska has a taller mountain than anything in Antarctica but the iceshelves of Antarctica are in a world unto themselves. Alaska has more volcanoes and gets more earthquakes and has larger populated areas as well as six diverse geographic regions. We could go on and on but, bottom line, both are worth a visit for their uniqueness.

I sail Alaska pretty much every year and love the mountains and Glaciers. I sailed on the Star Princess to Antarctica in 2009 and it is like Alaska on steroids. The 4-5 days went spent sailing the area around Antarctica was fantastic, ice and snow as far as you can see. Huge icebergs floating by and more wildlife than I had expected. We just did a "sail by" with no landings and it was still fantastic. I would repeat in a second but regulations have changed and the big ships no longer do this route.

Alaska is great but Antarctica was 5X better as far as scenery. This was on the top of my bucket list and am thrilled I did it when I had the chance. The Falkland Islands with the penguins and the Chilean Fjords were a nice bonus.

We did Alaska like 20 years ago and I'm sure some things have changed and are doing it again this Sept. We did Antarctica last year and I would have explained it the same way as you did. By far, the Falkland Islands with hundreds of penguins around us within a few feet was by far the best experience. We bonused out due to the weather and missed a port in Argentina but the Chilean Fjords was added on so that was extra special. We were so close to the Fjords.

Angela

Angela

We did Alaska like 20 years ago and I'm sure some things have changed and are doing it again this Sept. We did Antarctica last year and I would have explained it the same way as you did. By far, the Falkland Islands with hundreds of penguins around us within a few feet was by far the best experience. We bonused out due to the weather and missed a port in Argentina but the Chilean Fjords was added on so that was extra special. We were so close to the Fjords.

Angela

Angela

Just a minor point. There may be penguins in the Falklands but the Falklands are not in Antarctica. The Chilean Fjords are really neat however.

DON

Just a minor point. There may be penguins in the Falklands but the Falklands are not in Antarctica. The Chilean Fjords are really neat however.

DON

Agree, it was just an added bonus to the Antarctica trip :)

Angela

I would love a trip to Antarctica but I wouldn't even know where to begin, what ship lines would you even use?

The Antarctic Cruise Critic forum is a great place to start and has a great amount of information.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Antarctic cruise -- felt like we were traveling to the edge of the world. But it probably is not a cruise that everyone would enjoy as much as we did.