What's the ONE thing you wish you had packed that you didn't?

SerenadingSarah

Never go anywhere without a flashlight.....they don't need to be big or bulky and there are some fantastic lightweight ones now on the market which don't weigh much. Also, since there is never any type of room deodorizer in the bathrooms of hotels or ships, I bring a small can of Ozium. (It's small enough to fit into my toiletries bag) You can find this in the automotive section of grocery stores in the fragrance section. It is so handy and I never travel anywhere without it. Gets rid of bad smells with only a small spritz.....just leave it in the bathroom on the counter for everyone to use. Scissors is another item I never go without.....mine is a small one with blunt tips, the kind that is used to clip a baby's nails. This should not be a problem anymore with TSA but just to be on the safe side, this gets put in the pocket of my checked baggage.

This takes up room, I admit, but for my husband's comfort, it is a necessity, especially for Caribbean cruises. I pack a small electric fan. Haier makes a nice small, compact, and very light one that is powerful for its size. If anyone has just come out of the shower after a long tour day in the late afternoon, he will understand the need of a fan. It might be cool in the room, but you need air circulation!!!!!!! So now the small fan gets put in the suitcase first thing!

Pooh

dito..would not cruise again without a fan..also helpful for women who are 'flashing' and I don't mean ..flashing body parts:p

I just bought an over-the-door shoe organizer at Wal-Mart, but it's mesh, not plastic. I think it will take less space in the suitcase and I can throw it in the washer when I get home.

Friend has plastic ,gets the job done but it shows dirts, lotions smears etc..with the mesh, sand, dirt fall right through and you never SEE if it is dirty :D

at Walmart - they had 3 different boxes, with different sizes and # of bags. I also saw them at JC Penney in the Housewares dept. I'm sure they also have them at Target, KMart, maybe even Walgreen's.

I take a journal (my daughter gave me one specifically for travels) on all my trips. Besides the usual questions, I also write down how much the flight cost and the cruise. I also try to take a business card from any restaurant or business that I particularly liked - the journal gives me a place to put them.

Thank you, I am going to try and find these this week in my travels around town! They sound prefect for storing dirty laundry! I almost always spend several hours the last evening washing all the dirty clothes bc I hate to bring them hom ein my suitcase! YUCK! But now, I can and enjoy the evening!

• 3 weeks later...

Those are all great ideas! Anyone have any other ideas?

I read one on another board before our last cruise. Bring magnets and/or magnetic chip clips. The walls in the cabins are usually magnetic and you can stick papers, etc...on the wall instead of scattered about the room!

Ear plugs, sleep aids.

Battery op fan with optional plug.

Cutsie magnets to put on the outside of your door (makes it Much easier to find!).

Extra memory card for camera (extra batteries too).

Small sewing kit (don't put in carry-on!).

Hand lotion, aloe vera.

Rubbing alcohol for getting water out of ears after snorkelling.

Less clothes, more money :D .

This will be my first cruise using an over the door shoe hanger. I got one from Wal-Mart that is mesh. I will try to journal, but at the very least, I will write down what I eat in the dining room and take pictures.

I always bring a power cord with at least six outlets on it. I also bring post-it notes to use for leaving notes for friends on their doors.

• 1 month later...

I've gotten some really cool tips and reminders here of things to bring, these are the one's I'm gonna bring:

1. Duffy bag (feather weight) for dirty clothes

2. Extention cord (for being plugged in multiples)

3. Over the door shoe hanger (Dollar store here I come)

4. Fan (I'm bringing the neck lanyard type)

5. Febreeze (to keep everything fresh smelling in cabin)

6. Superglue (you guys rock)

7. Coffee mugs (plastic oversized for mixed drinks)

8. High ligh pen (for marking things to do on itenerary)

9. Battery charger (for camera/electronics)

10. Aloe Vera lotion (for sunburn I guess)

11. Collasable plastic container (I'm gonna use mines

for ice, soda's & milk for my Kalulah's.

12. Door stop (to keep that balcony ajar to listen to the

waves.

Some of my own:

1. Personalized door sign. We're be celebrating our birthday's and anniversary. I may create a Cruise Critic one for in-between ocassions. :D

2. Nail polish/removal. May not need it or care, but hey.

3. Satin pillow case (I may miss mines)

4. Dove (I don't travel without my pink bar)

5. Ziplock sandwich bag (great for the Treo and for my

mini digicam). Never know when you're gonna be

splashed.

6. A lite backback (great way to carry things and have

hands free while out at ports).

7. Insect repellent (nothing romantic about those types of bites)

instead of a sweater, i usually take a wrap - that way i can use it to cover my legs if they are cold, i can use it as a cover on my arms if they are cold. Plus, they don't take up a lot of space & come in many colors (though i usually just use my black one)

Those are all great ideas! Anyone have any other ideas?

I read one on another board before our last cruise. Bring magnets and/or magnetic chip clips. The walls in the cabins are usually magnetic and you can stick papers, etc...on the wall instead of scattered about the room!

I use a cane or walker (rough sea's) and on board or esp at prot I use a phtographer/hunting/travel vest. It has pockets that will hold the world - passports, bottled water, books, cameras, foldable tote. I have this horrible habit of setting down my purse and it helps to have everything attached to me. Fanny packs don't work - to hard to go to the bathroom. Not afraid of pickpockets either - bag cannot be cut off of me - but with the hidden pockets it has anyone who tries to pick my pocket without my knowledge is in major trouble.

Also use bubble wrap. I try to pack light to have room for goodies - but then your clothes shift and wrinkle. Use bubble wrap to tighten the load. Then on the way home, can use it to wrap those precious bottles.

Also,not sure if anyone mentioned this or not,but if your going to Xcaret or other eco parks,make sure you take paba-free suntan lotions.They wont let you enter with one thats going to damage the water/fish/reef.You can buy there,but much more expensive...Dot

So funny I found this... i was coming on the question page to see what they said about sun tan lotions...what kinds they allow... :) I got stuck here reading the packing list... bingo here it is.. Tan lotions they Allow!!! :) thanks!

Febreeze. Our bedding would have a funny smell everytime our steward came in to turn it down or make it up in the morning. (I guess I don't like the smell of the cruise lines laundry??) Also, Febreeze worked for bathroom odors too. (Our bathroom carried a slight sewage smell most of the time. Nothing terrible, jsut enough that my super sensitive nose could pick it up.

have used fabric shhets in my luggage then tucked it under the covers.. nice smell :)

Does anyone have any pics of these over the door shoe organizers? I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure. And does anyone know why electric clocks don't keep the correct time? Sounds really strange!

Don't know how to add pics.. but if you go to ll bean and look for toiletree bags they have the bigger ones... if you go to Walgreens.com look for shoe storage bags and they have them. :) Sorry I couldn't have downloaded the pics. computer dummy here :)

Never go anywhere without a flashlight.....they don't need to be big or bulky and there are some fantastic lightweight ones now on the market which don't weigh much.

They have those that you don't need batteries for.. just shake and you don't have to worry about the batteries! :) just shake :)

Here a a few things I always bring:

Rubber suction cups with small hooks on them. They work great for sticking to the side of the ship on the balcony. Makes a perfect spot to dry the swim suits. Put them in the corner of the balcony and nobody sees them and the breeze drys the suits quickly.

My handheld GPS unit. Lots of fun to keep track of where you are when at sea.

Binoculars.

pop up laundry basket

zip ties. Lots of them in different sizes. Came in handy last time when our luggage was damaged. We used them to "stitch" up a seam that was blown out.

Air freshener for the bathroom. Nuff said!

backpack

snorkel gear

first aid kit complete with a selection of OTC meds.

We didnt pack our insulated coffee mugs, just couldnt imagine needing them (first time cruisers). Ended up buying them in the gift shop the first day, great for carrying coffee out on the deck first thing thing in the morning!

• 3 months later...

Archived