What's the ONE thing you wish you had packed that you didn't?

SerenadingSarah

Don't have a picture but it is just a plastic shoe holder organizer that you can hang over the outside of the bathroom door to store miscellaneous items in.

You can get them in different sizes.

Walmart, Target and many other stores carry them.

I believe they are in the same area with the ironing board covers, pop up laundry baskets, etc.

I thought of one more thing....a small plastic container filled with liquid laundry soap. When I get back from the pool or beach I quickly hand wash my swimsuit and DH's trunks and hang them to dry in the shower on a plastic hanger. Using the soap helps to keep them fresh and not "skunky" for the next wearing and also rinses out the salt so the colors stay more vibrant and the suits last longer.

Does anyone have a pic of those over-the-door thingies?

Here ya go! This one is hung on the wall behind my door (I have another one for cruising). They come w/ 4 hooks that go through the holes in the top of the organizer, then hang on the door. Got this one at Target in the laundry-hangars-organizers department :)

OverTheDoor.JPG.785bc51a94a8ff888f1fbf3346623973.JPG

I thought of one more thing....a small plastic container filled with liquid laundry soap. When I get back from the pool or beach I quickly hand wash my swimsuit and DH's trunks and hang them to dry in the shower on a plastic hanger. Using the soap helps to keep them fresh and not "skunky" for the next wearing and also rinses out the salt so the colors stay more vibrant and the suits last longer.

I just use the ship's shampoo for this. Saves me ONE thing I don't have to pack! (unlike the 10,000 others I think I HAVE to pack:D )

I bring my book wedge. It is a clear plastic piece that is the same size as your book- they come in paperback and hardcover sizes. They light up (use batteries) and does disturb anyone else in the room. We're basically cheap so we always go with 4 people.

Also- those little room fresheners from Bath and Body Works. 4" tall, but cover the odors great.

Also a mug- I always buy inexpensive ones with the idea I'll leave it behind. Never do though- haul it back with me.

Also- another great idea. I bring all my old undies and throw them out as I go. I figure I'll have 6 sqaure inches extra for more goodies I buy in port!

• 6 months later...

One thing that I am VERY glad I packed was SUPERGLUE! On the day of embarkation, I hit my big toe with my suitcase and peeled the top almost off! I glued the edges back down with superglue, and then covered it with a bandaid, and it was okay! I was so worried about snorkeling (our favorite thing to do) making it painful. No problems! I will never travel without it.

On my first cruise I forgot my contact case. It took me 3 days to find one in port. In the mean time I had to put them in the drinking glasses. Now I pack at least 3 of them so I won't forget. I also take an extra pair of contacts just in case one is lost or torn.

Not something you can pack but this is a helpful hint that I picked up on the boards. If you booked an inside cabin, turn the t.v. to the ships web cam and turn off the sound. Dark enough to sleep with just a bit of light to find the bathroom. As the sun comes up, the room will lighten naturally. I did not believe this would work but we used it just last week!

What's the ONE thing you wish you had packed that you didn't? -Sarah

Agree with all the posters about meds, power strip, clock, and chip clip.

Also, since my days as an athletic trainer in college I've carried about four band-aids and a few butterfly closures in my wallet between two business cards. Many a blister has been defeated as we walked around shopping areas on cruises. I also carry a quality REI first aid kit in the backpack I wear while boarding. Used it to help a lady in Costa Maya that fell and had a nasty cut this March while cruising aboard the Splendour. Mexican first aid might well be the ultimate oxymoron...

A very small electric fan has been a keen investment, got one at Target for about 7 bucks.

The emergency ponchos can be had for about a buck each, and with the cargo type shorts I carry three of them from the time we park the car at the dock.

I have about twenty more, but the last cruise we took some good quality Bose speakers and the iPod. We had a suite and the music sounded like our living room at home. Made the sleepy afternoons on the sea days as well as evenings nice. (Romantic too! :) )

Pack all possible over the counter medicines so you don't have to buy them (expensively) on the ship!
This is more than a money-saver! The ship's shops seem to be open very irratically, and you can't really count on being able to buy a bottle of Sudafed, a tube of sunscreen, or a box of tampons. So be sure to pack ALL those little toiletry items.

- A beach bag

- A waterproof container for money, IDs, etc

- Travel mugs for our mixed drinks that we made in our cabin

We ended up buying all this on the trip and paid more than we would have at home.

• 3 months later...

:) Ok, here are two things you may not have thought of. We took a three plug in unit to plug into the one and only plug in our room. We really needed the additional electricity for cell phone charges, digital cameras and camcorders. The second thing was an over the door shoe bag to hang on the closet door. The bathrooms are tiny on cruise ships not to mention very little counter space. We used this to hold all of our toiletry items, cell phones, brushes, change, etc... This was such a big plus for us that I don't know how we would have managed without it. You would be surprised at how quick you fill up the slots. I highly recommend this to anyone going on a cruise. This also keeps all the clutter off the small area that you do have. HAVE FUN....

Last summer I went to the Carribbean with 3 friends. Sometimes we charged a bottle of wine or pictures, etc. on just one of our cards. Later, breaking down the receipts could have been much easier if we had brought with us a small calculator. We could have each kept a running total of our own expenses. Unless you really like adding and subtracting lists of numbers on paper, a calculator is quite useful! ;)

I always keep the bags that you can roll out the air to put dirty clothes in.

I have 2 large ones and keep whites and colors separated. When ready to pack just roll the air out and pack it in the suitcase. The clothes then take up alot less room and makes space for things you might have purchased on the trip. When home, the clothes are ready to throw into the washer without sorting them again.

I always keep the bags that you can roll out the air to put dirty clothes in.

I have 2 large ones and keep whites and colors separated. When ready to pack just roll the air out and pack it in the suitcase. The clothes then take up alot less room and makes space for things you might have purchased on the trip. When home, the clothes are ready to throw into the washer without sorting them again.

I love this idea! Where could I find these bags at?:confused:

at Walmart - they had 3 different boxes, with different sizes and # of bags. I also saw them at JC Penney in the Housewares dept. I'm sure they also have them at Target, KMart, maybe even Walgreen's.

I take a journal (my daughter gave me one specifically for travels) on all my trips. Besides the usual questions, I also write down how much the flight cost and the cruise. I also try to take a business card from any restaurant or business that I particularly liked - the journal gives me a place to put them.

Archived