Getting Bumped on Koningsdam

kelleherdl

What do more experienced folks think is the probability of getting a nice friendly invitation from HAL to move our Koningsdam reservation to another cruise? We have booked an SC guarantee for the 15-27 April 2016 Greek and Turkish Treasures. This is the cruise right before the rescheduled Christening Cruise. We booked it before the first two cruises were cancelled. All Signature and Neptune suites now show as 'sold out.' I would hate to have to move a cruise just to accommodate some travel executive or something like that.

Not trying to be provocative, but the air travel plans alone concern me. Is there any protective value in taking HAL Air?

Dennis

Normally, I wouldn't worry much. But with a new ship roll-out anything can happen. Yes, there are a number of VIPs who have to be accommodated with the introduction of a new ship. If your booking is prior to the christening cruise, you should be okay.

If you have HAL's air arrangements, changes will be on their dime. If you handled flight booking yourself, make sure HAL compensates you for the change fees you'll incur if you have to move the trip to another time.

Good luck! Hopefully you will be able to stay right where you are.

HAL won't care if you move your reservation to another time. But if you booked paying a lower deposit -- then be prepared to pay a higher deposit. And the cruise you move to may even be higher.

HAL is not going to give you any deals since you are the one who wants to change reservations.

HAL air -- JMO -- and where we live we would end up with spending overnights in an airport as flights out of Pittsburgh are terrible to anywhere and we wouldn't let HAL book them. Maybe you have better and more connections where you live.

None of us have a crystal ball but having been aboard for a ship's christening, I can tell you the Neptune Suites were in high demand. We had one but I wouldn't count on that again. It is always risky booking a first/second cruise on a ship coming new from the boat yard. Can be delayed for any number of reasons.

Usually those who book those cruises think the relative risk worth it in order to be in an Inaugural or very early cruise on a brand new ship.

HAL won't care if you move your reservation to another time. But if you booked paying a lower deposit -- then be prepared to pay a higher deposit. And the cruise you move to may even be higher.

HAL is not going to give you any deals since you are the one who wants to change reservations.

HAL air -- JMO -- and where we live we would end up with spending overnights in an airport as flights out of Pittsburgh are terrible to anywhere and we wouldn't let HAL book them. Maybe you have better and more connections where you live.

I don't think he wants to move his reservation.. I think he is worried that HAL will bump him off his cruise, & is asking what chance there is of that, since they already cancelled two cruises before his..

I agree with Sail, It's a chance he is taking but if HAL wants him to move his cruise because they are planning to cancel his sailing then HAL should pay for any air cancellation fees imposed...They should also give him a generous OBC if they cancel his cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm sitting on an SB guarantee for the premiere cruise. I would expect some pretty spectacular compensation if bumped after final payment, but I don't discount any possibilities before that date.

I'm likely to do my own air arrangements, but I won't buy them until after final payment.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. I don't think I will have enough miles left for a reward flight so I am going to see what HAL will offer from RDU. And will watch flight fares. We will definitely insure this trip. I am not overly worried, but this is a desirable retirement cruise.

Dennis

When you say insure, be certain of exactly what coverage you are buying.

There is coverage for allowed reasons that include such things as illness and then there is cancel for any reason, some of which policies are not really insurance. The one HAL sells includes only $10,000 medical which is woefully little. You say Retirement Cruise so I will (hopefully correctly) think you may be on Medicare. Keep in mind Medicare does not pay out of U.S. so many of us senior are careful to purchase medical coverage 'just in case'.

Edited by sail7seas

Sails

Thanks for the thoughtful comment on Medicare and trip insurance. We chose to do this trip before I go on medicare. I'll still be on my company's reasonably comprehensive medical insurance pre-medicare. But no question we will use a solid plan through USAA for full value of the trip and medical supplement.

Dennis