Catching the bus in Ketchikan

aksharp1

My ship arrives at dock 4 at 630am. Would like to try to take the bus to Totem Bight early before the masses arrive. Can anyone tell me,exactly, where by the docks, do I catch the bus going north to the park? I've been to Ketchikan twice but have never noticed any bus stops (not that I looked for one). Thanks!

Here is a link to the route map. You want the Silver route headed north. Make sure you are on the correct side (away from pier/water) of the street. Downtown area at :25 after the hour. If there are lots of people at stop number 14 closer to ships head to stop 12 by Creek St.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/3135

We plan a stop at the Plaza Mall on the way back from TB then catch the free shuttle back to downtown.

It took me a long time to make any sense out of the schedule but it made sense after I called and spoke with a Ketch bus person. If you do street view of Google Maps you can see the stops.

Sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

You have no mobility limitations? You are at the farthest away dock, there is a bus stop near dock 4, that likely you wouldn't have problems getting on there. Just walk out the dock, cross the street and find a bus stop sign. :)

IF you want to board at the cruise ship docks, then the stop is Front and Dock Street. between dock 2 and 3. Walking- you will walk along the marina, past the tunnel, where the street curves and heads uphill. At the top, cross the street, with the bus stop on the right end of the street. There is a sign. I would suggest you consider taking the 7:25a bus.

Dock 4 is on the north end. I don't have good info on a stop there. If BQ says there is a stop there I'd bet that there is a stop there.

Coming back bus at TB :13 after hour and your stop is at :44 after the hour, number 58 on map (Berth 4) Water & Newtown, unless you want to see more of downtown.

Sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

Thank you for your help. Has been very helpful and I think I"m getting an understanding to the bus schedule. I'm going to look for the stop right across the street rather than catch the one between berths 2 & 3. I guess if I have to, I'll ask someone to point me in the right direction :)

Also don't forget to visit Potlatch Totem Park which is right next door.

Our back up plan is to take taxi out there and bus back. Costs more but doesn't waste 1 hr waiting for bus. Not sure how much it would cost but more than one can ride for same price.

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

New Summer Schedule 2015:

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/3454

Flyer of Summer Changes 2015:

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/3455

According to the flyer, "The Green and Silver Lines will discontinue service to the Berth 4 bus stop effective Saturday, May 16, 2015 for the summer. Green Line customers please use the stop one block south at City Float. Silver Line customers please take The Free Shuttle from Berth 4. Ask your driver for a transfer to Silver Line South." This is a little confusing. I assume only the Southbound is affected because Berth 4 is still in the Silver Line Northbound schedule.

Thank you for that new information. It looks like, though, I can still catch the Silver line going TO Totem Bight in/at Newtown. Is Newtown a road? A store? I can't find it on Google Maps. Heading back we'll just get off in town and browse around.

Are the bus stops for the free downtown shuttle the same bus stops for the public bus lines, also?

I believe a taxi to Totem Bight would be approx $30+ one way, plus tip. I just thought I'd save some money. But I'll take a taxi if I have to. I don't mind.

• 1 month later...

I am in Ketchikan today. A taxi driver quoted $37 for a rt to Totem Bight. We rode the 8:25 am bus. There was hardly anyone on the bus. We basically had the place to ourselves until we left on the 10:13 am bus.

The Silver Line bus is running 7 am to 7 pm on Sundays, per a sign on the bus.