Photography Studio - Solstice - question

KrystaGali

Not sure what you mean by "studio." Celebrity has outsourced their photography operation to a private company which provides the staff and related photo services onboard. Like photographers anywhere, some are excellent, others are good, and some are not so good. They sell a lot of different "packages" which consist of multiple combinations of photos. While not cheap, the photos are not unreasonably priced considering they are taken and processed by professionals. One great advantage is that you do not have to buy photos that you do not like.

On many evenings (especially formal nights) the photo staff will set-up in various areas (usually around the atrium) to take photos of anyone interested. They can sometimes do great work on formal photos, and again, you have no obligation to buy anything unless you like the result.

Hank

You might want to look into the all photos package for one price, sorry I forget the name of it. My GF and I did it (purchased on board) and had lots of fun going to all the different photo ops set up. I think we ended up with over 300 pix just from the 2 of us. With a whole family you would get great value of all the different combos of people.

X also does studio studies but having never participated, don't know about pricing/quality.

Hlinter - I ask about a studio since the X website lists "The Studio" when you look at their photography page.

TN Vol Fan - I am not sure the pre-paid package would work out so well for us. From what I have read on CC, each cabin would need to purchase their own package (except for cabins with children under the age of 21) - we have 4 adult cabins which would bring the unlimited photos to over $800. :(

If I'm not mistaken, on Reflection there actually was a studio, a place where you could go for a specially-booked portrait session. That was a separate price but it might work well for your group.

Note that if you think you'll want lots of poses of the full group, you might still consider having one cabin (whoever likes posing for pictures the most, or whoever qualifies for the biggest discount!) purchase the unlimited package. If you purchase it, for example, any pictures YOU are in will be included, no matter who else is in them. At least, that is my understanding.

From mycruisephoto.com:

Your Get the Picture! disc will contain your photos that include at least one member of the purchasing stateroom, up to 20 people. We can accommodate families traveling in more than one stateroom where the occupants are the children 21 and under of the purchasing stateroom. If you meet this criteria, please order one photo package online and speak to a member of the Photo Gallery when you arrive onboard to have this arranged. We are not able to link accounts before you arrive onboard.

The individual photo prices are astronomical--like $25 for one contact sheet which is an 8x10 and 3 wallets--so it doesn't take too many group shots that you're happy with to make the package worthwhile. Plus, I think we got both the digital images and the prints with our package, which makes it really easy to share your favorites with the whole group.

Note the following, however:

If you wish to set up an hour of private photography for the group, you may do so by inquiring in the Photo Gallery as soon as you board the ship. Group photos booked by special appointment and other special events are not included in our photo packages.

On the other hand...

There is no fee for posing for photos. All opportunities onboard, including studio sittings, are free of charge with no obligation to purchase. If you would like to purchase the photos, you can either pre-order a package online or visit the Photo Gallery once onboard.
Edited by schlimazel_traveler

The individual photo prices are astronomical--like $25 for one contact sheet which is an 8x10 and 3 wallets--so it doesn't take too many group shots that you're happy with to make the package worthwhile. Plus, I think we got both the digital images and the prints with our package, which makes it really easy to share your favorites with the whole group.

Even more than that - it's now $25 for a 5x7 on it's own and $30 for the 8x10 with the three smaller. (At least, that's what was charged on Eclipse yesterday). I don't know the exact package price but I can see how it could soon work out cheaper.

Hlinter - I ask about a studio since the X website lists "The Studio" when you look at their photography page...

Yes, there is a Studio, walked right into it last week when we were on Solstice. No one was there at the time. They seemed to have some props and things. I didn't see any pricing but there was a simple sign-up sheet at the door. :)

• 4 months later...

I assume we can use shipboard credit to purchase photos even though it is provided by cruise photos. Please correct me if I am wrong. We have like 1375 in cruise credits and with a RS and prem bev package I'm not sure what we are going to spend it all on. Though DW will probably find a way.:p

I just looked it up for my upcoming sailing--$225 for unlimited or $175 for 10 pictures. The price changes from sailing to sailing.

That's not terrible. We pay $150/$175 for unlimited pictures when we go to Walt Disney World. We will probably be more presentably-attired on the ship. :)

There is a separate studio where you can get some beautiful black and white photos done. We did but we were shocked at the prices of the prints. We bought 7 photos and it cost 900 dollars. Once off was OK but we will never do it again.

Celebrity has outsourced their photography operation to a private company which provides the staff and related photo services onboard. Like photographers anywhere, some are excellent, others are good, and some are not so good. They sell a lot of different "packages" which consist of multiple combinations of photos. While not cheap, the photos are not unreasonably priced considering they are taken and processed by professionals. One great advantage is that you do not have to buy photos that you do not like. Hank

Appreciate the good question and the excellent above comments from the smart and savvy Hank. YES, lots of varied qualities for ship photographers. From what I have observed, some of the photographic products/prints seemed to be a little over-lighted, in sterile settings and/or too posed. BUT, that is my opinion!! Such photos are very personal. Talk with the photographer(s) on your ship. See some of their products and get a sense for their approach/style. Maybe there is a "fit" that satisfies you. Maybe not. In chatting with them on the ship, have ideas for your desires and see how well they can adapt and adjust. Some listen well to the customers and can elevate their game. Others, however, are just "one-trick-ponies" who only do snap-snap-snap without much sensitivity and/or skill.

Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 120,038 views for this posting.

I assume we can use shipboard credit to purchase photos even though it is provided by cruise photos. Please correct me if I am wrong. We have like 1375 in cruise credits and with a RS and prem bev package I'm not sure what we are going to spend it all on. Though DW will probably find a way.:p

Yes, you can use your shipboard credit to purchase photos, photo packages, even albums or photobooks. If you have OBC to burn, you might find some of those options appealing.

But there are also onboard shops where you can buy jewelry, cosmetics, and liquor...

Tell the photographers on board what you want and ask for a price. A honeymoon couple on our last cruise did this. Don't know what they actually paid but I know they had queried early on in the cruise and thought the pricing was too much but then did negotiate a package that included a couple of B and W prints, a beautiful portrait on formal night of the couple and a few other more typical holiday shots.

Nothing to loose by enquiring! Family sittings on land for portraits are pricey, if you can get extended family together for a sitting you are capturing special memories.