Solstice 5/15

melsdt

The weather sounds nice! Only 18 days until it's our turn! :D

Just ordered a lighter weight waterproof jacket... as I think the one I already had might be a tad overkill unless daytime temps are in the 50's.

Being from Florida, and having always cruised from here (save our one Bermuda sailing last year from NYC) makes packing for this one a little different ! I've read that people tend to dress a bit more casually in the evenings for Alaska sailings - would you say that's correct?

Looking forward to dining in Luminae too. :)

Tom

Hi Tom, I just got off Solstice on Friday....weather was fabulous

last week too:D......

Hi Tom, I just got off Solstice on Friday....weather was fabulous

last week too:D......

Obviously Alaska has some appeal to us Floridians!

This will be our first trip - looking forward to it. :cool:

Tom

Obviously Alaska has some appeal to us Floridians!

This will be our first trip - looking forward to it. :cool:

Tom

Tom and Cheryl:

I did Solstice last year and you are very lucky because Brent Nixon and his wife are on the ship as Naturalists. As you are heading up into Sawyer Glacier, he will give a running commentary on various sights. If the weather is nice try and get to a high deck and watch, I would not recommend sitting on a veranda unless its an aft. We did the catamaran at the glacier and came back to Juneau where we met the ship, it was great. As you are going into the Glacier area you will see sights on both side and you could miss them. Brent also gives a lecture each day in the theater, usually about an hour or so. Subject might be whales, bears, etc, He really know his stuff.

Tom and Cheryl:

I did Solstice last year and you are very lucky because Brent Nixon and his wife are on the ship as Naturalists. As you are heading up into Sawyer Glacier, he will give a running commentary on various sights. If the weather is nice try and get to a high deck and watch, I would not recommend sitting on a veranda unless its an aft. We did the catamaran at the glacier and came back to Juneau where we met the ship, it was great. As you are going into the Glacier area you will see sights on both side and you could miss them. Brent also gives a lecture each day in the theater, usually about an hour or so. Subject might be whales, bears, etc, He really know his stuff.

Good tips and info - THANKS.

I copied what I posted on our roll call, as far as our plans:

For Monday we booked: JU94 - Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer. After reading lots of great reviews, we jumped on this one. I like that you board right from the ship that morning (Monday) then meet up with the ship that afternoon after it docks in Juneau.

For Tuesday we booked: SKA6 - White Pass Legacy Club Luxury Railway Experience. Sounds like this is a good upgrade from the "regular" railway car, though doubt I'll be taking advantage of the complimentary beer/wine for that morning excursion. WAIT, what time will that be in Florida? ! :D

We thought we'd perhaps sample some local dining spots. We've penciled in the following --

Ketchikan:Alaska Fish House

Juneau: Tracy's King Crab Shack

Skagway: Skagway Fish Company

None of them are "fine dining", but have great reviews - and a few dishes we'll have to sample !

Tom

Mel: We're booked on the Solstice in a Royal Suite later this year; I thought the premium beverage package was included in this fare catagory. Your initial comments suggest someone in your group was asked to Upgrade to the premium pkg? Perhaps this was someone not in an RS, or perhaps I'm just misinformed?

The weather sounds nice! Only 18 days until it's our turn! :D

Just ordered a lighter weight waterproof jacket... as I think the one I already had might be a tad overkill unless daytime temps are in the 50's.

Being from Florida, and having always cruised from here (save our one Bermuda sailing last year from NYC) makes packing for this one a little different ! I've read that people tend to dress a bit more casually in the evenings for Alaska sailings - would you say that's correct?

Looking forward to dining in Luminae too. :)

Tom

In fact, look at the weather for next week.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/juneau-ak/99801/may-weather/331728

Juneau is a good measure of the temp and conditions you will have most of the trip. It will be chilly at night however.

Mel: We're booked on the Solstice in a Royal Suite later this year; I thought the premium beverage package was included in this fare catagory. Your initial comments suggest someone in your group was asked to Upgrade to the premium pkg? Perhaps this was someone not in an RS, or perhaps I'm just misinformed?

Yes, premium package was included and was awesome. It was for a traveling companion in another room category.

Sorry for the delay between posts. The included free internet package did not work all week after the first day. This was one of many mishaps with our first suite experience after the new benefits kicked in. I will complete my full review later or when we return.

By the way, the weather was fantastic. In fact, here I sit in Seattle, on a cold, dreary, rainy day; a far contrast to the sunny warm weather we had all week.

Hi again melsdt. I hope you and your family are having a wonderful time!

Please report if you get a moment: are spa specials being offered? ...and did you enjoy Murano? Thanks so much!

I didn't notice any specific spa specials. Actually, they did have certain time of day special listed in the daily. Like x% off appointments at 8am, etc. I used the 15% off elite coupon for a canyon stone pedicure which was pretty nice. Murano food and service were excellent.

My husband and I have booked the Royal suite on Solstice for Alaska. Any info you can give would be great. It I'll be my first on Celebrity, so I'm excited to hear all about it. If I may ask, what room number are you?

Hi Chicogirl, we were in 1118. The room was awesome. The only thing I didn't like was that you had to close yourself into the closet to open the doors of the dresser. Obviously, this is minor but was a little annoying. The bathrooms were spacious and the shower was amazing. We did actually use the jacuzzi on the deck since the weather was so nice.