Blackout on Quantum on way to Dubai

We received A scary letter at the beginning of this leg that for five days deck 5 will be closed. We are instructed to close our curtains entirely after sunset. They tell us they have watchers to look for possible trouble. They will be using blackout paper on windows.

Internet is like dial up. They use the words dial up when explaining there will be no high speed internet all the

way to Shanghai

Food and entertainment is very good. We eat early so no problem with Dynamic Dining. Crew is great!

Really glad we were able to see Momma Mia during first leg as they all left in Barcelona.

This is a regular procedure when sailing in certain waters. The restriction on light emitting from the ship enables the lookouts to see any other small unwanted vessels approaching the ship. When we sailed in this area we had an additional drill called "Safe Haven" that actually needed to to enacted at one point. :eek:

Sounds relaxing! What is different about deck 5 from the lights that would be coming from deck 11 at night?

I suspect all lights will be out, not to mention the ship will be travelling as fast as possible. I wonder if they brought extra security on board for this leg of the cruise?

I suspect all lights will be out, not to mention the ship will be travelling as fast as possible. I wonder if they brought extra security on board for this leg of the cruise?

I would think that's why deck 5 is closed. Most likely that is where extra (possibly armed) security would be as that would be the access point for someone trying to board the ship.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

It would take a pretty tall object to make it up to deck 5! I would expect the loading bay would be the lowest access point, or if someone's going up, I'm thinking the path of least resistance would be an open air deck.

It would take a pretty tall object to make it up to deck 5! I would expect the loading bay would be the lowest access point, or if someone's going up, I'm thinking the path of least resistance would be an open air deck.

Pirates make it up on freighters and they won't be much higher than deck 5 on Quantum, The last thing RC wants is a ship held hostage with thousands guests on board. I have a suspicion that their might be extra help ;) and I wouldn't want to get in their way.

A creative new way to use the North Star in the daytime, as "heightened" security.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it you have not seen the film Captain Phillips ..

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/boat.jpg

Edited by Single Cruiser

No problems on the cruise. Each night after sunset all lights would dim in the buffet. The crew would use flashlights after closing.

We had a practice "Safe haven" drill when all those in outside cabins moved to the Hallway and our room steward checked every cabin and put a sign on the door that said "Evacuated."

Extra security were on board for 3 nights then dropped off at Muscat, just before Dubai.

Internet is like dial up. They use the words dial up when explaining there will be no high speed internet all the

way to Shanghai

Can someone confirm, does this mean that for Asia, Quantum will no longer have high speed internet?

Perhaps due to unavailability of satellite in the area?

I'm taking the 3 night RT Singapore sailing, if the internet is like dialup, then no point of paying just to try the high speed internet at sea..

I am on the Quantum now, Dubai to Singapore leg. I have bought the unlimited package. I would say the Internet is not as bad as people have reported. But it may be dependent on location. It was very fast at the Music Hall at times. I sent a large number of photos to my friends right now and they went amazingly fast. I got instant responses from friends back home too.

We are having a sea day today. Sailing from Muscat to Cochin.

This drill was practiced just as life boat drills are practiced. In Case it was necessary.

It was dark on deck 5 and 15 from dusk to dawn and due to the limited lighting you were not able to go on these decks. The lights were out to improve the ability to look out into the sea at night. That was the same reason the Balcony rooms needed to close their drapes

The windjammer was open and fully lit and had no drapes.

Yes, extra security was brought on the ship for look out and yes the north star was used for look out.

We never felt unsafe. Many cruise ships pass through this area all without incident.

This drill was practiced just as life boat drills are practiced. In Case it was necessary.

It was dark on deck 5 and 15 from dusk to dawn and due to the limited lighting you were not able to go on these decks. The lights were out to improve the ability to look out into the sea at night. That was the same reason the Balcony rooms needed to close their drapes

The windjammer was open and fully lit and had no drapes.

Yes, extra security was brought on the ship for look out and yes the north star was used for look out.

We never felt unsafe. Many cruise ships pass through this area all without incident.

I was wondering if they would use North Star for lookout. Did this time period coincide with the days that they said that North Star would be unavailable or was that for a different reason?