What is fizz? This weeks UK "Promo"

DYKWIA

This weeks promo in the UK (in lieu of perhaps more realistic pricing) includes room credit + free drinks and "a bottle of fizz"

No Champagne, not bubbly - but fizz!

Spotted that Oceania have a 14 night cruise from Southampton to Rome (inc airfare from Rome back to UK) that's the same price (or thereabouts) as The Eclipse's Med Cruise for a Balcony - includes gratuities, premium drinks package, chauffeur transfers, specialty dining.

This weeks promo in the UK (in lieu of perhaps more realistic pricing) includes room credit + free drinks and "a bottle of fizz"

No Champagne, not bubbly - but fizz!

Spotted that Oceania have a 14 night cruise from Southampton to Rome (inc airfare from Rome back to UK) that's the same price (or thereabouts) as The Eclipse's Med Cruise for a Balcony - includes gratuities, premium drinks package, chauffeur transfers, specialty dining.

got the Oceania deals through the post myself this morning, some real bargains to be had there.

Sparkling wine.

You'd hope but it could be anything - a bottle of diet coke, bucks fizz mix. Safe to bet it wont be a bottle of champagne. I was just surprised at the unusual term "bottle of fizz"

It's even more of a shame that Celebrity think the British are to be tempted to pay such inflated prices if they include a free bottle of 'fizz' instead of free gratuities, after all we already leave it untouched in the cabin in AquaClass. With prices up on average 30% on last year ( some even more ) Oceania and Azamara are offering better value for money.

I would have described us as Celebrity cheerleaders but we have cruises booked with both the above companies instead of Celebrity this year. I do hope that this years prices for Europe are just a blip, certainly we can't open a paper without seeing an advertisement for Celebrity cruises. Caribbean cruises on the other hand are offering extremely good value for money and we will be sailing with them.

How I wish we lived in the US, if we didn't have airfare I would describe Celebrity in the Caribbean as cheap.

Fizz is probably like a lot of other words that the British use to refer to things differently than we do like bonnet, biscuit, and kettle.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Fizz is probably like a lot of other words that the British use to refer to things differently than we do like bonnet, biscuit, and kettle.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Nope, I've never head of the word being used except in terms of Fizzy Pop - I.e. coke, lemonade. In terms of Alcohol - Bucks Fizz or Gin Fizz and that's about it. If you were to walk into a bar or restaurant in the UK and ask for a bottle of Fizz my guess is that the staff wouldnt know what you wanted.

We use Champagne to mean EXACTLY that - French sparkling wine from Champagne. Any other sparkling wine would normally get referred to as Bubbly, although Proseco is getting quite popular now. So in terms of marketing Champagne, Bubbly, Champers, proseco, possibly Asti, are words you would expect to see used and pretty much you'd know what to expect. Fizz not so, and therefore from a UK perspective you could end up with virtually anything.

I have visions of disgusting 50p a bottle cheap Perry, which is sometimes marketed like a sparkling wine although it is closer to a cider.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25302633

Nope, I've never head of the word being used except in terms of Fizzy Pop - I.e. coke, lemonade. In terms of Alcohol - Bucks Fizz or Gin Fizz and that's about it. If you were to walk into a bar or restaurant in the UK and ask for a bottle of Fizz my guess is that the staff wouldnt know what you wanted.

We use Champagne to mean EXACTLY that - French sparkling wine from Champagne. Any other sparkling wine would normally get referred to as Bubbly, although Proseco is getting quite popular now. So in terms of marketing Champagne, Bubbly, Champers, proseco, possibly Asti, are words you would expect to see used and pretty much you'd know what to expect. Fizz not so, and therefore from a UK perspective you could end up with virtually anything.

I have visions of disgusting 50p a bottle cheap Perry, which is sometimes marketed like a sparkling wine although it is closer to a cider.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25302633

Champagne has to be produced in Champagne, Jersey Royals have to be grown in Jersey . My vintner said fizz is a generic term [whatever that means] for sparkling wine that isnt champagne

Edited by ukgolfmad

Champagne has to be produced in Champagne, ..

Except in North America! Something to do with not ratifying the treaty of Versailles and Grandfather rights on the use of the word on established brands

I always call Champagne - Fizz. But also use the term for any other sparkling wines. Some bottles of fizz are every bit as good as some non-vintage champagnes, but you're right - you won't get champagne as the freebie

:)

I always call Champagne - Fizz. But also use the term for any other sparkling wines. Some bottles of fizz are every bit as good as some non-vintage champagnes, but you're right - you won't get champagne as the freebie

:)

My personal favourite Bubbly is Pelorus (by the folks at Cloudy Bay) miles better than most Champagne, Lindaur Special Reserve (about 1/2 the price of Pelorus) is also very good.

My personal favourite Bubbly is Pelorus (by the folks at Cloudy Bay) miles better than most Champagne, Lindaur Special Reserve (about 1/2 the price of Pelorus) is also very good.

Love Pelorus. It won't be that either though!:)