PVP refund credit questions

shepp

I've searched, can't find the answers, and the Princess rep gave my TA what I strongly suspect are clueless responses. (Surprise!) And the PVP desk is closed till Monday.

If I have Platinum PVP and use the cancel-for-any reason provision, is there a time limit for using the resulting credits? Is that time limit till booking, or till sailing?

And does the entire credit have to be burned off on one cruise? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

I thought that I remember reading that it was within a year. Call the insurance company directly and find out for sure.

877-846-8833 , office hrs 8am to 10pm, ET on M-F and 9am to 5pm, ET on Saturday.

Edited by ar1950

. . . And does the entire credit have to be burned off on one cruise? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

I used a Cancel-For-Any-Reason credit a few years ago and yes, the entire amount had to be applied to one cruise, I couldn't split it up. I fortunately was able to burn it all by booking a higher category cabin on a more expensive cruise.

I actually have the opposite problem currently: I'm wondering if I have two CFAR credits, can I use them both on one cruise? Anyone know?

I used a Cancel-For-Any-Reason credit a few years ago and yes, the entire amount had to be applied to one cruise, I couldn't split it up. I fortunately was able to burn it all by booking a higher category cabin on a more expensive cruise.

I actually have the opposite problem currently: I'm wondering if I have two CFAR credits, can I use them both on one cruise? Anyone know?

I would think so... it's basically set up as a fcc.

...I actually have the opposite problem currently: I'm wondering if I have two CFAR credits, can I use them both on one cruise?...

Yes, you can. I know this because I recently did it. One of mine expires the end of 2015, and the other the end of 2016. When I booked my replacement cruise for this fall on the Princess site, it automatically used both of them towards reducing the fare balance. I didn't have to do anything additionally to make it happen :).

We have split them between two cruises. We have used two in one cruise. And they expire on December 31 of the year following the year the original cruise was to have sailed. So they are good for up to two years if it was a January cruise; one year if it was a December cruise.

We have split them between two cruises. We have used two in one cruise. And they expire on December 31 of the year following the year the original cruise was to have sailed. So they are good for up to two years if it was a January cruise; one year if it was a December cruise.

Cool! That's excellent.

I did talk to a Princess rep yesterday who said you could split a single credit between cruises, but I guess there's worse things than being forced into cruising for a couple of weeks, huh? Anyway, it was a Princess rep, so let's see what the PVP person says tomorrow morning.

BTW, it's a (for us) pricey Japan cruise, and by canceling and rebooking (after final) we just saved almost 30%, even including non-refundable insurance costs. Yippee!

Edited by shepp

Quick update. Just heard back from my TA. Maybe because it was an instant rebook, Princess applied some of my previous payment to the new booking and is refunding the difference directly back to my credit card. Factoring in the TA's discount, I'll be saving more than 30% of what I was expecting to pay.

I'm a very happy cruiser.

Cool! That's excellent.

I did talk to a Princess rep yesterday who said you could split a single credit between cruises, but I guess there's worse things than being forced into cruising for a couple of weeks, huh? Anyway, it was a Princess rep, so let's see what the PVP person says tomorrow morning.

BTW, it's a (for us) pricey Japan cruise, and by canceling and rebooking (after final) we just saved almost 30%, even including non-refundable insurance costs. Yippee!

I'm doing this more and more often. To me, PVP guarantees me the lowest possible price...before or after final payment. As you point out, we do lose the cost of the PVP on the original cruise but frequently we still come out ahead. Meanwhile, we are assured a cabin on the ship, which we might not be if we waited until after final payment to make the first booking, and the cost of the PVP is usually worth that.

Yours is also a perfect example of where Princess allows some latitude with price drops after final payment if one points out he has PVP and will cancel and rebook if not accommodated.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo