'Round the Horn cruise with 5 and 7 year old kids

VagabondMom

We are cruising the NCL Sun around Cape Horn from B.A. to Val. at the end of Feb 2016 with our two young daughters, ages 5 and 7. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on good excursions (or bad ones) for kids this age or other things to look out for that I may not have thought of. We will be spending a couple of months in Argentina before the cruise, and a few months in Chile afterwards, so child-friendly excursions or must-see recommendations in both countries are welcome. This is my second cruise, and the first for DH and the kids Thanks in advance.

Here is the port list:

Buenas Aires

Montevideo

Puerto Madryn

Stanley

Ushuia (until 2pm)

Punta Arenas

Puerto Chacabuco (until 2pm)

Puerto Montt

Valpariso

Edited by VagabondMom

• 3 weeks later...
We are cruising the NCL Sun around Cape Horn from B.A. to Val. at the end of Feb 2016 with our two young daughters, ages 5 and 7. I'm wondering if anyone has tips on good excursions (or bad ones) for kids this age or other things to look out for that I may not have thought of. We will be spending a couple of months in Argentina before the cruise, and a few months in Chile afterwards, so child-friendly excursions or must-see recommendations in both countries are welcome. This is my second cruise, and the first for DH and the kids Thanks in advance.

Here is the port list:

Buenas Aires

Montevideo

Puerto Madryn

Stanley

Ushuia (until 2pm)

Punta Arenas

Puerto Chacabuco (until 2pm)

Puerto Montt

Valpariso

Here is our review of our Around the Horn cruise and pre and post tours.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

If you are looking for an economical bed and breakfast where you can rent a three bedroom apartment for $80, check out:

El Jardin Del Tango has to locations, close to each other. We booked Casa Jasmin and took the option not to share the sole bathroom for the apartment. We had the apartment to ourselves. It had a kitchen, bathroom, living room, two full bedrooms and another small bedroom. Price was excellent. Location was great with easy access to the Metro or walking to many areas in the city. The apartment is located on the sixth floor of an apartment building. It was like staying in a middle class Buenos Aires apartment, which gave us a sense of living there. The refrigerator was stocked with juices, milk, yogurt, melon, eggs and more. There were cereals, coffee, tea and bread. Rachael brought us bananas, since I mentioned that I liked bananas.

jardindeltango@gmail.com

www.jardindeltango.com

I think your kids will enjoy the many nature tours, especially the penguins. I do recommend a tango show in BA, but that would not be good for the kids.

At 5 and 7 years old kids may get more out of playing on a pile of gravel than visiting any historical site or natural wonder. You never know, but:

I would consider visiting Iquazu Falls from Buenos Aires.

The Mercado del Puerto, a short walk from the port in Montevideo, amazed us by grilling huge cuts of meat over hot coals. It is worth a walk through, if you have not already seen something similar in Buenos Aires. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294323-d314229-Reviews-Mercado_del_Puerto-Montevideo_Montevideo_Department.html The place is a vegetarian's worst nightmare.

The kids should enjoy a funicular ride in Valparaiso.