Children attending shows

kimbo444

The late night (midnight) shows are usually "adult" comedians and the staff is pretty strict about enforcing the 18 or older rule.

There is no age requirement for the evening shows - although some of the costumes imo are a little skimpy.

On my last cruise, I was seated in the theatre for the early evening show with my 10 year old granddaughter beside me. She was very excited to be seeing her first non-kid performance. No sooner had the dancers come out and finished their first spins on the stage when she leaned over with eyes as huge as saucers and whispered "Grandma!!! Their butt cheeks are showing!" :eek: :D I guess you have to judge the maturity level of your own children first.

Beth

Oh that's funny Beth! I am going to bring both boys but sit in the back and make an exit if I have to. I don't want them bothering anyone.

Lauren was extremely quiet for the remainder of the show. Once the shock wore off and she felt she could look at the dancers again :o, she really enjoyed herself and couldn't wait until the next evening's show. BTW - this WAS a Broadway-type review. Her little 7 year old sister however was very bored with the whole thing and fell asleep with her head on Grandpa's lap. One night's show was a magician and the girls were completely mystified with the tricks. They talked about it for weeks and could hardly wait to get home to tell their parents all about it. We certainly made memories that week. :D

Beth

We had our Grnadson's on a cruise in March and the 12yr. old joined us one evning for the nightly show. Well his eyes poped out also. When we related this to his Mother she laughed and said it was part of his education. LOL

She was right.

My 9yo son has been on 3 cruises in the last three years. He has really enjoyed the ice skating shows and the musical reviews. I would not recommend the comedians. Even though the shows were the early "family" shows, I found some of the material to be questionable for him. I think he had a much better time in Adventure Ocean than listening to the comedians.

The only shows that children aren't allowed at are the late night shows, the comedians, and Love and Marriage. And please don't let them sit in the first couple of rows.

If you are on a Voyager class ship, definitely don't let them miss the Ice Show as it is awesome.

The only shows that children aren't allowed at are the late night shows, the comedians, and Love and Marriage. And please don't let them sit in the first couple of rows.

If you are on a Voyager class ship, definitely don't let them miss the Ice Show as it is awesome.

.....And Quest. No kids allowed at Quest.

(Disclaimer.....Yes..I know Quest is a game, not a show....but so is Love & Marriage Game. ;) )

Most of the shows are G or PG rated. If not - there will be a notation in the compass. I recall seeing something like “late night adult comic”. That listing alone should let you know the content. Even the late nigh comics are not as “bad” as what you see at a local comedy club.

The Sovereign had dueling pianos two evenings. The compass stated something about this activity being recommended for adults over 18. A few folks had their kids (some small and some pre-teens) and right up front. I believe the performers were intimated by this. Dueling pianos can get raunchy!

I have brought my 8yo to a couple of the shows that I thought he would like and he seemed to enjoy them. The comedians are usually boring for him because he just doesn't get the punchlines, but the last show we saw was the Beatle Maniacs on the Voyager and he enjoyed it so much that he wanted to go again to the second show.

As for kids in the theatre, the official policy is that kids are not permitted in the first three rows. I have never been to a show that did not have kids in the first row and I go to the show ever night. For that matter, there was a family with a baby stroller in the first row for one of the shows on my last cruise. I do not understand why RCI make the rule, publishs it in the Compass, then does not enforce it. What's the point?

Beth,

Your grandaughter sounds so sweet and polite. Let's keep her away from my monsters! (how come one on one they are so wonderful but in a pack of their brothers they are little creeps?)

Yes they are good girls Nancy. But not to worry, they won't be coming along next month. Your boys are safe. :D Our cruise last March was special, just them with Grandpa and Grandma. And let me tell you, after 7 days Grandma was exhausted! :o

Beth

Yes they are good girls Nancy. But not to worry, they won't be coming along next month. Your boys are safe. :D Our cruise last March was special, just them with Grandpa and Grandma. And let me tell you, after 7 days Grandma was exhausted! :o

Beth

I would hate for the monsters to corrupt them! :D

Actually my boys are pretty good. I need to learn to relax and let them be kids and not be paranoid about who they are bothering cause most of them time they aren't bothering anyone but me.

official policy is that kids are not permitted in the first three rows.
The Compass in 2003 said unaccompanied kids under 18 are not allowed in the first 5 rows. The Cruise News Useful Information earlier this year requested "that all children sit with their parents".

Archived