Seven Mile Bridge

curious_st

Is there a reasonable way to see Seven Mile Bridge during a cruise stop? I have read about the possible traffic jams when driving. Are there any tours by bus, helicopter, boat, etc that at least offer views of this engineering feat?

The only reasonable way you could do this is rent a car. It's a 40 mile drive on a mostly 45 mph road that will take you at least an hour to get to. Just getting out of Key West is 10-15 minutes. There are no tours out of KW that take cruise passengers that far up the Keys.

It really is a pretty drive and there are many local sight seeing opportunities along the way that are completely void of tourists. Problem is, you take a big risk doing this. A crash on US1 can close the road for hours. There are no detours unless your car can float. For that reason, I don't recommend doing it.

• 2 months later...

7-Mile bridge is amazing but the only way to do it is by renting a car. A simple fender-bender can tie the bridge up for HOURS. IMO it would be a big risk. You could easily be on one side of that bridge as your ship sails without you.

Taking a taxi is a ridiculous suggestion. Have you ever even done the drive?

Follow the advise of the other posters and forget this idea unless you want to risk missing your ship's departure. Save it for an overnight return trip with a rental car.

Edited by keywester33

• 2 weeks later...

It's about an hour drive, and just the round trip over the bridge is 1/2 hour. The big problem is that even the slightest traffic blip or accident can dramatically slow or even close the road, and then all bets are off. While parts of the road are two lanes in each direction, much of the Overseas Highway is one lane each way, with not too many places to pass. (With family having lived in Key West for many years, I've made the drive from Ft. Lauderdale dozens of times.)

• 3 months later...
We wanted to see the Key Deer Sanctuary on the Key West side of the Bridge. Is that as risky a drive to make as crossing the bridge?

Sorta. It's a 30 mile drive to Big Pine Key, and then another few miles to get back to where all the Key Deer are.

We wanted to see the Key Deer Sanctuary on the Key West side of the Bridge. Is that as risky a drive to make as crossing the bridge?

Not "as risky". But as noted above, 30 miles away and you'd still drive across several bridges that could be closed if you were unlucky and an accident occurred to shut one down.

My suggestion is to follow our example and spend a few extra days (pre or post cruise) in Florida where you can rent a car at MIA or FLL and drive down to the Keys for a few days. That way you get to experience 7 mile bridge and wonderful route two times! And Key West is certainly worthy of a few days.

Hank

My suggestion is to follow our example and spend a few extra days (pre or post cruise) in Florida where you can rent a car at MIA or FLL and drive down to the Keys for a few days. That way you get to experience 7 mile bridge and wonderful route two times! And Key West is certainly worthy of a few days.

Hank

I agree with Hank.

And what everyone else said about not taking the chance of an accident tying up the bridge.

Sorta. It's a 30 mile drive to Big Pine Key, and then another few miles to get back to where all the Key Deer are.

Plus there is no guarantee you will see any Key Deer or perhaps see only a few. Sometimes we see them right out beside Highway 1 and sometimes we see them along a side road that goes back to another island and sometimes we don't see any at all. It is a matter of luck.