USA Today article on new food policy - post your comments there!

TrinaLC

Quote:

much to my dismay ncl (at least on the gem) has instituted a new kids camp policy that now only lets 76 kids attend camp (of all ages, with a separate minimum for 13+)

We are onboard right now with two 4 yr olds, a 7 and a 10 year old.

This new system is beyond terrible and now having me reconsider sailing with ncl anymore. We booked this family cruise so not only the kids could have fun, but so could the adults. And now this new system is terrible

The new policy is there are 3 camp shifts 9-12, 2-5, 7-10 (this part may have been the same as before). you now need to line up at least 30 min prior and they hand out camp tickets. If you do not at have a ticket between 1-76 you get put on a wait list and they will call you if someone leaves and a spot frees up. (End of quote)

Is this just a coincidence or is it planned that this change falls into the same time frame as the "kids sail free" promotion that got lots of families to book based on the idea of a family vacation whereby the kids and parents both would enjoy their cruise ??

Edited by swedish weave

Someone posted that the 18% was only if you ordered drinks. That's what they were charged anyway on the Getaway I believe. Is that incorrect?
No, it is not incorrect. On the bottom of the room service menu it states that an 18 percent gratuity will be added to non-complimentary drinks orders and special occasion orders. No one has reported that they are charged 18 percent gratuity on the $7.95 service charge.

I just booked my first Norweigan cruise and was wondering if people as rude on the ships as they are on here.

Everybody we've met on our cruises have been extremely nice. We still stay in touch with several from our roll call from our last cruise. Even plan on flying out to California to pay a couple of them a visit next year.

Enjoy your cruise!

I see this as affecting their passengers who typically book the more expensive cabins - balcony and suite cruisers. I wouldn't think those in inside cabins would want to eat in their rooms. What a disappointment.

Edit to add: Never mind. Room Service is free for suite passengers. This only affects balcony passengers, really.

What's going to happen is people are either going to deal with it or change to another cruise line. if enough people change prices will go down and the Ncl loyalists will win

What's going to happen is people are either going to deal with it or change to another cruise line. if enough people change prices will go down and the Ncl loyalists will win

Don't get your hopes up too much for rates to drop. I don't have all the figures, but the financing on the final two Breakaway ships will require NCL to pay 75 million Euros every six months to the financiers. I don't think they will be able to afford to drop rates too much and still fulfill their payment obligations.

Edited by swedish weave

Just returned from the Breakaway. As for taking food from the buffet to your cabin.....it was being done everyday by people. I did it everyday myself. Not a word was said to me. I left my dirty dishes in the cabin (I hate when people put it in the hallway).

Don't get your hopes up too much for rates to drop. I don't have all the figures, but the financing on the final two Breakaway ships will require NCL to pay 75 million Euros every six months to the financiers. I don't think they will be able to afford to drop rates too much and still fulfill their payment obligations.

That's okay I can cruise the sky more often lol

Actually if you pick up a snack at the buffet, you can take it back to your cabin and, also, no one has been stopped from taking full meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner) back either. So you really don't have to pay for your snack or breakfast. I understand that some don't want to pick up their own meal/snack and bring it back and if that is a deal breaker for you, it is understandable, but at least there are still options.

That is good to know if NCL has already altered their policy regarding "no bringing food back to cabin" (plated ect). I do hope they have waived that policy. That may work in some instances. In others, it will not solve the room service fee issue. That is unfortunate.

It may not bother some people, but it will really bother others.

Everyone will decide how it does or does not impact them how they will factor into their decision when booking future cruises and it's for everyone to decide for themselves.

For us personally, complimentary room service is one of the nicer perks of cruising vs a land vacation.

There is often a 45 minute wait or more for the main dining rooms...sometimes we'd rather wait in our room for room service....I dont' know, "free style" is becoming less free in my opinion...lol....kinda cramping our style....we may pay a neighbor kid to make buffet runs for us for $5...hahha

Just returned from the Breakaway. As for taking food from the buffet to your cabin.....it was being done everyday by people. I did it everyday myself. Not a word was said to me. I left my dirty dishes in the cabin (I hate when people put it in the hallway).

Thank you so much for letting us know!

Thanks for reporting back!

Logic and experience does not seem to work on this thread. Posters are bound and determined to blame FDR for this (and I'm sure he can take the heat - especially when it is not true). He does not have a knee jerk reaction to anything (based on years of seeing changes that actually came from him). Sorry - not venting to you - just venting in general.:o

I'm sorry, but just have to ask; In light of the recent statement from Mr Stuart of how the events played out, do you still stand by your statement on Mr. Del Rio's leadership style? Just asking as I recall many post where you were quite insistent that he had absolutely no hand in the decisions being made in NCL policies.

As customers we have the ability to cruise or not cruise on any line that we either don't care for their service or policy when it comes to food and beverage. I am sure NCL will take a loss with some passengers who do not care for the changes taking place. Some people never order room service so this would be a non issue. I have been on other lines that have started charging for items on their room service menu and the free items are very limited. I do believe this is a trend we will see on more and more main stream lines. At some point some dishes in the main dining room will carry a surcharge. As the lines try and keep the fares low they try and make up the difference in charging extra for food and services that use to be free, just like the airlines have been doing. I am not saying I like these new changes that are starting to take place. I am more or less on the lookout to compare the lines and the bang I might be getting for my buck overall. It may just turn out that taking a cruise will no longer be a price performer compared to a land vacation. It this turns out to be the case then the cruise industry could end up becoming a dinosaur in a few more years.

I don't believe the cruiselines are creating more onboard charges to keep fares low. Fares are low because they flooded the market with these mega size ships. Instead of following the airlines' example, they should follow what Disney is doing right which is offering a superior and unique product and limited numbers of berths for sale. Onboard charges have no effect on base fares other than creating less demand because the product is being diluted by being less inclusive.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't go on a cruise to get a land experience. I prefer cruises because I don't have to worry about extra expenses or have to make decisions on what to spend on in addition to my base fare. Cruiselines need to walk a fine line between generating extra revenue and alienating the uniqueness of cruising which is what creates demand for cruises. I hope cruises don't go to all a la carte. Extra revenue is achieved when demand exceeds supply and demand is achieved by offering a superior product, not by watering it down.