USA Today article on new food policy - post your comments there!

TrinaLC

Many of you can't remember the days when there were no buffets on ships period or very small ones. And no one would have thought about bringing a plate of food back to thier cabin.

Old time cruisers must have been mortified when they saw them buffets on board for the first time. Probably compared them to going to a scaled down Golden Corral. Now if they were to do away with them it would be seen as everything to do with ruining the cruise experience and trying to make a buck.

The way I see it, there are a lot of cruiselines out there. I have sailed quite a few of them. If you don't like what NCL has to offer or the way they do business, there is nothing stopping you from going somewhere else.

Usually these types of rules are there to deal with the extreme cases otherwise the crew will likely look the other way.

Same thing with things like dress codes. There is an something that is ok, there is a grey area and then there are some things that are not appropriate. In a custom service focused business the staff will look the other way for a good portion of that grey area.

Personally, be it hotels or cruise ships the idea of leaving your dirty dishes on the floor in the hallway for other guests to walk around I personally find disrespectful. In the tight hallways that exist on a ship it is also a tripping hazard during an emergency. Why people don't leave there dishes on the table or counter in there state rooms is beyond me.

Edited by em-sk

Okay! Let's say it is all about money. If you ran NCL wouldm't you want to make profits? I cruise in 2015 in a suite for the 2004 price of a balcony. I don't care what the explanation may be, the overall steady cruise price, choice in resturants, and number of things to do onboard ship are far more numerous than in years past.

If I ran NCL I would want to make sure my customers are happy, if people want to eat in their room then that is their business. These new policies are about GREED!

Edited by knight2096

Sailed NCL for 14 years & quite a # of ships, some of the oldest one - designed, keywords is "designed" - with wide hallways & corridors, and health & safety was NOT a problem the whole time. The pom poms seldom, if ever, wrote about overflow (except sewage & blocked plumbings) and dirty/cluttered hallways and all cheers - now, all of a sudden, claims of blockage - which, if I were to believe, has been a serious, major risk management problem - that, if proven true & valid as claims, been IGNORED by NCL administration over the years - regardless of who was running or in charge, and the ship's chains of commands. Of course, COO Andy Stuart has been running passenger services for most, if not much of his career at NCL as a veteran of the fleets - so he should be held negligent and/or for failure to execute his duties then ??

I've challenged anyone to come with some historical archieved (dated) pictures of NCL ships with such alleged problems of plates in the hallways, stairs & elevators (and, even - pool sides) - as those are usually prompted picked up and removed by crew members coming thru at all hours. Show us a little "convincing" proof - (click here to view) here's one such obstacles, except it wasn't created by passengers & was left in the narrow Breakaway hallway, Deck 10 FWD starboard side ... yes, those of you/us with accessible needs might have a problem coming thru. Go tell NCL whose fault it is & bring the pom poms.

The biggest problem many of us have with all the changes, valid as it might be otherwise, is the management's lack of and poor, non-existent communications to its customers. Again, my BIL/SIL and a pretty sizable group of seniors are leaving for the Pearl in 3 days - none of them read CC and are "sheepies" in steerage, as of this moment - received zero, as in "no" communications whatsoever about the new policies, already "tested" and said by NCL's higher ups. There are plenty of cruiselines eager for everyone to spend discretionary vacation dollars with them instead - we will pick ours accordingly, and, our standards for business ethics and expectations are far higher than what NCL has earned previously but managed to shattered in the last 3 months.

These hasn't really gone viral yet - it's just the beginning, just wait and see - I can agree on that.

BRAVO! Great post with great points!

Okay! Let's say it is all about money. If you ran NCL wouldm't you want to make profits? I cruise in 2015 in a suite for the 2004 price of a balcony. I don't care what the explanation may be, the overall steady cruise price, choice in resturants, and number of things to do onboard ship are far more numerous than in years past.
What is so amazing is that folks have no issues with other companies making policies that make them money, but when they think NCL does it, it is the end of the world.

What is so amazing is that folks have no issues with other companies making policies that make them money, but when they think NCL does it, it is the end of the world.

Have you ever noticed that this is the NCL forum on Cruise Critic? It's hardly surprising that folks here are focused on the antics of NCL's executive suite. Indeed, discussions of the foibles of other businesses or industries would seem to be wildly off-topic.

But if you're willing to go first, feel free to cough up some complaints about other corporations and we'll see if we can follow suit.

Nothing wrong with changing the rules but not on my current booked cruise. Later fine -- I won't ever book with them.

Say you buy a house and sign a contract. Then you go to closing and the seller says sorry but I want another $7.95 per day you live in that house. Further while you live in that house you cannot take food into the living room to eat because it might be unhealthy and look bad. Sound familiar -- no different...

Edited by PaulMCO

Nothing wrong with changing the rules but not on my current booked cruise. Later fine -- I won't ever book with them.

Say you buy a house and sign a contract. Then you go to closing and the seller says sorry but I want another $7.95 per day you live in that house. Further while you live in that house you cannot take food into the living room to eat because it might be unhealthy and look bad. Sound familiar -- no different...

I agree. Put a deposit down on a property a few years back when we went to sign the contract. He put it up another 10 grand. I immediately pulled out. Didn't trust that guy at all after that. Even if it was still a good deal I wasn't interested. I just think it's dodgy practice. I feel the same with Fidal Del Rio. Dodgy and lacks integrity!!!!!

The big difference in your house example and the room service fee, is that when you purchase a house, your contract spells out everything, so they could not legally do either thing nor could they change the agreed upon price or charge you for extras once the contract is signed. But with cruising, the contract only states that they have to give you transportation and normal vessel food. It doesn't say that you have to get free room service, it doesn't say that you have to get free entertainment, it doesn't even say that they have to give you free towels, etc. I understand that people that use room service are upset and if I ran the company, I would have given 90 days notice, but since I don't, NCL did it their way and be upset about how they did it, no why they did it. Edited by NLH Arizona

Many hotels charge extra fees as their money grab: from parking fees, valet fees, mandatory resort fees, internet fees, etc.

But not one of the hotels that charge these fees hide the fact from the person booking the reservation. Every hotel that has extra fees discloses that at the time of booking and it is clearly spelled out in the website, and up to date.

But no, not NCL, did you find anything on their website that tells you clearly? All I found is under the "accommodations" page: "order from our full menu day or night and have it delivered to your bedside." I failed to find the information about a fee. Is it buried somewhere else?

This is from a "search" done on the NCL website:

About US

Why choose Norwegian Cruise Line over other cruise lines for your meetings, incentives and corporate events?

Only Norwegian Cruise Line offers the freedom and flexibility of Freestyle Cruising®. Plus, our award-winning fleet has the most innovative accommodations and amenities at sea.

•Only Norwegian offers guests the freedom to set their own pace. So along with working hard, they can play hard too.

•Only Norwegian offers inter-island cruises in Hawai'i.

•Depending on the ship, you will have more than 20 different dining options to choose from as well as complimentary 24-hour room service and superb event catering.

And this is from the deck plan sheet for the Getaway:

26 dining options, 22 bars & lounges,

24-hour room service, Tradewinds

Tax- & Duty-Free shops, Spa & Salon,

Fitness Center, Aqua Park, Three-

Story Sports Complex, Internet Café,

Entourage Teen Lounge, Splash

When a hotel informs us of their add-on fees in advance, we can either choose them as our hotel or walk on by and choose another. NCL doesn't give its customers that info in advance of booking.

Many hotels charge extra fees as their money grab: from parking fees, valet fees, mandatory resort fees, internet fees, etc.

But not one of the hotels that charge these fees hide the fact from the person booking the reservation. Every hotel that has extra fees discloses that at the time of booking and it is clearly spelled out in the website, and up to date.

But no, not NCL, did you find anything on their website that tells you clearly? All I found is under the "accommodations" page: "order from our full menu day or night and have it delivered to your bedside." I failed to find the information about a fee. Is it buried somewhere else?

From NCL's website:

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

What does my cruise fare include?

Accommodations

Transportation to some of the most beautiful places on earth via cruise ship

Dedicated Kids & Teen (ages 3-17) programming & spaces during at sea days until 10:30 pm and from departure until 10:30 pm during port days

Meals in the complimentary dining venues, i.e.:

Two main dining rooms on every ship except Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway which have three

Buffet

24-hour Dining venue (on select ships)

Room service menu items (convenience charge may apply)

Outdoor Buffet (on select ships)

Pool Bar and Grill (on select ships)

Coffee Bar (regular coffee and pastries included, specialty coffees at nominal extra charge)

Iced Tea, some juices in the buffet (for breakfast), regular coffee, tea and ice water

All entertainment onboard (with the exception of dinner theater entertainment & character breakfast)

Art Auctions

Poolside activities

Access to fitness facilities

Select onboard presentations

Sports Court activities

Use of outdoor pools and hot tubs

In-stateroom TV programming (except for on-demand movies)

Phone calls onboard the ship (stateroom to stateroom)

Use of private Studio Lounge if staying in Studio accommodations on Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Pride of America, Norwegian Getaway and coming soon, Norwegian Escape

Suite Guests receive additional amenities, based on the category of accommodation

Pick a ship, Gem, under dining: http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/Dining

Under What's On Board

Complimentary Dining

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day (subject to convenience charge).

Same place on the Jewell:

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day (subject to convenience charge)

Edited by NLH Arizona

From NCL's website:

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

So then the other ships, don't have the fee?

What does my cruise fare include?

Accommodations

Transportation to some of the most beautiful places on earth via cruise ship

Dedicated Kids & Teen (ages 3-17) programming & spaces during at sea days until 10:30 pm and from departure until 10:30 pm during port days

Meals in the complimentary dining venues, i.e.:

Two main dining rooms on every ship except Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway which have three

Buffet

24-hour Dining venue (on select ships)

Room service menu items (convenience charge may apply)

Outdoor Buffet (on select ships)

Pool Bar and Grill (on select ships)

Coffee Bar (regular coffee and pastries included, specialty coffees at nominal extra charge)

Iced Tea, some juices in the buffet (for breakfast), regular coffee, tea and ice water

All entertainment onboard (with the exception of dinner theater entertainment & character breakfast)

Art Auctions

Poolside activities

Access to fitness facilities

Select onboard presentations

Sports Court activities

Use of outdoor pools and hot tubs

In-stateroom TV programming (except for on-demand movies)

Phone calls onboard the ship (stateroom to stateroom)

Use of private Studio Lounge if staying in Studio accommodations on Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Pride of America, Norwegian Getaway and coming soon, Norwegian Escape

Suite Guests receive additional amenities, based on the category of accommodation

And the charge is clearly quoted here?

Originally Posted by NLH Arizona View Post

``What is so amazing is that folks have no issues with other companies making policies that make them money, but when they think NCL does it, it is the end of the world.``

I have to disagree with you NHL Arizona. Princess tried to impose a room service fee and when their current customers were not pleased and put up a bit of an uproar, the cruiseline rescinded their unpopular policy. I can see there are a few who just love it, but clearly most cruisers are not happy with the new charges for room service or the restrictions on bringing food from onboard restaurants. I can`t imagine that this ongoing discussion is good PR for Norwegian. As for how Norwegian or any cruiseline increases their revenue, as a client that isn`t my concern. If they were smart they would find a way without pissing so many people off (pardon my English :-)!

Originally Posted by NLH Arizona View Post

``What is so amazing is that folks have no issues with other companies making policies that make them money, but when they think NCL does it, it is the end of the world.``

I have to disagree with you NHL Arizona. Princess tried to impose a room service fee and when their current customers were not pleased and put up a bit of an uproar, the cruiseline rescinded their unpopular policy. I can see there are a few who just love it, but clearly most cruisers are not happy with the new charges for room service or the restrictions on bringing food from onboard restaurants. I can`t imagine that this ongoing discussion is good PR for Norwegian. As for how Norwegian or any cruiseline increases their revenue, as a client that isn`t my concern. If they were smart they would find a way without pissing so many people off (pardon my English :-)!

What does my comment about Princess have to do with your comment. People do have issues with NCL making money. We have heard money grab, greedy all over the threads about the issue.

I have no issue if NCL rescinded their policy or if they keep it, I just understand business and to stay in business a company has to from time to time raise prices, just as their vendors raise prices on the items they purchase and services they use.

What would you suggest that they raise prices on without ticking off their customers?

Edited by NLH Arizona

I would like to chime in. We have cruised for 40 years,and 8 NCL cruises in the past two years. I always have brought food back for my sleeping bride. But never heaping. ( not sure what that really means), Putting out the room card, for some reason, I never have the right time down. Either I am sleeping or waiting. Yes, I have brought mounds of chicken wings back to the cabin. But I never have put anything plates outside the door. The room stewards have alway told us not to. So, yes, this new policy impacts us and our coming 11 day Sun Cruise. We pay much less for our balcony cabin than we did years ago. I do bring my own booze on board, but still spend 100's on drinks in all venues. We do go to the pay restaurants each and every night. I just add that costs to my cruise, and its still cheaper now than before. In my opinion, the new policy was done to discourage the hundreds of room service orders for just a pot of coffee,a cookie or a banana. People have complained on how long it takes to get room service, well, bingo, this fixes that problem. I would rather pay the $ 7.95 for a REAL and expanded room service, than wait an hour for a free cold sandwich. Will this make them more money, Of course. This is as much about expanding the menu, REAL choices, and eliminates waste. For me, it is a win win. Time will tell. We have only read one post from someone who actually cruised while this was changed. I will await more posts from cruisers that have just got back and not speculate.

I doubt they'll enforce it, just like they don't enforce the no smoking on balcony rule.

We were on the Sun back in March. The guy next to us smoked so much we couldn't have our balcony door open, let alone sit outside. We brought it to the attention of our cabin steward, security & guest services & they did nothing. In fact, they cleaned his ashtray.

If NCL isn't going to enforce their no smoking policy, how are they going to tell me not to bring dessert home from the buffet?

On our recent Jewel cruise the smoking stopped the day I turned him in. Some ships DO follow policy!

i will say, the timing of charging for room service and not being allowed to take food plates back to your room is not good, or at least to me, makes it look like they are trying to bolster room service charges. Although they are nominal. However, whoever is running their marketing department may want to rethink some of these policy rollouts or at least space them out a bit.

From USAToday article

The new policy comes the same month that Norwegian has implemented an extra charge for room service for all items except for morning coffee and Continental breakfast. Room service long had been free at the line, except late at night.

no longer free style. Its now rule style. I go have breakfast at the buffet. My wife likes breakfast in bed. What I would do in the past is bring her back a plate with eggs bacon and toast. Now I have to order it and be there.

I just did that almost every day for 29 days on a cruise ended 5/18/15 and no one said a word about it. A few times I asked for a tray and loaded it with fruit, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, tea, toast, sticky buns. The crew was very helpful.

This has maybe already been covered . Say one was to buy food in a port, are they going to take it off me when I am boarding the ship?

I could be wrong but I don't think you were ever allowed to bring food back to the ship unless it's in a sealed package.

Actually, I do think that food safety IS an issue with food places such as the Sushi bar and the Raw Bar onboard. Those food items must be eaten within 24 hours of preparation IF they are kept refrigerated at the right temperature. Outside of the refrigerator, they should be consumed usually within an hour at most. But from what I understand about the drink refrigerators in the cabin, they might not be cold enough to even store sushi for 24 hours. What if someone took sushi or raw fish to their cabin and didn't refrigerate it or put it out on their balcony and ate it over 1 hour after getting it? What if they put it in the refrigerator but didn't eat it for several days? They would get extremely sick with food poisoning in both cases. So, I'm not really doubting that NCL DOES have concern about food safety.

Oh, puleez...no one is keeping sushi for hours and hours...and if they do...that's THEIR problem...idiots!

It's a money thing....that's all, pure and simple.

Who would be silly enough to leave sushi or raw fish around in a warm cabin? I'm sure most people are aware of what foods spoil and what foods don't-and if they don't I'm sure it would be a valuable learning experience for them, well needed!!!