USA Today article on new food policy - post your comments there!

TrinaLC

Very interesting information. I certainly believe you as I cannot imagine the new CEO coming up with this idea. However, it makes sense that the current president would follow through with what the old CEO was planning. Puts a different spin on the whole subject. However, I have no doubt that many will not believe you :rolleyes: Thank you posting -- it makes a lot of sense.

Here's one.

This policy was not planned by anyone. It is an obvious knee-jerk reaction to guest's avoiding the new $8 room service charge by increasing take-away from the buffet. If it had been planned, there would be a coherent policy, in writing, and staff trained in how to enforce it. Here we are nearly a month into implementation and there is still no written policy, no notice being given on the ships, and no enforcement. Except for the few CC members who have read about it here and a few people who might have seen the article in USA today, it doesn't exist.

No, it wasn't planned by KS. It wasn't planned period.

Hi Trina,

Your very own Cruise Critic broke the story a full week before USA Today :) Please feel free to support the site by commenting on our news story as well. Thank you for being such active members!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6346

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Yes, y'all did, but commenting on a USA today post has (cough) slightly higher visability!

Of course we can all mention CC in our USA today posts!

Here's one.

This policy was not planned by anyone. It is an obvious knee-jerk reaction to guest's avoiding the new $8 room service charge by increasing take-away from the buffet. If it had been planned, there would be a coherent policy, in writing, and staff trained in how to enforce it. Here we are nearly a month into implementation and there is still no written policy, no notice being given on the ships, and no enforcement. Except for the few CC members who have read about it here and a few people who might have seen the article in USA today, it doesn't exist.

No, it wasn't planned by KS. It wasn't planned period.

Well, nice attempt to discredit me. However, in the corporate world that obviously you are not a part of. When you deal with a publicly traded company. EVERY SINGLE CHANGE TAKES WEEKS IF NOT MONTHS. The COC (chain of custody) had to go through meeting after meeting. Think tanks, VP's, EVP's, Directors then, legal has to review and use very specific verbiage. And this is for every single change that makes any change to contract language. Also, making policy official in some states. And since NCL HQ is domiciled in Fla. they have 60 days to have this change made permanently by including a contractual change in printable form.

If you like PM me and I will discuss this in greater depth with you.

Thank you.

Well, nice attempt to discredit me. However, in the corporate world that obviously you are not a part of. When you deal with a publicly traded company. EVERY SINGLE CHANGE TAKES WEEKS IF NOT MONTHS. The COC (chain of custody) had to go through meeting after meeting. Think tanks, VP's, EVP's, Directors then, legal has to review and use very specific verbiage. And this is for every single change that makes any change to contract language. Also, making policy official in some states. And since NCL HQ is domiciled in Fla. they have 60 days to have this change made permanently by including a contractual change in printable form.

Thank you.

You're right, I'm not a part of the corporate world now. But I was, for many years. In a multi-billion $ public company. In a consumer-oriented business (but one producing and selling products, not hospitality). I and my teams developed and implemented many changes in policy and practices that affected our customers and I am very familiar with levels of review as well as cross-functional review including legal. I am also aware that before you execute an agreed upon plan, you develop an implementation strategy including among many other things supporting printed materials, a training plan for those involved in implementation, and review of any changes needed in outward-facing electronic communications affected by the change.

There is ample evidence that NCL did none of this. Even today, the website still prominently displays room service as one of the complimentary dining options and it is not. Even today, the FAQ on room service charges says it is a test on two ships only. As of this week's sailings there still is no information available to passengers telling them they cannot take food to their cabins from the buffet, something the CEO's office and Public Relations have told news organizations and individuals who ask has already been implemented and is enforced on the ships.

No, this new policy on no take-out from the buffet to the cabins was not planned. At least not properly. It was a hasty decision in reaction to an unexpected reaction to the room service charge. That one may have been planned, but not the no-take out rule. It was part of an all hands on deck scramble to throw together anything they could think of to meet FDR's edict to raise per-passenger spending by $50-$60 PP and do it immediately. Take-out was jeopardizing the expected new revenue from room service, and rather than rethinking the room service charge in light of guest negative reaction, they decided to try to force people to pay for it to make the numbers they had promised the boss.

And actually, these changes do not require NCL to make any change to the contract. The contract already covers them. So no notice to any governmental or regulatory body is required. These are minor operating procedure changes and they are well within their legal rights to impose them. Someone might quibble about the fact that room service is advertised as complimentary when it is not. And someone might quibble that when the room service menu says that orders that include a non-complimentary beverage are exempt from the $7.95 convenience fee but they charge it anyway that is unfair (actually I do quibble about that one, and I think they would lose a credit card dispute over it). But they are minor policy matters and would never rise to the level of a legal challenge.

So no thanks, I don't need any schooling on corporate change processes. And I'm pretty sure my instincts are right about the hasty, poorly thought out implementation of these changes - without proper planning.

Thank you.

Logic and experience does not seem to work on this thread. Posters are bound and determined to blame FDR for this (and I'm sure he can take the heat - especially when it is not true). He does not have a knee jerk reaction to anything (based on years of seeing changes that actually came from him). Sorry - not venting to you - just venting in general.:o

I doubt they'll enforce it, just like they don't enforce the no smoking on balcony rule.

We were on the Sun back in March. The guy next to us smoked so much we couldn't have our balcony door open, let alone sit outside. We brought it to the attention of our cabin steward, security & guest services & they did nothing. In fact, they cleaned his ashtray.

If NCL isn't going to enforce their no smoking policy, how are they going to tell me not to bring dessert home from the buffet?

I'm very disappointed about this. When we first started cruising, only about nine years ago, I did a lot of research and chose NCL mainly because of the dining options.

We book balcony cabins, mini-suites or suites -- always something with a balcony. We usually eat at least half of our meals in the cabin or on our balcony and get the meals from the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants.

Even when we eat dinner in the buffet or a specialty restaurant we generally bring a dessert or snack back to the cabin.

We're platinum now and I hate to give up NCL but I don't think I can live with the new rule. I'm not disabled but I'm getting up there in years and cruising is a relaxing way for me to vacation. I know a lot of people would think it wasteful to go on a cruise and hang around a cabin and balcony most of the time, but it suits me.

Most of our cruises have been on NCL but we've also taken and enjoyed several cruises with Royal Caribbean. If they don't copy this new policy I think we'll be switching over to them for all our future cruises.

ETA: I realize that bringing food back to the room makes more work for the stewards; we do tip well for it.

Edited by shoreless

You're right, I'm not a part of the corporate world now. But I was, for many years. In a multi-billion $ public company. In a consumer-oriented business (but one producing and selling products, not hospitality). I and my teams developed and implemented many changes in policy and practices that affected our customers and I am very familiar with levels of review as well as cross-functional review including legal. I am also aware that before you execute an agreed upon plan, you develop an implementation strategy including among many other things supporting printed materials, a training plan for those involved in implementation, and review of any changes needed in outward-facing electronic communications affected by the change.

There is ample evidence that NCL did none of this. Even today, the website still prominently displays room service as one of the complimentary dining options and it is not. Even today, the FAQ on room service charges says it is a test on two ships only. As of this week's sailings there still is no information available to passengers telling them they cannot take food to their cabins from the buffet, something the CEO's office and Public Relations have told news organizations and individuals who ask has already been implemented and is enforced on the ships.

No, this new policy on no take-out from the buffet to the cabins was not planned. At least not properly. It was a hasty decision in reaction to an unexpected reaction to the room service charge. That one may have been planned, but not the no-take out rule. It was part of an all hands on deck scramble to throw together anything they could think of to meet FDR's edict to raise per-passenger spending by $50-$60 PP and do it immediately. Take-out was jeopardizing the expected new revenue from room service, and rather than rethinking the room service charge in light of guest negative reaction, they decided to try to force people to pay for it to make the numbers they had promised the boss.

And actually, these changes do not require NCL to make any change to the contract. The contract already covers them. So no notice to any governmental or regulatory body is required. These are minor operating procedure changes and they are well within their legal rights to impose them. Someone might quibble about the fact that room service is advertised as complimentary when it is not. And someone might quibble that when the room service menu says that orders that include a non-complimentary beverage are exempt from the $7.95 convenience fee but they charge it anyway that is unfair (actually I do quibble about that one, and I think they would lose a credit card dispute over it). But they are minor policy matters and would never rise to the level of a legal challenge.

So no thanks, I don't need any schooling on corporate change processes. And I'm pretty sure my instincts are right about the hasty, poorly thought out implementation of these changes - without proper planning.

I'm not in the publicly traded corporate world either, because our firm is private. But I've dealt with senior managements of those firms for nearly 30 years. From the few posts that I have read of yours I can second your opinion that you don't need any schooling on the corporate change process. And I can't say that about some other posters here on CC.;)

I have to admit I haven't read a cruise contract recently (my insomnia is under control these days) but I can't imagine that any cruise line would actually have that level of minutia in their cruise contracts so that they would actually have to change the contract for such a minor operational change as this.

If someone orders their dessert in the MDR or in a specialty restaurant and then leaves the restaurant with the dessert plate in hand, to bring back to their cabin, will they tear it out of their hands? If someone orders wings at O'Sheehan's and leaves the restaurant with the plate of wings in hand, will they tear it out of their hands? I'm just curious...we don't generally take good to go but one time on carnival I brought DH his dessert from the MDR because one of the boys fell asleep at the table and he brought him back to the cabin. It was right before ordering dessert so I brought it to him.

I think this is exactly what happened. Presumably the "tests" on BA/GA (which of course did NOT include any restrictions on take out, from restaurants or buffet) showed that a larger number of passengers than expected would opt for taking a five minute jaunt up to O'Sheehans or the buffet to get a HOT burger and fries than would wait half an hour or more for a luke-warm plate from room service.

At that point, as you suspect, they had to scramble to come up with a solution to the "herding cats" problem they had created. The fact that Del Rio still thought that he was charging passengers for room service toast and coffee in the morning, when the cruise line had taken the "convenience fee" away from continental breakfast items weeks earlier, is a sign of the "seat of their pants" flying that the suits in the executive suite are currently practicing.

Nobody really knows what to do.

Bravo, NCL! Great move.

Now, I will be able to enjoy my time by the pool, free from half-eaten hamburgers left to wither in the sun, ketchup and mustard stained napkins on top of deck chairs, dropped ice cream cones, crusty bacon bits on the ground and all other sorts of messes.

Listen, folks. If you liked taking food out of the buffet to enjoy elsewhere you should have not abused the privilege by living like slobs.

The rules have changed and if you have a hard time swallowing that (pun intended), look in the mirror. You brought change this upon yourself.

If you can't handle that, enjoy Carnival. I'm sure you will feel right at home.

They have buffets and food served at the pools, how will this prevent your concerns?

Logic and experience does not seem to work on this thread. Posters are bound and determined to blame FDR for this (and I'm sure he can take the heat - especially when it is not true). He does not have a knee jerk reaction to anything (based on years of seeing changes that actually came from him). Sorry - not venting to you - just venting in general.:o

No worries at all. We all have our own individual life experiences.

I can take a hit or to. I survived my ex wife's cooking. NOTHING CAN HURT ME NOW...

I 100% respect your POV. Seems that we can argue this for a lifetime.

Your sticking to your guns as I am. if we should ever find ourselves on an NCL cruise together, I will pick up your room service tab. Additional gratuity NOT INCLUDED.

I think this is exactly what happened. Presumably the "tests" on BA/GA (which of course did NOT include any restrictions on take out, from restaurants or buffet) showed that a larger number of passengers than expected would opt for taking a five minute jaunt up to O'Sheehans or the buffet to get a HOT burger and fries than would wait half an hour or more for a luke-warm plate from room service.

At that point, as you suspect, they had to scramble to come up with a solution to the "herding cats" problem they had created. The fact that Del Rio still thought that he was charging passengers for room service toast and coffee in the morning, when the cruise line had taken the "convenience fee" away from continental breakfast items weeks earlier, is a sign of the "seat of their pants" flying that the suits in the executive suite are currently practicing.

Nobody really knows what to do.

Exactly -- now that I cannot grab a quick piece/s of Pizza for lunch and take it back to my room - my butler is going to be a busy man on our next cruise especially with the family coming.

To the "O" cheerleaders commenting -- FDR is micro manager -- just look at his pride and joy (Marina/Riviera). To say that he was not involved in this decision is wishful thinking. The new management is in charge and are making changes and experimenting with future changes.

I may be in the minority..but....I hope they enforce this! Snack plates I dont have a problem with.. but have you ever gotten on a full elevator (lol..they are always full!) and had to stand next to someone with an overflowing plate.. its obnoxious!!

So....unless we agree with your logic, our logic doesn't count? Uh huh....

So....unless we agree with your logic, our logic doesn't count? Uh huh....
But isn't those on your side of the issue saying the same. If we don't agree with them, we are cheerleaders, stupid, sheep, liars, exaggerators, working for NCL, etc. It works both ways. I respect that your opinion or POV is different than mine and wouldn't tell you that you are wrong, but it doesn't seem that most on your side of the issue feel the same for us. People have different opinions, POVs, wants, needs, experiences, etc. Respect begets respect. Edited by NLH Arizona

I may be in the minority..but....I hope they enforce this! Snack plates I dont have a problem with.. but have you ever gotten on a full elevator (lol..they are always full!) and had to stand next to someone with an overflowing plate.. its obnoxious!!

No, I have not seen an overflowing plate or people spilling food all over. Is that normal for NCL? On every cruise I have been on I have brought food to my sleeping wife. Has never been an issue. I guess the keyword is overflowing. That can be a problem anywhere. Whether the food is "a snack" or "a meal" does not seem relevant.

I guess when a company has to go fishing for excuses all of a sudden everyone has noticed the problem that was never there.

No, I have not seen an overflowing plate or people spilling food all over. Is that normal for NCL? On every cruise I have been on I have brought food to my sleeping wife. Has never been an issue. I guess the keyword is overflowing. That can be a problem anywhere. Whether the food is "a snack" or "a meal" does not seem relevant.

I guess when a company has to go fishing for excuses all of a sudden everyone has noticed the problem that was never there.

Lucky for you for never having this happen. I agree if its overflowing..it doesnt matter if its a meal or snack... as for "all of a sudden" if that is directed towards me since you quoted me... I have in fact complained onboard about this in the past prior to the new rules. We had one cruise that was particularly bad for this... Hasnt stopped our fun or our wanting to cruise. Obviously my experience isnt everyones... just giving my personal opinion like everyone else.

Sailed NCL for 14 years & quite a # of ships, some of the oldest one - designed, keywords is "designed" - with wide hallways & corridors, and health & safety was NOT a problem the whole time. The pom poms seldom, if ever, wrote about overflow (except sewage & blocked plumbings) and dirty/cluttered hallways and all cheers - now, all of a sudden, claims of blockage - which, if I were to believe, has been a serious, major risk management problem - that, if proven true & valid as claims, been IGNORED by NCL administration over the years - regardless of who was running or in charge, and the ship's chains of commands. Of course, COO Andy Stuart has been running passenger services for most, if not much of his career at NCL as a veteran of the fleets - so he should be held negligent and/or for failure to execute his duties then ??

I've challenged anyone to come with some historical archieved (dated) pictures of NCL ships with such alleged problems of plates in the hallways, stairs & elevators (and, even - pool sides) - as those are usually prompted picked up and removed by crew members coming thru at all hours. Show us a little "convincing" proof - (click here to view) here's one such obstacles, except it wasn't created by passengers & was left in the narrow Breakaway hallway, Deck 10 FWD starboard side ... yes, those of you/us with accessible needs might have a problem coming thru. Go tell NCL whose fault it is & bring the pom poms.

The biggest problem many of us have with all the changes, valid as it might be otherwise, is the management's lack of and poor, non-existent communications to its customers. Again, my BIL/SIL and a pretty sizable group of seniors are leaving for the Pearl in 3 days - none of them read CC and are "sheepies" in steerage, as of this moment - received zero, as in "no" communications whatsoever about the new policies, already "tested" and said by NCL's higher ups. There are plenty of cruiselines eager for everyone to spend discretionary vacation dollars with them instead - we will pick ours accordingly, and, our standards for business ethics and expectations are far higher than what NCL has earned previously but managed to shattered in the last 3 months.

These hasn't really gone viral yet - it's just the beginning, just wait and see - I can agree on that.

Sailed NCL for 14 years & quite a # of ships, some of the oldest one - designed, keywords is "designed" - with wide hallways & corridors, and health & safety was NOT a problem the whole time. The pom poms seldom, if ever, wrote about overflow (except sewage & blocked plumbings) and dirty/cluttered hallways and all cheers - now, all of a sudden, claims of blockage - which, if I were to believe, has been a serious, major risk management problem - that, if proven true & valid as claims, been IGNORED by NCL administration over the years - regardless of who was running or in charge, and the ship's chains of commands. Of course, COO Andy Stuart has been running passenger services for most, if not much of his career at NCL as a veteran of the fleets - so he should be held negligent and/or for failure to execute his duties then ??

I've challenged anyone to come with some historical archieved (dated) pictures of NCL ships with such alleged problems of plates in the hallways, stairs & elevators (and, even - pool sides) - as those are usually prompted picked up and removed by crew members coming thru at all hours. Show us a little "convincing" proof - (click here to view) here's one such obstacles, except it wasn't created by passengers & was left in the narrow Breakaway hallway, Deck 10 FWD starboard side ... yes, those of you/us with accessible needs might have a problem coming thru. Go tell NCL whose fault it is & bring the pom poms.

The biggest problem many of us have with all the changes, valid as it might be otherwise, is the management's lack of and poor, non-existent communications to its customers. Again, my BIL/SIL and a pretty sizable group of seniors are leaving for the Pearl in 3 days - none of them read CC and are "sheepies" in steerage, as of this moment - received zero, as in "no" communications whatsoever about the new policies, already "tested" and said by NCL's higher ups. There are plenty of cruiselines eager for everyone to spend discretionary vacation dollars with them instead - we will pick ours accordingly, and, our standards for business ethics and expectations are far higher than what NCL has earned previously but managed to shattered in the last 3 months.

These hasn't really gone viral yet - it's just the beginning, just wait and see - I can agree on that.

I looked at the image you posted, and it's terrible that the crew would just leave that out in the hallway.

While I accept changes in cruising and changes in various businesses in general, even if I don't agree with the changes, what you said is absolutely correct...communication is the main issue here. We had absolutely no problem when we were notified via email this past winter, of the $0.95 per person per day DSC increase. For that, we were given the choice of pre-paying at the lower price before a certain time, and they gave us ample time to make a decision. Everything else seems to have been changed on the spot with no warning at all, even sometimes mid-sailing for some cruisers. This leaves us wondering if there will be any major changes while we are on our cruise. I just don't like to be blindsided, and I don't think anyone does.

Will we still have a great time on our cruise in July? Of course we will! We have never been on a bad cruise and I'm sure this upcoming Breakaway cruise will not be bad either. However, I've also never been one to be completely loyal to just one cruise line. We look at the ships, the destinations, and the price vs. the value of the overall product. This particular time, we were looking for a cruise that goes to Bermuda, and at least 7 nights. When we booked back in September, we priced 7-night Bermuda cruises that leave out of NY,NJ and Baltimore, as well as the 9-night on RCI that leaves out of Bayonne (Bermuda is one of the ports on that itinerary), so that meant pricing NCL, RCI, and Celebrity. The Breakaway is a ship all of us wanted to go on since we've heard great things about the ship itself (from people we know who have sailed on it) and the choices in entertainment and activities. And honestly, we would have been fine if the Breakaway was above our price range and we had to go with a different ship instead. As it turned out the Breakaway was the least amount of money out of all of them.

We cruise every other year, in July. Who knows what other changes will be in store for any of the cruise lines by 2017? Like I said, we're not tied to one particular cruise line so I have no problem going on a different line if I'm not satisfied with the product NCL offers at that time. And I have no problem cruising NCL again if what they offer at the time is to our liking and in our price range.

I have a few questions. First of all, for those of you complaining about dishes in the hallway, where are the dishes supposed to go? I will admit, I've never sailed NCL but on another cruise line, and the stewards on that line tell you to put the dishes in the hallway, the room service delivery people tell you to put them in the hallway, and also I've heard if you leave dishes in the room, the steward places them in the hallway because crew are regularly sent around to collect them.

My other question is what happens to someone who becomes ill during dinner? This happened to my husband, we ordered, he ate the appetizer and then he became sick and went back to the room while I stayed and finished my meal. Since it was the one and only lobster night on this cruise, I had his dinner packed and took it with me. Technically it was a full plate of food but we didn't know he was going to become sick and be unable to eat it when he ordered it so why shouldn't we get the food we paid for.

I have a few questions. First of all, for those of you complaining about dishes in the hallway, where are the dishes supposed to go? I will admit, I've never sailed NCL but on another cruise line, and the stewards on that line tell you to put the dishes in the hallway, the room service delivery people tell you to put them in the hallway, and also I've heard if you leave dishes in the room, the steward places them in the hallway because crew are regularly sent around to collect them.

My other question is what happens to someone who becomes ill during dinner? This happened to my husband, we ordered, he ate the appetizer and then he became sick and went back to the room while I stayed and finished my meal. Since it was the one and only lobster night on this cruise, I had his dinner packed and took it with me. Technically it was a full plate of food but we didn't know he was going to become sick and be unable to eat it when he ordered it so why shouldn't we get the food we paid for.

You are 100% correct -- eat it and goes into the hallway.

If sick order room service and pay the $7.95. It is all about the money -- plain and simple. Just closes the loophole with regards to avoiding the $7.95 charge.

I see arguments that it is not about the money. There is no logic to it. They first increase room service and people find away around it and then ban the action around the room service charge.

If they make O'Sheehan's ala carte -- that is because they are trying not to waste meat - because people order to much?? :confused:

Just to add my two cents worth...

The issue with NCL seems to be about disclosure, my favorite legal term.

If we are given full disclosure on new policies and fees, we are moving forward with an informed decision.

No one goes out to a restaurant and when presented with the check, finds that they were charged much more because menu items changed price during dinner service!

That said, the issue of removing food seems to have become a grey area. As long as things remain reasonable,it may just work out. We have always returned our dishes to buffet after we finish in cabin ( or our room steward takes them from us when he sees us with them).

One thing we have witnessed on the Pearl (to Alaska) for several years is that Chinese nationals who travel in a large group will take many plates of food and occupy the game room and sometimes the library . This lasts all afternoon and when you try to enter the game room, they have every surface filled with plates of old food and they just keep bringing more back more for everyone. I Think

the new policies may be geared for this type of situation as well as the obvious revenue seeking action.

It will be interesting to see how things play out before,our POA cruise in January.

Okay! Let's say it is all about money. If you ran NCL wouldm't you want to make profits? I cruise in 2015 in a suite for the 2004 price of a balcony. I don't care what the explanation may be, the overall steady cruise price, choice in resturants, and number of things to do onboard ship are far more numerous than in years past.