Mid May Trip from Seattle - Thoughts

Cravester78

We are looking at the Westerdam round trip Seattle with Glacier Bay trip for 2016 the week before Memorial Day. I have a couple questions. First, how is the weather that time of year, especially going from Seattle? Second, we have the option of leaving from Vancouver but would have to give up our balcony. Our though is a balcony is more important than departure point. What is everyone's opinion on this? It will be our first Alaskan cruise and we want to make it the best we possibly can. We also like the port of Sitka, it looks really neat. Thoughts on that are appreciated as well as I have not been able to find out as much info on that port.

We are looking at the Westerdam round trip Seattle with Glacier Bay trip for 2016 the week before Memorial Day. I have a couple questions. First, how is the weather that time of year, especially going from Seattle? Second, we have the option of leaving from Vancouver but would have to give up our balcony. Our though is a balcony is more important than departure point. What is everyone's opinion on this? It will be our first Alaskan cruise and we want to make it the best we possibly can. We also like the port of Sitka, it looks really neat. Thoughts on that are appreciated as well as I have not been able to find out as much info on that port.

You could still do a balcony from Vancouver . You'll have find an inexpensive way to get to Vancouver from Seattle.

Looking at our budget a balcony from Vancouver doesn't seem possible. It is more expensive to begin with (the one we would want anyway) and the cost to get to Vancouver would have to be figured in. Doing the math we were looking at an additional $600 plus for Vancouver, which I think would be put to better use on excursions and a balcony. But suggestions & thoughts are appreciated!

We are booked on that cruise specifically because of Sitka and Glacier Bay. We splurged on the AFT Balcony figuring it was a once in a lifetime trip. We are flying in and out of Vancouver from Chicago. It is more money than Seattle but I get sea sick and heard it can be rough sailing from that port.

We are booked on that cruise specifically because of Sitka and Glacier Bay. We splurged on the AFT Balcony figuring it was a once in a lifetime trip. We are flying in and out of Vancouver from Chicago. It is more money than Seattle but I get sea sick and heard it can be rough sailing from that port.

Starting in Vancouver is a better choice for many reasons, including quieter waters, but also scenery.

Weather is never guaranteed in Alaska. However, May/June are the dryest months of the year. If you go to Alaska, definitely do it in May.

We just came off the Norwegian Jewel, May 7-16, 2015. We had a bit of rain as we sailed out of Juneau, but either partly cloudy or full sunny days the rest of the time. Of course, this doesn't mean the weather will be good in 2016, but see my first paragraph.

Three potential concerns for May departures...

• some private excursion operators don't operate until later in the month or June.
  • is there a desire to go to Tracy Arm and meet Sawyer? May can have ice congestion preventing small and large boats to enter safely.
  • May is dryer in Alaska, but wetter in Cascadia. This year is kinda weird with Double El Nino... resulting a drought on the West Coast.

You could still do a balcony from Vancouver . You'll have find an inexpensive way to get to Vancouver from Seattle.
$50 for Quick Shuttle from Seattle to Vancouver downtown. There are 5 to 6 daily trips to choose to fit your schedule...

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

Starting in Vancouver is a better choice for many reasons, including quieter waters, but also scenery.

[YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Need info on Sitka?

Every town/port has a web site and most will send you a free visitor guide.

http://www.sitka.org

There are also books specific to Alaska cruises ... Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call. Both provide info on itineraries, ports, activities, etc. Your library may have copies (and other Alaska travel guides). Look thru past trip (Sticky above) for May sailings

Vancouver departures are more scenic because they sail between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland. Also the waters are more sheltered. Seattle departures sail the west side of Vancouver so it's open sea ... no real scenery and if there's a bad storm a greater chance of rough sailing.

May to mid June tends to be better weather; drier and more sun. In addition to weather concerns, think about activities that won't be available. ie too early for salmon runs so no bear viewing tours.

<<a balcony is more important than departure point>> Hmmmm, that's an interesting perspective.

Tough choices! We prefer cruises out of Vancouver because it's beautiful from the moment you cast off. Typically we take the train from Seattle toVancouver - consider it the first of our excursions and it's a lovely ride. However, having a balcony is the deal-breaker for us - we spend lots of time out there and have seen much more wildlife from the balcony than from other parts of the ship (particularly early in the morning :D). Re Seattle: I'm subject to motion sickness (I start taking Bonine the night before any cruise) but am remembering we were lucky with good weather and smooth sailing out of Seattle, and the brief hop up through the San Juans was nice. Good luck - Alaska cruises are wonderful!

Edited by LoriPhil

We just returned from this very sailing today! I have never sailed out of Vancouver but we loved starting in Seattle. It was a great city and we had a blast exploring the markets, buying salmon and going to a baseball game. Weather has been unseasonably fantastic. It was mid-50's early in the day in every port, getting up to 70 in Juneau, but generally mid-60's. It was comfortable weather for walking around (for us)!

Our balcony was wonderful on the Westerdam. I have only had inside cabins before so this was a real treat. It was still too cool in the morning to have breakfast out there, but it was still fun to watch the scenery while having coffee, especially in Glacier Bay.

Sitka was a fun port. We chartered a fishing boat and our group mostly caught halibut as it is kind of early for king salmon. I caught 1 king salmon though so I consider it a success! Should be shipped to us sometime this week. Other members in our group did a pedal pub tour and the raptor center (eagle rehabilitation). Everyone thought their tours were great.

Sitka truly is a fun port. We did HAL's sea otter excursion with Allen Marine two years ago and it was the highlight of our trip. The town itself is charming and you'll find lots to do.

We did the May Westerdam trip and enjoyed it. My suggestion would be to go with what you can afford. Shore excursions can be pricey and you don't need financial concerns to spoil what will be a good time.

btw, HAL and Princess get the best berths in all the ports. You'll enjoy easy access on most port days.

If you're sailing out of Seattle you might want to compare Celebrity prices too. They sometimes have lower prices and their on-board naturalist team has a great reputation. HAL tries, but Celebrity's offering is better on that.

Edited by tangerinebunny

If you sail out of Vancouver you go up the inside passage between the Mainland & Vancouver Island which you miss if going out of Seattle - this portion takes about 24 hours .... You will be close to land on both sides of the ship for this portion and smooth sailing.

I would also suggest a one way cruise Vancouver to Anchorage or in reverse as you spend more time in each port and the Anchorage portion is great. Costs a little more in flights as you are into one port and out of another - but often the cruise costs are less especially in may which is a great time for Alaska as you will have daylight until about 11pm