Random thought --- Panama Canal Transit Toll

jt58203

Sorry, no need for an answer. I found it in my 2010 post.

A few weeks ago I got off HAL's Zuiderdam (10-Day Panama Canal). We were told that it cost our ship $300,000 in tolls just to go in/out of the canal.

Wow! I can't imagine the cost when the larger ships go through.

Edited by jt58203

The guy who swam the Canal a while back had to pay $2.37 or $2.73 as his toll was based on weight.

Article says it is $135 per berth for the standard canal and $148 per berth for the new canal. The mega ships will be paying big bucks!

glad to here that the mega ships will pay more!!!

I think you may have reconsider your statement... you will pay more!;) I'm sure the shipping companies will pass their cost on to the consumer:D.

I think you may have reconsider your statement... you will pay more!;) I'm sure the shipping companies will pass their cost on to the consumer:D.
It'll be spread over more passengers, so any individual passenger may not be paying more than at present.

DH read somewhere that the Chinese are tired of paying the tolls so they are digging their own canal. I just can't remember which country they are doing it in.

DH read somewhere that the Chinese are tired of paying the tolls so they are digging their own canal. I just can't remember which country they are doing it in.

They are also doing the new locks at the Panama Canal - maybe practicing. Do like the new 'frequent user' discount thru the canal for cargo ships.

It'll be spread over more passengers, so any individual passenger may not be paying more than at present.

Even though there will be more passengers to shoulder the burden, the passenger will be paying more for the transit. The actual toll on large cruise ships using the present locks after April 1, 2016 will rise from $134 to $138 per passenger berth while cruise ships using the new locks will pay $148ppb. That toll is applied to all passenger berths occupied or not.

If you look at an average 10-11 day Caribbean cruise the additional Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses generally in the vicinity of $120. Now take a Caribbean cruise that includes the Panama Canal... I was just looking at one on Princess, a 10 day partial transit cruise Taxes, Fees and Port expenses are $311. The cruise lines are extracting almost another $200 from the passenger for the trip through the Canal. To be fair, while the toll per passenger berth is a huge chunk of the cost to go through the Canal, there are some substantial non toll charges associated with the transit that must be paid as well. The cruise line is also providing some cushion for themselves for all the unoccupied 3rd an 4th berths that the Canal charges for. One other item, partial transit or full transit is the same toll for the cruise line.