Sunshine Texting Question

arubagirl07

Does anyone know how this is regulated? Like how are you only allowed to use certain apps & not get online? (Using an iPhone)

The plan you purchase limits the access. The value plan only allows you certain websites/apps. The Next plan allows email. I think the top plan allows most everything.

I am not electronically savvy so please be patient with me, I have an ipad and will be on the sunshine. My dad has an ipad who will be staying home. If I purchase the social package for $5 a day, I will be able to talk to my dad to check in and make sure everything is fine? I am getting nervous because I am leaving him with a bunch of cats to watch and my mom who is sick and knowing that I won't be able to keep in touch while on the cruise is really making me anxious. I just want to make sure I understand.

With the value plan, you will be able to text him using iMessage. Make sure you can do that from home before you leave. Otherwise, you can text him using Facebook Messenger.

To keep from getting worried about my mother, I texted her when I knew she was likely home watching TV late in the evening . She always answered pretty quickly that way. She's not glued to her phone all day like we are. [emoji6]

If you only have one plan you can share. You leave it active don't have to sign off - when someone else wants to use it they can sign in and disconnect you.

When using a phone or a device with data make sure you are in airplane mode.

When texting on the $25 plan you can use Facebook messenger but not sure about iPhone to Ipad Messages - hopefully someone will clarify this - I do know you can use it on the $60 plan - not sure about streaming if the $60 plan is fast enough - someone may clairify that - they won't let you use Netflix.

Attached is the WIFI your way brochure.

plan.jpg.5b384d19eedf5509f7dfc8bdc6d9696e.jpg

Call Verizon they can be very helpful. Verify this with them but if you turn off data you can turn your cell on every once and awhile. 5 cents for incoming text messages 50 cents for out going. Don't use I messaging as it uses the the internet. We have done this on the Triumph and the Magic in the last 2 years with no problems. Just be sure you are far enough out to sea not to connect to the local cell towers.

great info and thank you. If you use the texting is it $25 a person or per room? We have 6 going with 3 per room and I would like this to keep track of teenagers on the ship.

It can be $25 for the whole ship per cruise if you want BUT only one person can be on at a time! This is a great plan for one teen at a time using it doing FB messenger or whatever but for you to communicate back and forth it doesn't sound like it would work for you. For example you could FB your teen on the $25 plan "where are you" but they would have to be on to get the message! In other words it is great to share among the kids to communicate with their friends back home but not to text you or each other back and forth! Of course you could set up some kind of schedule to leave messages i.e. Teen #1 check every hour on the hour or whatever - - on the $25 plan you can ONLY use the apps they allow! On the $60 plan you can use any app that uses wifi (or on a laptop you just browse/surf as usual). On a laptop you can use FB messenger also on the $25 plan - make sure you install it on your laptop first if you do! (please someone correct me if I am wrong)

It can be $25 for the whole ship per cruise if you want BUT only one person can be on at a time! This is a great plan for one teen at a time using it doing FB messenger or whatever but for you to communicate back and forth it doesn't sound like it would work for you. For example you could FB your teen on the $25 plan "where are you" but they would have to be on to get the message! In other words it is great to share among the kids to communicate with their friends back home but not to text you or each other back and forth! Of course you could set up some kind of schedule to leave messages i.e. Teen #1 check every hour on the hour or whatever - - on the $25 plan you can ONLY use the apps they allow! On the $60 plan you can use any app that uses wifi (or on a laptop you just browse/surf as usual). On a laptop you can use FB messenger also on the $25 plan - make sure you install it on your laptop first if you do! (please someone correct me if I am wrong)

I just wish they would have something like that on the ships where you could communicate. We were leaving messages on the cabin phones of where we were on the last cruise and it worked well. Then again, I really don't want them walking around with their phones. Thanks for all the info. We are definitely doing the more expensive plan because we need it for work.

You CAN use iMessage from iPhones to iPads with the $25 plan. If the phone is onboard, you need to put it in Airplane mode to avoid carrier charges. The messages will travel over wifi instead of your carrier network. This assumes, as in the scenario brought up originally, that the iPad is at home.

If both devices were onboard, the only way to make it work would be to buy two $25 packages, one for each device.

Has anyone with Verizon More Everything Plan cruised and know for sure that international texting is included. I have seen that it is on the website, but would like to make sure. Also are the internet packages through carnival priced per day or a set price for the whole cruise. I've seen many of you quote $25/$60/$90 packages but all I see on the website are $5/day, $16/day, and $25/day. I will be cruising on an 8 day cruise so there is a significant difference.

Thanks in advance:)

Has anyone with Verizon More Everything Plan cruised and know for sure that international texting is included. I have seen that it is on the website, but would like to make sure. Also are the internet packages through carnival priced per day or a set price for the whole cruise. I've seen many of you quote $25/$60/$90 packages but all I see on the website are $5/day, $16/day, and $25/day. I will be cruising on an 8 day cruise so there is a significant difference.

Thanks in advance:)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-messaging-faqs/ international textng is from the USA - read the FAQs -

The higher rates are PER CRUISE - you can upgrade for the difference during the cruise - the daily rates can be used if you only plan on using it a few days.

15799235178_a8aa60a543_c.jpg

ddlb posted this, too.

It clearly states that it's $5/day OR $25 for the cruise for the social plan. My pic is from Freedom 11/28 sailing.

And Carnival also gives you info. I know we're all "experts" here but sometime going to the source is actually helpful.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. I am traveling on the Sunshine in two weeks and leaving my teens at home (for the first time). If I buy the Social Package I can communicate with them via Facebook Messenger as much as I want?

All I would need to do would be buy the package, put my phone in airplane mode, connect to the social wifi connection that will be provided by the ship, then never take my phone out of airplane mode or disconnect from that connection for the duration of the cruise.

I wouldn't even bother with the What's App thing as we all have Facebook accounts.

This would work with AT & T as well right?

You got it.

Don't worry about staying connected. You'll be disconnected from the ship's wifi when you're in port and out-of-range. You just reconnect. If you lose the connection while on board, it's simple to just reconnect.

There were a few places on the ship that I couldn't connect but I don't remember where. My cabin was an interior on Riviera and I had no problem connecting down there.

I really didn't need the Value plan. Next time, if I even bother at all, I'll just get the Social plan. I have no want or need to stay in contact. I really just got it so I could upload a few photos to Facebook and gloat about being on a cruise visiting beautiful islands. :p

I just got off the Sunshine! social plan worked perfectly to communicate with my family at home on Facebook messenger. I could also upload pics to FacebooK, as well as get on Instagram and Twitter! Well worth the $25. Just be aware that it is not available in ports. I just had to let my older kids at home know I would be unavailable until I got back to the ship.