kids clubs, movies, snacks

We're considering booking a 15 day transatlantic cruise on NCL next year. Please give me insight as we've never sailed NCL before.

Background:

We (2 adults and 5 kids) had a similar cruise booked with RCI this fall but cancelled it when we got back from an RCI caribbean sailing on Oasis, planning to book DisneyCL instead. The kids got bored of the kids club and there weren't a lot of movies or even good snacks onboard to keep everyone happy. The dinners were too long and boring. We know DCL can keep them (and us) happy with all of those aspects.

So we patiently waited for 2016 itineraries to become available and booked opening day. It's about $9K for the seven of us in connecting balcony staterooms for this 10 day cruise and the majority of the ports aren't that appealing to us.

We could book NCL's 15 day cruise with more appealing ports of call for much less or spend about the same and get a suite with connecting minisuite for about the same price... and 5 more nights! (And concierge and butler, port excursion credits, dining credits, free wifi time, $500 OBC, and much more space.)

So my biggest concern is... will the kids be happy with the kids clubs, movies, and snacks? If not, this is not a good deal for us.

Thanks!

Edited by drmomto3kids

As appealing as all the extra space and other extras would be, I believe I've talked myself back into sticking with DCL... for the ages of our kids...for now. Hard to beat DCL for keeping kids happy. And when they're happy, we're happy!

As appealing as all the extra space and other extras would be, I believe I've talked myself back into sticking with DCL... for the ages of our kids...for now. Hard to beat DCL for keeping kids happy. And when they're happy, we're happy!

Well the cost of DCL can be beat.

Have you seen this?

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213057

The snacks were bad? What kind of snacks are served? And you said the movies were bad, do you mean not age appropriate? We have been thinking about a cruise on that line.

We were on the Oasis last year and my son was 7 and loved the kids club. He got mad every time we went to sign him out. Even if it was 5 minutes before they closed. I think it depends on the child.

The snacks were bad? What kind of snacks are served? And you said the movies were bad, do you mean not age appropriate? We have been thinking about a cruise on that line.

They didn't offer many movies and they weren't very new either. We only went to see one...the Penguins of Madagascar and they actually ended up playing a different movie with no announcement whatsoever (and it was one we had already seen.) On the Oasis, they also showed movies in the Aqua Theater which is outside and no seats look directly at the screens. It's a poor venue. Not comparable to movies at the pool (which I can take or leave.) But I do like that DCL shows lots of movies at many times in the regular theater.

Snacks are just more conveniently located on DCL. Food close to the pools versus packing up and leaving to find food.

We had done Oasis previously and liked it alright the first time but after the novelty of the ship wore off, and after sailing DCL's Fantasy, we just couldn't stop comparing.

RCI is certainly not a bad cruise line at all. And Oasis is unique and beautiful, but for us we decided we decided it was too boring with the ages of our kids. (5 kids ages ten down to 1.)

The kids thought the clubs were OK but tired of them and comparing them to DCL, were a little disappointed. RCI's club's are fine, but none can really compare to DCL.

The long, boring dinners (in the same dining room every night) was also part of the problem last time. I like DCL rotational dining. The best of both worlds...different dining venues (with entertainment I might add) and the same waitstaff who get to know your needs.

For us, DCL iis worth the extra price for the outstanding service and amenities. Was just wondering how NCL stacked up. I think we'll wait a few years to find out.

Hope that helps explain.

They didn't offer many movies and they weren't very new either. We only went to see one...the Penguins of Madagascar and they actually ended up playing a different movie with no announcement whatsoever (and it was one we had already seen.) On the Oasis, they also showed movies in the Aqua Theater which is outside and no seats look directly at the screens. It's a poor venue. Not comparable to movies at the pool (which I can take or leave.) But I do like that DCL shows lots of movies at many times in the regular theater.

Snacks are just more conveniently located on DCL. Food close to the pools versus packing up and leaving to find food.

We had done Oasis previously and liked it alright the first time but after the novelty of the ship wore off, and after sailing DCL's Fantasy, we just couldn't stop comparing.

RCI is certainly not a bad cruise line at all. And Oasis is unique and beautiful, but for us we decided we decided it was too boring with the ages of our kids. (5 kids ages ten down to 1.)

The kids thought the clubs were OK but tired of them and comparing them to DCL, were a little disappointed. RCI's club's are fine, but none can really compare to DCL.

The long, boring dinners (in the same dining room every night) was also part of the problem last time. I like DCL rotational dining. The best of both worlds...different dining venues (with entertainment I might add) and the same waitstaff who get to know your needs.

For us, DCL iis worth the extra price for the outstanding service and amenities. Was just wondering how NCL stacked up. I think we'll wait a few years to find out.

Hope that helps explain.

In your situation, you have made the right choice. DCL is kids first, everyone else 2nd. Other lines tend to swing the other way. When they are older and interesting ports mean more than what goes on onboard then definitely look at other lines. My kids hated the kids clubs (on DCL & NCL) so we tailored our cruises around ports that they would enjoy and in between we brought things with us that kept them amused. Now they just love cruising. They still hate the clubs but find other things that they like to do.

I've never gone to a movie on a ship...too much other stuff to do!

Some people enjoy movies wherever they are...especially kids which is what is being discussed here. Are you a kid? Most kids I know do not enjoy tanning, drinking and yakking with people at dinner. :rolleyes:

When our 4 were the ages of yours, we did DCL. In the last year, dh switched to Celebrity with the older ones, and we're taking the littles (5 & 7) on ncl for the first time next week. As of now we have plans for the 6 of us in a suite for next Thanskgiving.

I'm hoping they'll love the ncl clubs. I'm glad NCL sails out of NYC, and it's easier to get a longer itinerary than 5 days (DCL last trip we did was Panama Canal repo).

Actually that is an awesome price for 7 on DCL. I am a die hard for DCL though too. It cost more but there is a difference.

I think if you can swing the DCL price and your kids are excited about it I would stick with it. There are just some things Disney does better than other lines and to me the whole experience is better for kids (and myself too LOL). So many fun family things to do together...and yet they offer a lot of adult only options too.

However I am not opposed to sailing other lines but they never come close to being better. Some aspects might be, but as a total I am all for DCL.

From the sounds of it, if you're looking for a kids club that will keep the kids entertained and never bored or complain once for a whole trip, then DCL is the way to go. Although the kids clubs are fun, on NCL and RCCL the entire line doesn't cater to keeping kids occupied the entire time that they are on the trip. It's there to assist the parents to help to provide something for the kids to do when their parents aren't entertaining them or taking them to see the world. I'm grateful I waited until DD was older to take her on a cruise. She's more interested in what we're doing and what's going on. She likes the kid clubs in small doses but can entertain herself most of the time.