Hotels and transportation in Fort Lauderdale for five people

MaiseyM

I am planning for our family trip on Oasis in March. I have 2 adults, 3 kids. We are flying into FLL, so I won't have a car. I would like to avoid getting two rooms if possible; my youngest will be 10 yo. Is there any suggestions of good/decent hotels that won't cost more than $400 per night after all the transfers to the ship and other fees? I was looking at Embassy Suites and Hampton since they include meals, but it seems like I may need to get two rooms. I haven't called, so maybe it's possible to get a cot for a 5th person.

Any pros/cons in getting shuttle vs. cab/Uber to the cruise on Saturday morning? I have a group of five, so I am wondering if we would save money by getting a cab since we have so many people. Thoughts?

Embassy Suites have a very large bedroom with 2 beds plus a separate common area with sofa, table and chairs etc. Very spacious and more than enough room for a family of 5.

We paid about 200$ for 1 night. Breakfast was included. And evening refreshments.

I would stay there again

They have shuttles or if you ask Valet guys they will get you a taxi.

We are 2 adults and 3 kids too. When we were on the Oasis last month, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in a suite. It had 2 queen beds and a fold out couch. It worked perfectly. It also had a fridge and coffee maker. The shuttle from the airport to the hotel is free. There is a Chipotle, McDonalds and Burger King right there and there's a KMart and Big Lots across the street to buy last minute items and a cheap case of water to take on. When we checked in, I asked the front desk person to arrange for a taxi for us at 10a. We came down at 10, and our taxi was waiting for us (amazing service). It was about $22 including tip. They also have a shuttle from the hotel, but it's $10pp. I was not going to pay $50 to get to the pier, and it's much slower. We loved this hotel. Our rate was $209, but it was a very busy weekend and many hotels were sold out, so that rate may have been high.

AND, we could see the ship from our room (6th floor). It was in the distance, but we could see it. A lovely way to wake up!

Edited by TripleU

Embassy suites is a good choice for 5 as all their rooms are 2 room suites. Also includes cocktails (and soda for kids) the night before and cooked breakfast.

At the airport you can easily get a larger van type cab that will hold 5 plus luggage. Also cab is cheaper than shuttle from hotel to port. Many hotels charge $8-10 per person for their shuttle. A cab is under $20 from most area hotels.

We like the Gallery One, a Double Tree Suites Hotel. It is possible to get a two bedroom suite. It is a good location for someone without a car. There is a water taxi stop right at the hotel. It is a ten minute walk to the beach. It is located next to the Galleria Mall which has many restaurants and a food court for meals.

Be sure to check out prices for any Hilton brand hotels (Gallery One and Embassy Suites are both Hilton owned) at hiltonfamilymvp.com. In order to book at these low rates you must be a member of the Hilton Honors program. Membership is free, you just need to sign up.

Thank you. It seems like the 5th person is always where the hotels want me to find two rooms when searching rates online. Thank you for the good information.

Just put 2 adults and 2 kids. Most hotels don't care. Even the suite at Hilton Garden wouldn't allow 5 even though there were enough beds. We happened to be traveling with my parents, so I registered one kid on their room, but they arrived 5 hours after we did and the hotel didn't say anything about 5 people in our room even though we were quite obvious about it.

We stay at the Embassy Suites...the best rates I have gotten are using Last Minute Travel Club www.lmtclub.com even better than the various Hilton sites etc. (I've tried many). Membership is usually offered free just go through the sign up process.

Hyatt Place has rooms that sleep 5, they have 2 beds plus a sofa bed. They have a free airport shuttle and a shuttle to the pier for about $7 pp. Though it's probably cheaper to take a cab to the port. That's our plan

Depending on your date you can get a great deal through http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm. We got out room in August for $99.

Edited by dcgrumpy

March is peak. I think the Hyatt Place convention center is a great option. They have a shuttle from the aiprot free for your family too. BUT unless you can get it on valuetrips.com ( March has lots of dates blacked out) it will run close to other hotels. I'd look at that one plus Embassy Suites and Gallery One. They all have the rooms for five. I wouldn't look towards the airport with kids. Nothing to do. Stay in town for them to enjoy the beach walk.