Credit Card Decision

reilly1

I have registered my credit card for a forthcoming cruise and have to make the decision whether to (a) use Celebrity Cruises currency conversion programme or (b) have my credit card issuer convert. What is the best choice? I live in the United Kingdom.

Thanks.

The ship will bill you in dollars, and the exchange rate is usually worse than you would get in the UK, or through your UK credit card, especially if you have a card such as Halifax Clarity and some others, I think maybe the Post Office, which do not charge an exchange fee on top of the exchange rate.

You can also take some dollars with you and pay your account on the last evening with cash. You still have to register a credit card, but you will know exactly what the dollars you pay with have cost you. I have certainly done this in the past to use up any leftover dollars from previous US trips!

Thanks for quick replies. I have a Clarity Card so will use that.

That really is a brilliant card for foreign use; I even use it for foreign ATM cash withdrawals, and then immediately transfer money back from my current account. I paid 3p interest on those withdrawals last time I was in Spain. far cheaper than cards which charge extra for non-sterling purchases, or for cash withdrawals - or both!

Stuart

Another option would be to buy onboard credit before the cruise. At the moment you get $25 of OBC for £14.90 which beats what you can get on the high street by around 15c to the £.

This sort of OBC is refundable if you don't use it albeit in US$. We usually put more on than we need and transfer it to a prepaid US$ card.

Buying OBC.I believe this is in the form of certificates ? How does this work ? using them to get drinks etc ? Does it go on your sea pass ?. Thanks for any info in advance.

The last time I did it, it just went on to my OBC. However, the non refundable ( from Celebrity) was used up first. If you buy OBC it is refundable at the end of the cruise, if unused.

You should have a note in the cabin, informing you of the 'gift.' I take my advice notice with me, also my credit card statement.

Be aware that it can take some time for it to show and it says 'Celebrity -Paris' on your C.C statement, but it's still a very good rate of exchange!:)

Edited by upwarduk

Buying OBC.I believe this is in the form of certificates ? How does this work ? using them to get drinks etc ? Does it go on your sea pass ?. Thanks for any info in advance.

The best and easiest way to do this is to phone Celebrity UK, ask for amenities and they will sort it out. There does not seem to be any limit on what you put on despite the web site only allowing you 9 units. I have had $1250 obc addedmost of which covered my hotel bill in Miami after the cruise.

That really is a brilliant card for foreign use; I even use it for foreign ATM cash withdrawals, and then immediately transfer money back from my current account. I paid 3p interest on those withdrawals last time I was in Spain. far cheaper than cards which charge extra for non-sterling purchases, or for cash withdrawals - or both!

Stuart

.........or save yourself the 3p (or indeed any charge at all) by putting the Clarity card in credit before you charge anything to it!:)

Edited by SWORRUB1

I am in UK. I just phoned my travel agent and asked them to buy OBC for me, then I paid them. They sent me an email confirming the payment which I will take with me at the end of August. As someone else said, the rate ($/£) is far better than the high street.

Do anything banks in the UK have US dollar CC, because in Canada , I can get an US dollar Visa card , which we use on the cruise

We also buy OBC at a great rate from Celebrity , the unused amour is then refund to our U.S. Dollar credit card

We used this method on our silhouette TA which end this month