Buying cruise tix from overseas agent.

writer100

I keep hearing that cruise tickets purchased through a UK travel agent are often cheaper than from a US agent. Can anyone shed light on this? Is this true, and are there any pitfalls other than currency exchange?

Many thanks for your help.

There were specials being run in the U.K. (not sure if they still are). Research was done by some posters 3-4 months ago on the Regent board. As I recall, you definitely need to reside in the U.K. in order to book through an agent there. I have not heard of anyone residing in the U.S. that was able to book overseas.

I have no first hand info but have read here the deposits are not refunded if the trip is canceled even before final payment date. Something to check on

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I've called an agent in the UK and also in Germany and both quoted rates only around $300 pp less than what my US agent is giving me (at the current exchange rate as of today). My US agent is offering more perks so it doesn't make sense to book overseas.

I feel more comfortable staying with my US agent for the perks, worry of currency exchange changes, ease of making changes and full deposit refund if needed (within the time limits).

I have no first hand info but have read here the deposits are not refunded if the trip is canceled even before final payment date. Something to check on

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

This is correct. In the UK, if you cancel at any time for whatever reason, the deposit is not refunded.

Actually that is not correct re loss of deposit with Oceania cruises booked in the UK.

From a future booking terms and conditions on which a deposit has been paid -

Cancellation charges:

Quote:

181 days or more prior to departure - 0% of full fare on cruises 15 days or more

121 days or more prior to departure - 0% of full fare on cruises less than 15 days.

There is an admin fee of £175 which may be converted to a future cruise credit.

After final payment, there are staged cancellations charges. Different cancellations charges apply to higher lever suites.

We have had a deposit, paid on board and then the booking assigned to a UK travel agent, returned to us in full and promptly with no problems whatsoever when we has to cancel the booking.

We have also a cruise booked on Regent and their terms are quite different. Loss of deposit from deposit date to 90 days prior, then staged % charges upwards. This may be more the norm in the UK.

Edited by fairbourne

This is correct. In the UK, if you cancel at any time for whatever reason, the deposit is not refunded.

That depends entirely on the individual cruise line.....I have just cancelled a Silversea cruise and had my full 25% deposit refunded less a £100 administration fee. Have also done the same with O some time ago.

We have also a cruise booked on Regent and their terms are quite different. Loss of deposit from deposit date to 90 days prior, then staged % charges upwards. This may be more the norm in the UK.

If you live in the UK and use UK Agents, why aren't you aware of what their rules are? :confused:

I find the way that you phrased this very odd.

If you live in the UK and use UK Agents, why aren't you aware of what their rules are? :confused:

I find the way that you phrased this very odd.

How so? I AM aware of the rules which is why I outlined the Oceania terms and conditions of cancellation here in the UK quoting from their current booking conditions.

By comparison, and referring to the the last paragraph which you appear to find confusing, I added some information about cancellation charges applicable to a Regent cruise, which does indeed incur loss of deposit from the time (date) the deposit is paid. After that there are further cancellation charges to pay dependant upon when you cancel the cruise as a percentage of the full cruise fare. I only added this as an example of what beachmudhut stated in an earlier post re loss of deposit when cancelling a cruise at any time in the UK. In my opinion, this may be more usual terms and conditions for cancelling a cruise in the UK - I do not know. Hence the use of the word "may" and I have no need to find out until, if and when I book a cruise with a line which I am unfamiliar with.

I also thought people would find it interesting as both Oceania and Regent come out of the same stable but have quite different booking terms and conditions.

Hope that makes it clearer!

For a few years I used a well regarded UK agent for my cruises. At the time two brochures were printed, one in US dollars and one in pounds sterling. The exchange rate fluctuated closer to sailing dates, making it advantageous for Americans to use a UK agent, saving hundreds of dollars by booking early.

Today the exchange rate is not as favorable and I use American agents. (I can't comment on cancellation penalties since I didn't cancel any cruises booked in the UK.)

For a few years I used a well regarded UK agent for my cruises. At the time two brochures were printed, one in US dollars and one in pounds sterling. The exchange rate fluctuated closer to sailing dates, making it advantageous for Americans to use a UK agent, saving hundreds of dollars by booking early.

Today the exchange rate is not as favorable and I use American agents. (I can't comment on cancellation penalties since I didn't cancel any cruises booked in the UK.)

Do you have a U.K. address and passport? Curious as to how you booked in the U.K. unless you are a dual citizen with residency in both countries.

Do you have a U.K. address and passport? Curious as to how you booked in the U.K. unless you are a dual citizen with residency in both countries.

I only have a U.S. passport and address. Fellow cruisers told me about the UK agency and I simply e-mailed them. All our correspondence was via the internet and I received documents well in advance of cruises. Although I now use a U.S-based TA, I still keep in touch with the UK one--in case of a good deal.

It's fine for an American to buy a U.S. marketed cruise from an overseas agent in order to benefit from the money exchange rates.

Where the controversy comes in is when people try to access deals which are only available to passengers living in a foreign market through that foreign agent.

It works the other way too - I do not have a US address nor a US passport but for years I have been booking my cruises through a US TA because I use my US bank account to pay for the cruises. I know other people here in Switzerland who use UK travel agents and one who uses a Spanish agent to book cruises (he gets the best price...)