Booking/tour options forthe WPYR train

CruisingSince2012

I read about a company that sells White Pass/Yukon Route Railroad tours (not a ship tour). There is probably another company that does this for the cruise line, but I don't know anything about that. Should I look at these options or just buy tickets directly from the WPYR's official website?

Also is it better to take the train both ways or train one way and van the other? Does that choice affect the tour's duration and/or ticket price?

There are many options for train/bus combo tours, as well as the round trip train. If you just want to do the train, you can book with your cruise line or directly with WPYR. The advantage to booking with the cruise line, IF you are docking at one of the two Railroad docks, is that you will board the train right at the dock instead of walking into town. I'm not sure where you board if you are at the other docks.

For the train/bus combo tours, the biggest advantage of booking independently is smaller group sizes. Most use mini buses, similar to airport shuttle buses, so groups are about 10-15 rather than 40+ on a big bus. The smaller buses are also able to pull over at some spots where a bigger bus cannot fit.

I suggest that you look at the various tours and decide which you want to do, then figure out who to book with. Some vendors may have limited availability at this point.

I highly recommend Chilkoot Charters. I've done two different tours with them and enjoyed them both.

I am a huge fan of the WPYR and take the train up and down. I always book my trip at the station on the day of arrival working on the theory that if the mountains are shrouded with cloud I wait for the afternoon and if it is still cloudy I don't go. It is a little cheaper if you book at the station but it is really the weather issue that causes me to book directly.

We took the train up and a tour to Emerald lake and back. In the end we were very glad we did the combined instead of train round trip. We used Dyea Dave and it was very good. The small bus down gives you several different views of the valley and makes stops for photo opportunities. Everyone has there own likes, but for us this really worked well. Also with a small group we could make changes on the go.

It's up to your preferences. There are specific differences to the "tours". The round trip train is simple- I will suspect that even those people who book through ship excursions, still are going to go into town, so there really isn't much advantage to the dock loaded ship tour- which all the docks have.

One way Fraser trains, have the option to return from, there, back to Skagway- and is the shortest tour. Some do included additional stops, Liarsville, Suspension Bridge, Jewell Gardens. The other combo road trip with this train is to Emerald Lake. An add on to this trip can include Caribou Crossing, for a cheap dog cart ride.

A final tour to consider is the train to Lake Bennett, ending in Carcross. This would be a "must" for those with a history and rail priority. I especially find access to the Chilkoot Trail fascinating with the ability to see some of the "garbage" left behind. This usually also includes a stop and Emerald Lake, with the same return stops to Skagway. I have done them all several times. Something for everyone indeed. :)

I second the recommendation for Chilkoot Charters. Did the Yukon rail up and the bus back. If you do the train back and forth, you will miss the emerald lake, the smallest desert. We saw bears, mountain goats on the highway. The train is going much faster than a car, and will not stop. The driver for chilkoot stopped, and we took alot of pictures. Chilkoot also has a smaller bus, than those giant buses filled with tourists.

I second the recommendation for Chilkoot Charters. Did the Yukon rail up and the bus back. If you do the train back and forth, you will miss the emerald lake, the smallest desert. We saw bears, mountain goats on the highway. The train is going much faster than a car, and will not stop. The driver for chilkoot stopped, and we took alot of pictures. Chilkoot also has a smaller bus, than those giant buses filled with tourists.

Ditto...we did Bennett Scenic Journey last July with Chilkoot and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Had a moose take flight into Lake Bennett...didn't realise they could swim that fast!

We had no more than 24 of us in our group and the railcar to ourselves. The small bus/large van was great and Dave, our guide, stopped a lot of places on the way back that wouldn't have been possible in a larger bus.

Chilkoot met us at the foot of the pier and drove us to the train at the WPYR yards. This trip was not available through NCL so we booked through Chilkoot.

Photos ...

Video clips ...

I'll do this one again!

Hope you find a trip of your liking.

Also is it better to take the train both ways or train one way and van the other? Does that choice affect the tour's duration and/or ticket price?
Thoughts....

• are you happy with a return trip from the summit? Or would going a little further to Fraser to check out the lake be of interest.
  • do you have a passport to go further than the summit?
  • I prefer bus up and train down..... train down to avoid fog. The bus allows you to check the canyon from both sides.
  • left side up, right side down... the White Pass trail is just below the window and it's only a few feet wide.
  • many combo options available with the bus combo. Yukon? Liarsville? Suspension Bridge... etc...

0xHCn0IkjUE