Sharing Van in Livorno to spend day in Florence

Ivegourmet

Will arrive in Livorno on June 30, in Oceania. We are two, and we are on list to go in mini van to Florence and then back to port. So far we are only two. We need more people to share ride. Anyone interested?

Will arrive in Livorno on June 30, in Oceania. We are two, and we are on list to go in mini van to Florence and then back to port. So far we are only two. We need more people to share ride. Anyone interested?

I see that this is your very first Posting, WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC :D

I think that you will find us a lively bunch!

What the Moderators of this Website realized, very wisely and very early on, is that while planning a trip can be a fascinating adventure for the participants, doing so also involves details and logistics which are of no interest to the common reader.

To that end, they have established a Cruise-Specific area of the Site which we call the Roll Calls, wherein passengers who are booked on a particular voyage are encouraged to network.

The Roll Calls are segregated, first by Cruise Line, then by the Ship, and finally by the sailing date.

To find your Roll Call, go to the Oceania Section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

Choose your vessel, and then search for your embarkation date.

There, you will be dealing only with those Passengers who will be IN Livorno with you on June 30th, so you will have a much better chance of connecting with someone...

Enjoy your cruise, and every minute of the planning-

Getting there IS half the fun ;)

I haven't done it myself but when we were in Livorno on MARINA in Oct '11 there were many comments about how easy it was to take the train to Florence (and also to Pisa and Lucca).

Try doing a search if no one else gives you more specific info ... Or go to the Ports of Call section on Cruise Critic. I just went through their European ports and got to Italy http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

but didn't find a Livorno section. Then again, I didn't search too hard!

Unasked, I'll make a suggestion ... Florence has so much to offer that a half or three-quarter day there is (to me) wasted time. If you have been there before and know what you would want to do, then I retract my comments. But we found that our day split between Pisa and Lucca (and yes, we used a van for three couples) was more time-effective than going to Florence. (Previously we had spent 4 days there a few years earlier so we didn't feel the need to go back at that time.)

My usual argument for NOT taking a long drive to a major site is that you spend as much time driving --maybe even more -- than seeing. But Pisa and Lucca are closer and well worth seeing ... and much easier to do in one day, whether you go by train or private van.

Of course, if you want to skip Pisa, do so. One of our couples was determined to climb the Tower so we all agreed to spend some time there and those of us who didn't climb the Tower spent a pleasant time in the Cathedral.

The van does have the advantage of a guide. But sometimes in Italy the driver doesn't have great English. On occasions I've had to use my Italian to converse with the driver -- my Italian is no longer great but it has served the purpose. And the driver was THRILLED that I could speak any Italian at all...

Take these comments as you wish ... they are well meant!

Mura

Thank you Mura! We have been many times to Florence, saw Pisa also. We just want to spend relaxing day walking, shopping and lunch in Florence. No sightseeing this time. I will look for train info. Thanks again!

Then it sounds like you have an excellent plan! I couldn't tell from your initial post, of course, if you'd been there before or not.

Next time we're in Livorno (whenever that may be) we will probably do as you are planning for your visit. When we were in Tuscany back then we spent time in Firenze, then picked up a car and drove through Tuscany, basing ourselves in a central location. So we've pretty much seen the "usual" spots. It would be nice to return to Florence.

Mura

Like Mura, I couldn't tell how well travelled you were so I didn't post earlier to say that we also took the train to Florence. If you don't need a guide it's a popular way to go. We looked up the timetable for trains from Livorno to Florence on the trenitalia website. There's lots of information online. Tripadvisor is useful.

We only speak "restaurant Italian" but found it quite straightforward with a smattering of please, thank you and good day added in.

If I remember correctly we took a bus to Livorno station then the train but I could be wrong. You can also get off the train in Pisa if you prefer.

Hope this helps,

Sella

Lucca is a gem and much nearer to Livorno if you fancied making a trip there another time.

We had "done" Florence on a previous Italian holiday so decided to explore a new spot. Not got the big sights of Florence but nice way to spend a morning. Especially if, as when we were there on Riviera in Sep, it was very hot.

Italy seldom disappoints me!! Hope you have a great time!

We docked in Livorno twice. Once in the commercial section which is very far from the entrance of the port and once in the cruise section which is very close to town. If the ship is in the cruise section you can walk to the train station. It's a nice 20 minute walk. There are also buses in town by the square that take you there as well or you can share a taxi. We went to Pisa and Lucca and others went to Florence on the express train. Just find out ahead of time if the day you are there is a HOLIDAY. Train schedules are very different on a holiday and don't run too often. The folks that went to Florence took a direct train. The direct train was very fast and efficient.

We docked in Livorno twice. Once in the commercial section which is very far from the entrance of the port and once in the cruise section which is very close to town. If the ship is in the cruise section you can walk to the train station. It's a nice 20 minute walk. There are also buses in town by the square that take you there as well or you can share a taxi. We went to Pisa and Lucca and others went to Florence on the express train. Just find out ahead of time if the day you are there is a HOLIDAY. Train schedules are very different on a holiday and don't run too often. The folks that went to Florence took a direct train. The direct train was very fast and efficient.

Terrier1 is right, Holiday schedules are different and you may miss out because you may not know what is a holiday. Be sure to ask someone onboard who knows if you are visiting on a holiday. My husband and I were visiting his hometown of Warburg, Westphalia, one summer. We excited our hotel to find the entire town shut down tight. It turned out that the town was celebrating a rather obscure Catholic holiday, Christ's Whited Sepulchre Day. We took the train to Kasel where everything was open. I have friends who were nuns who knew the holiday existed but didn't recall specific details.

So surprised that no one on this forum has even mentioned going to LaSpezia. It has been several years ago so I do not remember train details, but it was rather easy and LaSpezia is simply wonderful to roam around for your day in Livorno. We did all five areas by either walking on a trail or taking the train to the next village. Then, at the last village, we took a boat back to our starting point. Seeing the villages from the water was spectacular.

It was a fun day and quite easy to do on your own.

So surprised that no one on this forum has even mentioned going to LaSpezia. It has been several years ago so I do not remember train details, but it was rather easy and LaSpezia is simply wonderful to roam around for your day in Livorno. We did all five areas by either walking on a trail or taking the train to the next village. Then, at the last village, we took a boat back to our starting point. Seeing the villages from the water was spectacular.

It was a fun day and quite easy to do on your own.

Manarola-Cinque-Terre-Italy.jpg

Aren't you are referring to Cinque Terre (above), and not La Spezia (below)?

members_cmsuploads9a4a0-113ph.enricoamici_e.studio-6003902.jpg

La Spezia