Private tours - St. Petersburg

GeoffreySKay

My wife and I are new to cruising and will be taking our first cruise on Seabourn in late June to the Baltic Sea. I've been reviewing a number of the forums regarding private excursions in St. Petersburg and have decided that that's probably the best way to see the city. However, I have one question. When folks are referring to private tours, are they referring more generally to tours with private companies (which may include small group tours with private companies, such as TJs, Alla and SPB) as compared to Seabourn excursions, or more specifically to private tours with these private tour operators? With just my wife and I, the cost difference between the two types is significant for 3 days in St. Pete. However, if there's a meaningful difference between small group tours with these companies and private tours with the same companies, I'd like to be mindful of it in making a decision.

You raise a very valid question here. I think as far as meaning as used here on CC the answer is "both." But to my mind a private tour is just that -- private. It is something you set up with a guide for just yourselves, your family or two ( or three ) couples. You can then tailor the itinerary and timing to suit your interests. For instance when we hired a guide for three days in St Petersburg our guide asked us each what one thing we most wanted to see in the Hermitage and made sure we saw those paintings ( since in one visit it is impossible to see everything). But I do know than many others refer to as "private tours" what I call non Seabourn group tours. Obviously these are less expensive but you certainly don't get the personalization and flexibility you would with a tire private tours. As far as I can see the only reason to take them is if you are really trying to save money.

Remember that ships' excursions are limited to certain sights. You might have to take two or more per day in order to see the same things you will see on a private tour. Plus you'll have to come back to the ship each time between tours to get the next one. By the time you add up the cost for all these tours, which are charged per person, you will not be paying much less than for the private tours. And that doesn't even take into account all the other benefits of a private tour.

There were 6 of us and we had a guide and driver for 3 days. Our SS trip started in St. Petersburg so we had 2 hotel nights prior to one on the boat before sailing. It is $ but well worth it, somehow the guide knows how and when to get into every venue without waiting. It always looked like secret handshake stuff. Im glad we went when we did but with the ruble down it may be a bargain now. Even with lines it will be worth it.

It always looked like secret handshake stuff. Im glad we went when we did but with the ruble down it may be a bargain now. Even with lines it will be worth it.

We have found the same in various places when using private guides, often entering via the exit to bypass the queues at the entrance.

Edited by ab21au

Since we had visited St. Petersburg (three days) a few years ago and had seen the most important sites, this time we chose to do a private tour. Guide-Guru was highly recommended and they have been very responsive and helpful. We have put together a one day tour with them and will do a ships tour the second day. The price is very reasonable for the two of us. There seems to be a number of very good tour operators there. Our trip isn't August, so can't give you feedback if yours is in June!

In 2013, we visited SPB for two days while sailing on the Pride. We used a private tour company called Red October. Our guide was an English instructor from SPB. We were 100% satisfied. We dealt with Mike Finn - followed his instructions and it was easy.

Rather than taking a tour for just the two of you, I would suggest joining the roll call for your sailing and see if you could find one or two other couples who may be interested in sharing the costs. It isn't quite as exclusive as a tour for two, but keeping up with a small party isn't too bad. Ship's tours are all on big a big bus and in my opinion are pretty awful since you can only move as fast as the absolute slowest person and on Seabourn there could be some very old folks who do not move very well.

We booked with TJ last September for a 3 day tour. I booked one of their standard packages, as part of a group they put together. Yes, they put together a group for us - but there were still only 4 of us. It was a truly brilliant 3 days and such good value! But I guess it was the luck of the draw - I was certainly expecting a slightly larger group!

Personally, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the well known tour companies in St Petersburg, whether you book a "private" tour for just your immediate travelling companions, or as one of the groups organised by one of the "private" tour companies.

My wife and I are new to cruising and will be taking our first cruise on Seabourn in late June to the Baltic Sea. I've been reviewing a number of the forums regarding private excursions in St. Petersburg and have decided that that's probably the best way to see the city. However, I have one question. When folks are referring to private tours, are they referring more generally to tours with private companies (which may include small group tours with private companies, such as TJs, Alla and SPB) as compared to Seabourn excursions, or more specifically to private tours with these private tour operators? With just my wife and I, the cost difference between the two types is significant for 3 days in St. Pete. However, if there's a meaningful difference between small group tours with these companies and private tours with the same companies, I'd like to be mindful of it in making a decision.

We just returned from a fantastic 25 days on the Quest. Took only the ships tours and were very pleased. In Russia we took 4 half day tours and one 8 hour tour. They were all great--especially "A Taste of Russia" where we went to an apartment for tea (64 year old lady who answered all our questions through our guide who interpreted), took a metro, visited a market. Also the 8 hour was to 3 palaces and then a Russian lunch with music and dancing.

There were no more than 25 on each excursion and no one was ever late getting back to bus. Buses were very comfortable.

My wife and i used a private guide for three days in St. Petersburg. Our guide was recommended by a friend who had used her previously. It was an excellent experience. There were times that we spent longer at a site and then had planned and other times we spent shorter than planned. With a ships tour of 30 or 40 people, we would have been tied to the time schedule of the larger group. We were also able to tailor our three days to what we wanted to see. Yes we saw the Summer Palace in the Winter Palace just as everyone else did. However we asked to go to several other areas that interested us that were not part of the ship store. I felt we got a lot more for our money even though we probably spent a little bit more.