Question about traveling with minor without legal guardianship

Cgaope

It doesn't sound like the System even knows this girl exists..... If she was a "Ward of the Court" there would be legal documents placing the girl with her Aunt and allowing the Aunt to sign for everyday things like Medical, School & Travel?????

We have taken my son's friend with us on several cruises and we always carry a notarized paper signed by both of his parents and have never been asked for them. I guess it's a risk. I would definitely looked into it further, as the one poster said they were able to get it documented for just $12.

For years we have sailed with our now 12 year old 'granddaughter', (actually no blood relation, but has been in family since day she was born and is every bit a grandchild as any of the others to us) and while we do have a passport and signed letter from her mother, we have never been asked for the letter. We step up to the counter, handover the passport and that's that. And just as a side note a minor under 16 does not have to have a photo ID.

We have cruised over 10 times with our grandaughters without their parents. I always bring a notarized statement but have never been asked for it. When leaving some foreign ports and upon returning to the US, the girls are sometimes asked who they are traveling with. They simply say their grandparents and that is the end of the questioning.

I agree the OP will probably be fine, but also agree that establishing legal guardianship should be a priority.

Was it just me or did any one else see the 1 hour special on TV in Miami

for the Oasis of the sea. It showed how they restocked the ship getting

it ready for the next sailing. They also showed ten family's that did not

have proper ID. One was a mother taken her daughter on a cruise. They

would not let her board without a signed letter from her husband that

the little girl could cruise with her mother. It took the whole hour show to get a signed letter from the girls father faxed to the port. He just got the letter

faxed to them at the last minute or she would have been denied entry

on the ship. In the same show four of the ten family's were denied

boarding and the ship left with them still in the terminal. So please do

not listen to anybody because you might find yourself not being allowed

boarding. I was a foster parent for nineteen years and I am pretty sure

you do not need a lawyer to get guardianship of your niece. You can

petition the court yourself to become legal guardian.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY SAILING!!!

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your responses. I did initiate legal action to become her guardian but because we cannot locate her father to serve him it has been a long drawn out process.

To clarify some things...I do have a signed letter from her father from before he disappeared giving me rights for school, healthcare etc. It just wasn't notarized which some people had said the cruise line was requiring. This letter has worked fine for all other travel, healthcare and school enrollment. She does also receive social security benefits which I receive on her behalf and she is on my insurance and taxes as a dependent.

We did go on the cruise. I presented her birth certificate and they hardly glanced at it. We had no issue boarding or coming and going from the ship in Mexico, Jamaica or Cayman Islands.

Edited by Cgaope

Thank you all for your responses. I did initiate legal action to become her guardian but because we cannot locate her father to serve him it has been a long drawn out process.

To clarify some things...I do have a signed letter from her father from before he disappeared giving me rights for school, healthcare etc. It just wasn't notarized which some people had said the cruise line was requiring. This letter has worked fine for all other travel, healthcare and school enrollment. She does also receive social security benefits which I receive on her behalf and she is on my insurance and taxes as a dependent.

We did go on the cruise. I presented her birth certificate and they hardly glanced at it. We had no issue boarding or coming and going from the ship in Mexico, Jamaica or Cayman Islands.

Thank you for returning and giving an update.

I told you it would be fine.

Glad you are getting all the legal stuff out of the way, you may need it one day, but I knew you would not need it for a cruise in carnival.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Good outcome.

A suggestion that may ease things. Make an appointment with your local Family Court Judge. (Probably the one the guardianship effort is in front of). Get a letter from Him/Her stating that guardianship actions are underway and that in the opinion of the Court, You are the potential legal guardian for the child and until the final decree is issued, you will have the rights to determine medical care, schools, and travel for the child. The Judge's letter will establish temporary guardianship for you, and possibly speed up the effort. You will probably need to specifically ask for such a letter while talking to the Judge. Point out that as a 13 year old, there are probably medical decisions that are in the offing as well as a driver's license in a couple of years, and that you want to be able to do what is best until the final decree is issued.

Be nice to the Judge and you might be surprised how accommodating they can be.

It probably varies by state (or even county) but I recently pursued legal guardianship and not only did it cost me $2500 in attorney and court costs but it took months to get the paperwork (lawyers are slow) filed and get a hearing. So the OP is probably correct in this being a costly option.

I am surprised that it hasn't become a problem before now. When she is 16 she can apply for a passport without a parent if she takes her id, the birth and death certificate to the agency.