Best way to get to New York Cruise Terminal from Maine

crbinromeme

We do the Concorde bus from Bangor to Boston, then switch to the Greyhound bus. We typically arrive about 6PM the evening before the cruise. Walk from the Port Authority bus station down to the Travel Inn hotel, then the next morning walk to the Pier to get on the ship.

*Free parking at the Concorde bus station in Bangor.

We have done the bus from Portland, then taken Amtrack to NYC, Penn Station as well.

*Parking had a fee in Portland

My brother and his family took Amtrak from Boston to NYC this past March. Took an early (around 6:30AM) train to NYC and then cabbed it from Penn Station to the Pier. His problem was a 9AM return NYC to Boston train. No taxis to be found due to the NYC Marathon. Had to run 13 blocks to Penn Station - with luggage. He did make it but not sure why he didn't have a heart attack.

Allow yourselves lots of time both ways!

Go to the East Coast departure port sub-forum for more tips & info, etc. about transportation for N.E. including NYC - there's about 3 tons worth (just kidding, maybe 1/4 ton's worth of experience, priceless) of helpful details ...

-

Amtrak schedule for the NE Corridor is notarious, allow plenty of extra travel time for anything but on-time arrival, consider arriving the day before - just in case, and give yourself extra time to sightsee NYC before sailing - or, take Bolt Bus or Mega Bus to PABT - if booked ahead, can be very frugal & it's also WiFi equipped for the 3.5 hour ride, downtown BOS to midtown NYC.

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

If you want to do a bus from Boston to NYC (once you get to Boston) I would suggest Peter Pan or Greyhound. Megabus does not drop you off at Port Authority. You might want to get line that will drop you in a toursty section of the city, rather than on some random street corner.

We usually fly Boston to LaGuardia but one of our last trips, we took Amtrak Accela. FAST, easy, and in the end we got to our hotel faster than if we had flown. I'd do it again.

Have taken the train twice from Boston to Pen then a quick taxi ride to the port. So far so good getting there getting home another matter, but it was due to NO TRAINS not getting there once.

Hope to do this again in Oct. but don't expect it to be as easy as leaving from the NCL port. Understand Red Hook is very hard to get to from Penn as Princess has no transfers from the train station.

Never knew the bus was a shorter trip if I could get my husband on a long bus ride :).

Never knew the bus was a shorter trip if I could get my husband on a long bus ride :).

Eh... The bus is really only shorter at certain times of the day. Not only does it have to maneuver Manhattan traffic, but Downtown Boston as well.

My brother and his family took Amtrak from Boston to NYC this past March. Took an early (around 6:30AM) train to NYC and then cabbed it from Penn Station to the Pier. His problem was a 9AM return NYC to Boston train. No taxis to be found due to the NYC Marathon. Had to run 13 blocks to Penn Station - with luggage. He did make it but not sure why he didn't have a heart attack.

Allow yourselves lots of time both ways!

I guess your brother ran his own marathon.

If you take Amtrak Down Easter from Portland to Boston, you will arrive at North Station. Continuing your journey to NYC, will require a cab ride over to South Station. A taxi will be easier than dragging luggage on the Subway or walking.

Amtrak for New York and points south, leave from South Station.

I recommend traveling to New York the day before the cruise, in case of transportation snags.

We drive to Cape Liberty but for our NY cruises we take public transportation (Ex-NYer now in Maine). Last year we flew, but for our upcoming Breakaway cruise we looked at driving, but with parking at the port 2 times what NJ was, we decided that $312 for 3 Boston to Penn station Amtrak tickets was MUCH better than gas, parking and probably an overnight stop so we're not over-tired when we get there. Family will drive us to Boston. We're coming in the day before and I'm waiting to find a deal on a hotel.

For next year, we're looking at HAL Boston to Bermuda. I hate flying and wish they'd do more from Boston! Or Portland even....just sayin' [emoji16]

NCL does offer (for a fee) a shuttle bus service from a town just South of Boston to the pier in NYC too. We looked into it (because the pick up point is about a 15 minute drive from our house) but Amtrak is cost effective.

I love trains, love Amtrak, but you should NOT trust them for day of sailing arrival. The odds are you would make it on time because you're traveling in the northeast corridor, but they are still notoriously unreliable. If you can swing it come in the day before and take a gander at NYC, sleep in an inexpensive hotel and arrive at the terminal relaxed and refreshed the next day. :)

We drive to Cape Liberty but for our NY cruises we take public transportation (Ex-NYer now in Maine). Last year we flew, but for our upcoming Breakaway cruise we looked at driving, but with parking at the port 2 times what NJ was, we decided that $312 for 3 Boston to Penn station Amtrak tickets was MUCH better than gas, parking and probably an overnight stop so we're not over-tired when we get there. Family will drive us to Boston. We're coming in the day before and I'm waiting to find a deal on a hotel.

For next year, we're looking at HAL Boston to Bermuda. I hate flying and wish they'd do more from Boston! Or Portland even....just sayin' [emoji16]

Me too, We live in Massachusetts, and would love to see cruise operations expanded in Boston. More ships with varied itineraries.