Other than ship tours advice.

Ethel5

I have tried to search this but got no where. Has anyone had any experience with using Shoretrips dot com? We are on a budget and they offer a package of three tours in three ports that would give us a good overview.

You didn't specify which package you were looking at, but I looked at their website, and most of their "packages" you can do by yourself (or with separate tours) for cheaper.

Edited by Illyria

I never recommend using "Shore trips" in Alaska, and certainly not package tours. However- It depends on YOU. Are ALL three of these "tours" YOUR preference and what YOU want to see and do? Or is it a "compromise" and time occupation? It greatly depends what the package is? If you want more information- post the tour details here.

You mention "budget"- so I would suggest not spending money if it isn't exactly what you want, with a 3 tour package, likely not the best use of funds.

I was referred to this site and a lot of the excursions they offered were actually more expensive then the ship was. There's a meet and greet for my upcoming cruise on another site and a lot of people were going to do the triple tour package, but realized none of it was really what they wanted and it could be booked independently cheaper.

I was referred to this site and a lot of the excursions they offered were actually more expensive then the ship was. There's a meet and greet for my upcoming cruise on another site and a lot of people were going to do the triple tour package, but realized none of it was really what they wanted and it could be booked independently cheaper.

This triple product likely includes a Juneau city, drive by tour and a short Mendenhall stop. A round trip Klondike Highway trip to Fraser, and a stop at Saxman Village with a "city tour" drive by. All of these have some negatives in my opinion, too short of a time at Mendenhall, better alternative options in Ketchikan.

I will also speculate that the the roll call choices are from first timers, and an element of "follow the leader" being misguided.

Alaska touring is always best, making your OWN choices.

But I've been traveling enough to know there are all kinds of people. I'm just off a cruise this week, with a LOT of people who did NOTHING in port, which worked out for them.

I agree, but I will always book on my own regardless of where I'm cruising. Except the TAF excursion since that can only be booked with the line.

With my roll call group when it was pointed out this site had no real value the only person who argued to use it was the TA who had booked like 5 couples for our sailing. She clearly wanted a commission of some sort.

I agree, but I will always book on my own regardless of where I'm cruising. Except the TAF excursion since that can only be booked with the line.

With my roll call group when it was pointed out this site had no real value the only person who argued to use it was the TA who had booked like 5 couples for our sailing. She clearly wanted a commission of some sort.

There's the answer. :) TA, to "recommend" this, also, likely has little experience even being in Alaska.

I get emails all the time from TA's with pitiful questions, that I consider almost fraudulent when they are "recommending" tours for clients.

Donna - you are better to book direct with the companies. It shouldn't cost you anything more.

Shoretrips is like a 3rd party and sometimes communications between the 3rd party and vendor can get screwed up.

You may want to post the excursions you are interested in and we can offer suggestions.

Enjoy Alaska!

Donna - you are better to book direct with the companies. It shouldn't cost you anything more.

Shoretrips is like a 3rd party and sometimes communications between the 3rd party and vendor can get screwed up.

You may want to post the excursions you are interested in and we can offer suggestions.

Enjoy Alaska!

Thanks Coral! Our TA (who likes lemon drops) had this link on her web site so I thought I'd ask. This is my 4th time to Alaska but I thought it might be a good overview for my daughter. I've gone ahead and made my own itinerary.:)

Thanks Coral! Our TA (who likes lemon drops) had this link on her web site so I thought I'd ask. This is my 4th time to Alaska but I thought it might be a good overview for my daughter. I've gone ahead and made my own itinerary.:)

Got it! I hadn't realized you had been to Alaska.

Have a great time with family!