Navigator - Suites beneath the Pool Deck

Hello

Having taken seven cruises with Silversea in recent years, my wife and I have become increasingly disenchanted with the offer.

We are therefore trying some other companies, which is likely to include Regent, onboard the Navigator for 24 nights next year.

As it is quite a long trip we would like a little more space so we're probably going with the Navigator suite category.

There is however one potential negative we have noticed - the Navigator suites are below the Pool Deck.

We've had a couple of bad experiences on other ships, with crew dragging sun loungers across the deck early in the morning & evening, creating a horrible environment for those guests accommodated below.

I guess the situation is what it is, but has anyone experienced this category of suite who could offer any comment or guidance on this issue ?

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the Regent board. My first suggestion is to ask your travel agent whether suite 1125 (a Navigator suite) is available. It is a one of a kind suite and is in a good location.

In terms of being under the pool, our only experience having a suite under the pool was on the Voyager and we did hear scraping of chairs, etc. and have not booked a suite under the pool since. I can only assume that the noise would be the same on the Navigator.

The regular suites on the Navigator are quite a good size so you may want to reconsider that.

If you are sensitive to noise then being under the pool deck in one of the Navigator suites can be a problem. If you decided to book a Navigator suite on deck 9 then I would especially recommend that you be certain your suite is not under the Pool Grill area (such as suite 938). Daily preparations at the Pool Grill begin quite early.

My wife and I stayed in 938 and because we are both light sleepers we will not be doing that again. Several mornings the crew started moving things around before the sun came up. We voiced our concerns to the proper members of management and things got a little better but not much. Just comes with the territory I guess.

Edited by shuguley

TravelCat2 / shuguley - thank you so much for your prompt and valuable replies, which unfortunately confirmed my concerns.

Since posting I have found a review online from Douglas Ward, the author of the Berlitz Cruise Guide. He states :-

Next in size are the superb Navigator Suites, which unfortunately are located directly underneath the swimming pool deck and are subject to noise attacks at 6am daily, when deck cleaning is carried out.

Such a shame, as the Navigator suite meets our needs, but as the itinerary we are considering has 13 sea days, constant 'chair scraping' is a no no.

Thank you again.

The crew have gotten the morning routine fairly well worked out. They are instructed to carry the chairs and set them into position so as to avoid scrapping and noise. There is the occasion sounds when guest move the chairs during the day.

The one noise area they cannot seem to get control is the use of rolling carts, particularity near the eating areas. A cart full of food or dishes will really create a rattle that goes right through the deck. So if you are going to take a cabin below the pool deck, stay away from those nearer the eating and serving areas.

j

The crew have gotten the morning routine fairly well worked out. They are instructed to carry the chairs and set them into position so as to avoid scrapping and noise. There is the occasion sounds when guest move the chairs during the day.

The one noise area they cannot seem to get control is the use of rolling carts, particularity near the eating areas. A cart full of food or dishes will really create a rattle that goes right through the deck. So if you are going to take a cabin below the pool deck, stay away from those nearer the eating and serving areas.

j

Thank you for the insight JMARINER - I appreciate it, particularly as we were thinking that under the Pool Grill may be the safest bet !

There is of course one other aspect they cannot control - passengers. With 13 sea days, in a warm climate, the Pool Deck is going to be very busy for much of the time.

We have experienced this before on another ship and the constant moving of loungers in/out of the sun and frequent up/down at outside dining tables can be as intrusive as the crew cleaning at 6am.

I think this situation exists on many ships and one's personal sensitivity to this type of noise informs whether to book this type of cabin.

We stayed in 932 on one cruise and although I don't remember much noise in the mornings, there was a corporate group on board that liked to socialize on the pool deck every - EVERY - night until the wee hours. Clomping, chairs scraping, etc...it took numerous calls to the desk and a few 'personal visits' from my wife (NOT a pleasant experience if you've interrupted her sleep) to get things somewhat under control.

Personally I don't think it would have been that much of a problem had it not been for the corporate group, but it IS something to be cognizant of.

Thank you for the insight JMARINER - I appreciate it, particularly as we were thinking that under the Pool Grill may be the safest bet !

There is of course one other aspect they cannot control - passengers. With 13 sea days, in a warm climate, the Pool Deck is going to be very busy for much of the time.

We have experienced this before on another ship and the constant moving of loungers in/out of the sun and frequent up/down at outside dining tables can be as intrusive as the crew cleaning at 6am.

I think this situation exists on many ships and one's personal sensitivity to this type of noise informs whether to book this type of cabin.

On the Nav, the starboard side is better as to the "Grill" noise. Under Prime 7 is ok as they do not do anything in the AM and the room is carpeted. The hallway into La Veranda is in the middle of the ship so no noise from there.

j